Spanish for Retirees: Lesson 1

This is the first lesson of our Spanish series designed for English-speaking retirees living in Mexico.

Since the course is for people with little or no knowledge of Spanish, we’re starting with the basics.

Additional Lessons

On 07/31/17, we made the decision to stop posting new lessons on the blog site.

All of our Spanish lessons can now be found on our YouTube channel:

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) is a former lieutenant from the Polk County Sheriff's Office in Florida. During his 25-year career, he received numerous commendations to include two of the agency's top honors: a Meritorious Service Medal and a Medal of Valor. In 2015, Paul retired and moved to Mexico with his wife. He now spends his days enjoying the Riviera Maya and blogging from the beach.

48 Comments on "Spanish for Retirees: Lesson 1"

1. Tracy and Glenn McDougall | June 18, 2017 at 11:20 am | Reply

Paul, first of all, I love the depiction of you in the email, really does look like you šŸ™‚
    I think this is an AMAZING idea. Once Glenn and I are ready to get the heck out of Ottawa for our long winters, and if the course is still being provided, we will absolutely be signing up.
    Love your newsletters!!

2. Sandy Kroeger | June 18, 2017 at 11:26 am | Reply

Something I did not know, thanks. Great start to the lessons

3. Hi Paul
    I am reasonably functional in Spanish and I spent a couple of years here taking private lessons. Although I’m well beyond beginners level, just for fun I took a peak at you first lesson. It was great! I still struggle with getting those sounds correct it was a good reminder. Thanks for the help

4. Thanks Psul. Very helpful. Looking forward to more.

5. Thanks so much for this lesson. Spanish makes more sense to me.

6. Thanks Paul. Looking forward to the others. You make it look easy.

7. Gracias

8. Suzanne Wells | June 18, 2017 at 12:43 pm | Reply

When I lived in Italy, a trick I used was to use verbs which are followed by a verb in its infinitive form. I like to swim. I want to go to the store. I have to leave now. I prefer to speak Spanish. By using this trick, I avoided having to learn all of the tenses of verbs (especially irregular tense forms). Although learned in Italy, it often works in Mexico. One problem I do have is using an Italian word without thinking. I usually catch myself and correct it. However, the woman at the corner fruit stand thinks I AM Italian!

• Great tip, Suzanne. I teach something similar but I throw in a way to make 150 verbs from your English without any memorization required.

Linda is trying to learn Italian and she mixes up the two from time to time. They are so close.

9. It says the video is unavailable

10. Great 1st lesson!

11. Muchas gracias!

12. Marie Bombardiere | June 18, 2017 at 1:13 pm | Reply

Great 1st lesson! Knowing the correct vowel sounds helps me a lot, I speak a small amount of spanish, however my annunciation is poor.
    Thanks!

13. Taking Spaish lessons in San Cristobal but this has never been discussed. A huge help. Thank you šŸ™‚

14. Rick Plourde | June 18, 2017 at 1:35 pm | Reply

Love it !
    Thanks again Paul, it really helps.

15. Thanks! This is awesome and I can’t wait to meet you both one day in person !

16. We love Akumal and for the past few years have loved going to Holbox. Learning to speak Spanish would be wonderful or at least the basics. Thank hou for this!

17. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! Thank you for the lesson. I especially love the pictures of you and your wife in the background!!

18. Lisa Aschberger | June 18, 2017 at 3:29 pm | Reply

lol…I really loved the donut and cup of coffee about 1/3 of the way through…you guys crack me up!!! Thank you for doing this!!!!

• haha, you’re welcome!

• Jennifer Amann | June 19, 2017 at 11:14 am | Reply

I totally agree!! I was laughing so hard about the donut! Thanks Paul for all your effort and time. Love the Spanish lessons and really learn some great tips from your website. Muchas Gracias from El Parral, Chiapas, MX.

19. I love that you started this series! I look forward to the next video!

20. Sherry in Texas | June 18, 2017 at 6:00 pm | Reply

Thank you for taking time to make this great lesson!.

21. Very good….gracias

22. I am so excited about this!!! I have been so frustrated trying to learn pronunciation…you should call this Spanish for dummies..lol. seriously, thank you!

23. Penni K Warren | June 18, 2017 at 9:29 pm | Reply

This is wonderful! Keep them coming. Thank you!

24. J. R. Pelayo | June 18, 2017 at 11:48 pm | Reply

Great lesson. Gracias !!!!

25. This video was adorable, and like all your posts very informative, well laid out, and to the point. I speak enough Spanish to have already mastered the pronunciation (more or less for a gringa) and something else I took the trouble to do when I was starting to learn Spanish, was memorize the entire alphabet in Spanish. It was / is extremely helpful. I am so happy I found your blog! So looking forward to retiring in Mexico in the next few years.

26. Super valuable info and presented so catchy and entertaining as well as teaching us!
    Can’t wait for the next one!
    Muchas Gracias

27. Thank you for doing this.

28. Brian Degeer | June 19, 2017 at 7:09 am | Reply

Love the Spanish lesson! Very well done. Gracias.
    Brian
    Canada / Cancun

29. Thank you for doing this. It’s so helpful.

30. The lesson was awesome. The video is so cute! What software do you use? I just love it. I’ll be following along.

31. mounddweller | June 19, 2017 at 9:19 am | Reply

I’ve been doing duolingo for over a year but still found your first lesson to be informative and helpful. Keep them coming and thanks!

32. Karen Standish | June 19, 2017 at 12:25 pm | Reply

I am really going to enjoy this! Thanks!

33. Thanks Paul.I also bought the book you recommended ventanas mexico

34. Thank you, Paul! Great start!
    Brenda

35. Kasha Rudner | June 19, 2017 at 11:34 pm | Reply

Loved the first lesson, looking forward to more.
    Thank you!!!

36. This is brilliant, Paul! I arrived in Akumal, to live full time, yesterday and was talking to a neighbour who is fluent in Spanish and I was telling her the pronunciation is what concerns me most. I now feel confident that I can at least get the vowels right. I also love the animation. Thank you.

• Welcome to Akumal, Glenda! Also, thanks for the kind words about the lesson. There are lots more in the works!

37. Susan Allard Snider McKee | June 20, 2017 at 10:15 am | Reply

Thank you so much Paul for doing this. It is very helpful. Since I am an English person who lives in Ottawa where a lot of French is spoken, I have no trouble rolling my RA. From the first time I went to Mexico I found I could read a lot of the words. As you said the root words were the same in both English or French. Although I don’t speak French I do understand most of it. But I find understanding difficult when in a group of friends who are all speaking fast. I imagine it could be the same in Spanish. But I love to try anyway.

38. Kathy Perkins | June 20, 2017 at 5:17 pm | Reply

This is a great help to me and my husband. We moved to La Paz, BCS last September and each had a decent vocabulary and use of Spanish. Your lessons are a good reminder of the basics and I really enjoy your animation of the lesson.

39. Thank you so much for developing these lessons. Most helpful!