New Series! Spanish for Retirees Living in Mexico

Back in 2015, I created a handful of video lessons to help retirees learn Spanish. I abandoned the project after a few months and started blogging.

I now have several friends and neighbors here in Mexico who don’t speak Spanish but would like to learn. I decided the easiest way to teach them all at the same time was to start making video lessons again.

I don’t want to hold myself to a set schedule, but the goal right now is one new lesson a week. We’ll see how it goes.

Introduction Video

We definitely look thinner in the animated form — we both like that!

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) is a former lieutenant from the Polk County Sheriff's Office in Florida. During his 25-year career, he received numerous commendations to include two of the agency's top honors: a Meritorious Service Medal and a Medal of Valor. In 2015, Paul retired and moved to Mexico with his wife. He now spends his days enjoying the Riviera Maya and blogging from the beach.

48 Comments on "New Series! Spanish for Retirees Living in Mexico"

1. Roger Higgins | June 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm | Reply

Thank you SO much for this. Because of health issues I cannot leave my home much at all, and thus taking lessons has proved to be more than difficult for me. I’m hoping this can help me learn and be able to communicate with my maid, and others who do not speak english making my life frustrating at time. So wonderful of you to make this available for everyone else in Mexico and not just your neighbors and friends!

Mil gracias!

roger

2. This is awesome! Can’t wait to learn. Thanks!

3. As a frequent traveler to Mexico, specifically Cozumel a LOT, I am looking forward to your new series. The Mexican people seem to appreciate any effort made by us Gringos. I have had several help me with my words, and even teach me new ones. Thanks Paul & Linda !

4. Lisa Alvarez | June 16, 2017 at 12:49 pm | Reply

Yay!! I look forward to the lessons!

5. Sue McDanald | June 16, 2017 at 1:06 pm | Reply

Great! Looking forward to this!

6. Ethel aka Fran | June 16, 2017 at 1:09 pm | Reply

Great idea! I will be able to speak the language with my Mexican friends that live in Texas and the ones at Church even though they all speak English. I’m ready to learn!!

7. Mucho Gracias!!! this is perfect for us, we are gonna enrol in a beginner spanish class here in Delta, BC but this will be way more helpfull

8. Thanks for doing these (and for your blog).

9. Thanks so much fro doing this πŸ™‚

10. Luanne Bauer | June 16, 2017 at 1:19 pm | Reply

This is wonderful, Paul. We really need this.

11. Thanks look forward to viewing. Love your blog

12. Queen Michele | June 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm | Reply

Much APPRECIATED!!!

13. Great idea!

14. Sandy Kroeger | June 16, 2017 at 2:19 pm | Reply

This is so great. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to do this for all of us!!!

15. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was worrying how i was going to survive when i got there.

16. gracias

17. Tom Turnbull | June 16, 2017 at 2:50 pm | Reply

Thanks for all your efforts. Really appreciated.

18. Thanks for doing this! We love Mexico but don’t speak Spanish. We always feel bad that our language skills are so limited. (Dos cervezas, por favor)

19. I have taken much Spanish in the last few years but have yet to find a teacher/course with your knack for teaching. Without a doubt you have exceeded by far any teacher that I have had. Your pronunciation is first class and your approach is definitely skilled and sensitive. Comprehension is my problem which requires a lot of repetition on the part of the teacher and learner and this was evident to me from the start of your 2015 course. I look forward to each new lesson with anticipation,

20. Hahaha. I love your Avatars. What software did you use?.

As for the Spanish lessons, I think is very selfless of you two. Great help for those who might need it.

Best wishes, and Thank you.

21. Brian Swisher | June 16, 2017 at 3:00 pm | Reply

Paul – This is awesome! I took Spanish for 6 years in elementary and high school and wish I kept up with it to be fluent. I plan on visiting your videos to refresh my memory.

