Our Experience Having Furniture Built in Mexico

Custom furniture built by Ferro & Legno in Playa del Carmen (Source: Q-Roo Paul)

A couple of our friends who recently moved to the same community that we live in, were in need of furniture for their new condo and they weren’t happy with anything that they saw at the local department stores. They decided to look into having some custom pieces built by one of the many furniture builders in Playa del Carmen.

Their first attempt didn’t go well and they absolutely hated the piece of furniture produced by the first shop they chose. The furniture was poorly constructed and they returned it for a full refund. By the way, don’t bother asking me for the name of that first shop — it wouldn’t be fair to them to include their name in the article.

Our friends didn’t give up and somehow they found a small furniture shop that had recently opened called Ferro & Legno, which means Iron and Wood in Italian. After meeting with the owners of the shop, our friends decided to commission them to build a dining room table and a wine cabinet.

Our friends would tell us how they were continually consulted during the production process and that they received photos of the progress.

After a few weeks, their pieces were delivered and we were all extremely impressed by the workmanship. Both pieces were absolutely beautiful and were constructed with quality materials.

That’s when Linda and I decided to commission them to build us a coffee table and a television stand.

Our Experience

Our experience with Ferro & Legno was similar to that of our friends. They continually consulted with  us during the production process and sent pictures of the progress.

We even got to choose the three sections of solid wood used in the coffee table and the order they would be appear in.

What impressed us most was their enthusiasm and passion for building furniture. They are truly artists and take great pride in their work. They were a pleasure to work with.

Our pieces arrived a few weeks later and we were extremely pleased. How could we not be? We helped design them.

Coffee table by Ferro & Legno (Source: Q-Roo Paul)

Cabinet and television stand by Ferro & Legno (Source: Q-Roo Paul)

About Ferro & Legno

This company has an interesting backstory, so I decided to include it in my post.

The two partners in the company, Luca and Andrea are originally from Italy and have been best friends since they were 12 years old. In Italy, Luca was an operations manager for Hitachi and Andrea built furniture in a small family run business that produced pieces for a well-known Italian brand.

Luca fell in love with a Mexican woman and married her. At the wedding, Andrea met the sister of the bride and they later married. The two couples moved to Mexico to start a new life in the Riviera Maya.

I love a good expat love story.

The two men started Ferro & Legno with the vision of producing unique, personalized pieces of furniture based on the particular client’s needs and wants. They believe in the importance of collaborating with the client throughout the creative process to ensure that the finished piece is exactly what the client envisioned.

Contact Information

You can contact them by phone, Whatsapp, or Facebook. They speak English, Spanish and Italian.

Cell and Whatsapp: 01 984-108-2959 (from a foreign cellphone: +52 1 984-108-2959)

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/Ferro-Legno-1927396770861648/

Prices

Having furniture designed and built to your specifications is surprisingly affordable. In most cases, the price is comparable to, or even less than, that of prefabricated furniture sold in department stores and the quality is superior. Of course, the price can vary quite a bit depending on the type of wood that you choose.

The downside to this experience is that now Linda wants to commission them to build additional pieces of furniture. At times like this, I’m glad that we live in a small condo with limited space.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) is a former lieutenant from the Polk County Sheriff's Office in Florida. During his 25-year career, he received numerous commendations to include two of the agency's top honors: a Meritorious Service Medal and a Medal of Valor. In 2015, Paul retired and moved to Mexico with his wife. He now spends his days enjoying the Riviera Maya and blogging from the beach.

20 Comments on "Our Experience Having Furniture Built in Mexico"

1. Christine verbeke | August 29, 2017 at 9:48 am | Reply

Love the coffee table! I live in the state of Sonora so not feasible for me. Wish I had an economical way to get some pieces. What was the price on the table if you don’t mind me asking??

2. Looks great!

3. Beautiful. How nice to work so closely with the artists, designing your special pieces

4. Wow!! Beautiful pieces! Love the story of the furniture makers.

5. They did a beautiful job. Had a few pieces made in Cozumel. Prefer it to what our options were in pre made furniture. Wonderful artist on the island.

6. BTW. My 9 year old grandson is taking your Spanish lessons and he is enjoying them. He loves it that you are retired LEO like his paw paw. Thanks so much for the lessons. We have to step up our studies he is passing us. Lol. We love Cozumel and love the fact that he and his mom are there for a year. Such a wonderful opportunity for him to have a year abroad to live. Making fantastic memories.

• That’s great to hear. I plan on posting another lesson in the soon.

Cozumel is a beautiful place. We visit there about once every couple of months.

