Mexico: Affordable Handmade Furniture

Table and chairs made by Casa Latina in PDC (source: Q-Roo Paul)

When we lived in Florida, we always bought our furniture from large department or furniture stores. When you shop at places like that, you can’t have anything customized. In fact, they only give you two options: buy it or don’t.

We certainly never considered meeting with a furniture builder to have something handmade to our specifications. That seemed like a luxury reserved for rich folks — or at least folks with a lot more money than we had.

My ideas about the affordability of handmade furniture changed when we moved to Mexico.

Mexico’s Furniture Builders

Since moving to Mexico, I have met several highly-skilled woodworkers and furniture builders. They build furniture out of real wood, not that laminated particle board that most of my furniture in Florida was made out of.

I’ve been impressed with both the quality, price and level of customer service that these businesses provide.

Many will come to your home to discuss the options, take measurements and allow you to view samples under the natural light of the room. In fact, we’re having someone stop by today to give us an estimate on building a desk that fits in a specific corner of the condo.

As far as prices are concerned, you’ll find that they are comparable to those of furniture sold in department stores. When you factor in the superior quality of the handmade pieces, they often become the more economical choice.

Our newest neighbors just bought several pieces of handmade furniture and they let me snap a few pics to include in the article.

Cabinet from Casa Latina in PDC (Source: Q-Roo Paul)

Bed with pull out drawers underneath & night stands from Casa Latina in PDC (Source: Q-Roo Paul)

The vast majority of the expats that we’ve met have at least one piece of handmade furniture in their home.

I considered visiting several of them to get more pictures for the article — but then the sun came out and I went to the beach instead. Seriously, can you blame me? In any event, you get the idea.

If you do decide to go with handmade furniture, take the time to shop around and visit multiple locations. Also, don’t be afraid to negotiate the price — especially if you’re buying multiple items.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) is a former lieutenant from the Polk County Sheriff's Office in Florida. During his 25-year career, he received numerous commendations to include two of the agency's top honors: a Meritorious Service Medal and a Medal of Valor. In 2015, Paul retired and moved to Mexico with his wife. He now spends his days enjoying the Riviera Maya and blogging from the beach.

23 Comments on "Mexico: Affordable Handmade Furniture"

1. Very nice Paul and no I don’t blame your for heading to the beach 🙂

2. Paul, do you know of other furniture builders other than Casa Latina? I’ll be down in May to talk to furniture builders and would love to know if there are others that you’ve heard good things about.

• There is an entire row of furniture builders on the north side of Playa on 307. Go to the area of Casa Latina and you will see several more.

3. Hey guys,

This post was perfect timing, we just moved into our first non-furnished apartments here in Playa. I realize you probably don’t want to throw out prices here on the site, but I’d love to hear a ballpark of some of the prices for these pieces of furniture, they’re really beautiful. We’re looking into bedside tables, a headboard, and a tv stand but don’t want to break the bank.

Thanks again for your posts, very informative as always.

• It has a lot to do with the quality of the wood you choose etc. The bed (not including mattress) is probably the most expensive item at about $29,000 MXN. It is all wood and has four drawers for storage. Liverpool has a bed (no drawers) on sale on their site for $36,049 MXN. The regular price is $51,499 MXN. Liverpool is a pricier store but the quality tends to be better than many other stores. For SUPER inexpensive furniture to fill an apartment, you might want to check Telebodega.

As far as the night stand, it runs around $7,999 MXN. A night table at Liverpool with no drawers (just a basic table) runs $7,699.

4. Janet Resendiz | April 10, 2017 at 9:51 am | Reply

Great article. Glad to know things like this are available.

5. That cabinet is absolutely beautiful!!

6. what a great idea. I’ll look some up when we move to San Miguel de Allende in October. I’m certain there will be some furniture makers there.