I am in the process of buying land in Tulum (Region 15), with development plans 5 years down the road. I am so excited to embark on this journey and have been keeping up with your blog, FB channel, and YouTube channel since I found you several months ago :).

22. Corrie Keich | June 16, 2017 at 3:02 pm | Reply

Looking forward to your lessons! I need them!

23. Blake Madhburn | June 16, 2017 at 3:02 pm | Reply

Looking forward to this! Muchas gracias!

24. You guys Rock!

25. Gracias, mis amigos. I have a rudimentary (very) knowledge and my wife speaks none, so this will help us both. Thanks again for this!!!

26. Rene H Dobbins | June 16, 2017 at 3:52 pm | Reply

Let the lessons begin

27. Thanks πŸ™‚

28. Joann & David | June 16, 2017 at 4:09 pm | Reply

So excited to get started!!!!!

29. Thank you so much for picking this back up. I received your email indicating that you’re going to start the Spanish video lessons back up. We appreciate the time it takes you to provide this information. Actually, I appreciate all the time that you spend doing the blog as well and spreading good information. Keep up the good work.

30. Awesome, I am in & thank you for your kindness

31. Gabriela Inigo | June 16, 2017 at 5:26 pm | Reply

I was a Spanish instructor at Lake Tahoe Community College and at the University of Morelos in Cuernavaca. I am retired now, but if you would like some support or ideas on conjugations, subject pronouns, or some grammar ideas, let me know. Congratulations on your project.

32. Looking forward to learning the basics of the Spanish language. Gracias!!

33. Living in South Florida and teaching at a very diverse high school, I had to learn vocabulary from South Am., Central Am., Cuba, Puerto Rico and Dominican Rep. I taught h.s. Spanish for 39 years, 33 in Florida, so I am happy that I had the opportunity to “diversify” my Mexican vocabulary. Best of luck Paul! This is a GREAT idea!

34. Looking forward to this!

35. Rick Plourde | June 16, 2017 at 8:40 pm | Reply

Just what the doctor ordered,
    you guys are the best. We are so thankful for all you share with us.

Gracias !

Rick & Flower

36. Kasha Rudner | June 16, 2017 at 11:53 pm | Reply

Thank you do much Paul, looking forward to supliment my Duo Lingo lessons with your tutorials!

37. I speak poquito espaΓ±ol but would like to watch your videos because they are specific to Mexico. I think this is a great idea and am looking forward to getting started! Muchas gracias.

38. You guys are so cute!

39. Loretta and Louis | June 17, 2017 at 6:26 am | Reply

We will be moving down to Playa in August and we can’t thank you enough for all the info we have received from your posts. Now we are sooooo excited for your Spanish lessons. Thanks, we would LOVE to meet up with you someday soon.

40. Great idea! We speak pretty good Spanish, but for alot of folks this will be very helpful. Beach on!

41. Thank you! This is brilliant, my Spanish teacher in town has gone back home to look after a relative and I’ve let my Spanish slip. Looking forward to first lesson!

42. I can not wait!!!!

43. David Atkinson | June 17, 2017 at 12:57 pm | Reply

Paul – my wife and I have tried many systems (Berlitz, Rosetta Stone and even Spanish for Dummies) and none have met our expectations. We, very much look forward to your attempt to educate us. Thank you very much for your selfless dedication to helping others without asking for anything in return. I would like to meet you someday and buy you a cerveza fria or a margarita. – David (and Jinny)

44. Tracy and Glenn McDougall | June 18, 2017 at 11:26 am | Reply

Paul, what an absolutely fantastic idea! I just realized it’s a video tutorial and not face-to-face lesson to be attended while in Akumal. I’ve already started the process by listing to the intro, and it’s great. I’m going to be taking advantage of this terrific idea you guys have come up with.

We’re with David Atkinson above, and we’ll definitely buy you both a drink when in Akumal in Feb 2018.

Thanks so much!

45. So excited to begin. Thank you.