7. Charles Benfante | August 29, 2017 at 10:28 am | Reply

I have had a custom built cabinet and end tables. The prices was even better than the stores and the workmanship is great.

8. Hi Paul – we have been living down in Mahahual for several years and have been kicking around the Yucatan for longer. Custom woodworking is unbelievable in the Yucatan. I would recommend to you and to others that live in the area to travel south to Limones where there are saw mills and custom shops everywhere, with fantastic local woods. If you send me an address I will send pictures of the furniture – and in fact we had our condo outfitted with 100% craftsmen made materials, including doors. I just made some curtain rods out of the wood that is used in palapas, and then designed some custom curtain rod hangers, took it to a shop in Limones, and they produced 24 of them for me. And the prices are unbelievable as well.

One of my sons is an amateur woodworker, building tables, desks, etc for people. He and I have toured the shops and sawmills around here.

They have many types of wood – cedro(cedar) & caoba (mahogany) are familiar to most Americans- plus Tzalam – the multi-hued wood you see often, Katalox, ciricote, Granadilo. All beautiful woods.

9. We’ve had some gorgeous beds made by one company in OPlaya, including a 4-poster king, a trundle bed, and a queen with lighted onyx panels in the headboard. These were designed by my wife and are all beautiful and well constructed. We had a beautiful curved dining table with a glass cenote and a matching bench made by another company located in Tulum that is to be delivered next month. And a third company in Playa made a beautiful mirror with natural wood and a pair of bar swings for us.
    All gorgeous stuff, and I can share the company names and pictures if interested.

10. My dad and grandpa were wood workers so I appreciate the talent and work involved. These are stunning! (PS: I would love to see more of your condo )

11. sheila schultz | August 29, 2017 at 11:15 am | Reply

Those pieces are drop dead gorgeous! The combination of iron and wood designed by these artists is perfection. Move over Room and Board and Crate and Barrel!

12. I discovered an amazing and amazingly beautiful native wood through an extraordinary woodworker in Coatepec, where I live. The carpientero (though I’d call him an ebanista) is a longtime shop/woodworking teacher in secondary school, Eleazar Libreros. I can provide contact information if someone near here wants to talk to him. He made one small dining table in cedar and cabinets and bancos in parota: https://www.google.com.mx/imgres?imgurl=http://azueroearthproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Enterolobium-cyclocarpum-Corotu-Mariato.jpg&imgrefurl=http://azueroearthproject.org/trees/enterolobium-cyclocarpum/&h=768&w=1024&tbnid=e6faIZ-3gsC98M:&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&usg=__PvFlQMTzAWqZzX26XuWQPYFJy0I=&vet=10ahUKEwihj6GEjv3VAhVE5yYKHeSXAVgQ_B0IkQEwCg..i&docid=5yRfqnN4L2PllM&itg=1&client=firefox-b-ab&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihj6GEjv3VAhVE5yYKHeSXAVgQ_B0IkQEwCg&ei=UrelWaGeJcTOmwHkr4bABQ

13. Stéphan Vermette | August 29, 2017 at 3:41 pm | Reply

Hello Paul, Thank you for the nice info you share with us. Quick question, what website do you use to find good deals when looking to spend a few days at Isla Mueres?

14. Very cool. Your pieces look great!

15. teresa freeburn | August 30, 2017 at 1:02 am | Reply

hi paul,

i recently started reading your blog and am really enjoying it. the coffee table is absolutely beautiful!!!!! it must have been fun choosing the wood and helping with the design.

my husband and i spent 2 weeks on the riviera maya this past winter but unfortunately, we never made it as far south as akumal. we had a rental car and went to 3 cenotes as well as several different towns and of course, the ruins. it was our first time in the yucatan but definitely not our last. we loved the area!

congrats to you and linda for being able to “get rid of 99% of your stuff”. not sure we’ll ever get to that point. i try not to be materialistic but after having lived in japan 3 times, in sicily and having traveled quite a bit, we have a lot of things that would be difficult for me to let go of although my husband would happily do so 😉 we will definitely downsize before our next move.

keep up the great posts! btw-i love linda’s pictures from the place you recently went back to with friends. fiesta …..ahhh, the old memory isn’t what it used to be.

teresa

16. Rick & Flower Plourde | August 30, 2017 at 11:11 am | Reply

WOW ! Those pieces look great. We were wondering what our options would be for furniture when we move to Akumal in January. Even more to be excited about now. Thanks once again Paul for all the time you spend to inform us all on such great subject matter. It really helps us out in preparation for our big move. And thanks to everybody for their comments and suggestions as well.