7. Karen Mickool | April 10, 2017 at 10:35 am | Reply

Sometimes the custom is even less than department store prices. We just ordered a few pieces for ourselves. The carpenter and his assistant were at our place at 8 pm — measuring and designing as they went! It was marvelous!!

8. Charles Benfante | April 10, 2017 at 10:37 am | Reply

I live in Lagos de Moreno and have had various tables, a credenza, and a trunk for the end of my bed custom built. Can’t beat the workmanship and you get to pick the wood and colors or the stain. And the prices here are even better than where you are.

9. We hired a company Dalin Houzz to make all our furniture and we couldn’t be happier. (you can find them on Facebook). Very good quality and fair prices. We sent photos of stuff we wanted and they copied them and some other things they came up with themselves.

BTW I think we saw you and your wife at El Fogon yesterday!

10. erica fortier | April 10, 2017 at 10:51 am | Reply

I truly admire people like you who can make a drastic change in their lives…I would love to do this and am looking into it to see if it is possible for me…This is inspiring…Have a great day and I am sure you will. I just spent a week in Puerto Vallarta and since I came back to Canada I am homesick for the people and atmosphere there…

11. Paul, yes there are some very fine custom furniture makers in our area. If this Casa Latina shown in the photo captions is located on the north end of PDC on the 307, they are not one of them. This store is a retailer of furniture made in factories throughout mostly Mexico but not custom as you seem to think the name implies. One can not go into this store and order a specific design with your specific dimensions, color finish, and special touches that are provided through a custom shop.

We have many pieces of individual furniture made by locals and are very pleased with them. Some have been done by a shop in PDC and some have been done by carpenters in Merida. There is also a custom woodworking shop in the poblado Puerto Aventuras that does good custom work.

We have only been disappointed by the products from Casa Latina, not thrilled as they also hae the particleboard/laminate construction while the custom stuff is really wood.

Respectfully submitted

• The pieces shown are from Casa Latina. Maybe they’ve made some changes there.

The neighbors chose these pieces by looking at similar items at the store but then ordered customized pieces that fit their needs better. For example, they liked the dining room table but they needed it smaller to better fit their condo. They also looked at a very large piece for the wine bottles and then had one made that was smaller as well. They chose the number of drawers, the finish, the handles etc.

• We’re having a small desk built to fit a corner in the condo but we’re using a different furniture builder.

• Cherry Scott | April 13, 2017 at 6:22 am | Reply

Hello Rivk. I am new to Puerto Aventuras. Could you please give me specifics please about how to find the custom shop you mentioned? It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

12. My husband and I live in Puerta Vallarta and have had several pieces of furniture made to our specifications over the years including a Murphy Bed. You’re right, in the states, we would never have considered having anything made since we couldn’t afford it.

13. We recently had 3 beds made by Cassona, a king, queen, and a single trundle bed and they are beautiful. My wife designed all 3 – a 4-poster King bed with round posts and a nice canopy and drawers, a queen with a very unique tzalam, lighted-Onyx headboard and drawers, and a live edge tzalam wood piece attached to the wall by the trundle bed. The workmanship is exquisite, and the woods are beautiful. We’re in the process of having a “cenote” made as well as a wall cabinet/desk unit.
    There are so many great carpenters/woodworkers in the Playa area alone.

14. Thanks for sharing the information with all of us. I will be looking for a furnished place when I first move and rent for a while but I am sure that I will have some things made. I just love the first photo that you have of the dining table……………..beautiful

15. Donna Norstadt | April 10, 2017 at 7:36 pm | Reply

All the furniture in our home, beds, tables chairs and couch, end tables, entertainment center. were built by local carpenters. Also had our kitchen and bathroom cupboards built. The wood is fantastic. We have used 4 different carpenters and there certainly is a difference but generally speaking the wood used is far superior to anything I could afford in the states. I am one happy customer.

16. Head north of Tulum to Macario Gomez. My furniture is being constructed as we speak. Craftsmanship, price and easy to deal with. Love mexico builders