Comparing Mattress Sizes in the U.S and Mexico

When we purchased our condo in 2015, it was already furnished and had a king size mattress in the master bedroom and a queen size mattress in the spare room.

Shortly thereafter, we bought a new king size mattress to replace the old one because — when it comes to my own place, I like to be the original owner of the mattress that I sleep on every night.

The mattresses looked a little smaller than their U.S. counterparts but we didn’t really pay much attention to it until Linda brought some sheets back after visiting her mother in Florida — they didn’t fit.

Let me rephrase that, they didn’t fit very well. The fitted sheets for both beds were a little too large but we decided to use them anyway because we had difficulty finding sheets that we liked in Mexico.

It turns out that mattress sizes are not standard throughout the world. For example, a king size mattress sold in the U.S. is larger than a king size mattress sold in Mexico.

Here’s a breakdown of the standard dimensions of popular mattress sizes:

U.S. Measurements (in inches)

• Twin: 38″ x 74″
  • Twin Extra Long: 38″ x 80″
  • Full: 54″ x 74″
  • Queen: 60″ x 80″
  • King: 76″ x 80″
  • California King: 72″ x 84″

Mexican Measurements (in meters and inches)

• Individual: 1.00 m x 1.90 m [39.37″ x 74.80″]
  • Matrimonial: 1.35 m x 1.90 m [53.15″ x 74.80″]
  • Queen: 1.50 m x 1.90 m [59.06″ x 74.80″]
  • King: 1.90 m x 2.00 m [74.80″ x 78.74″]

I decided to share this information in a post because I thought it would be useful for people moving to Mexico. So, if you plan to bring your U.S. mattress to Mexico, you better bring some sheets too because the sheets sold here in Mexico will be too small.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. In 2016, they started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) sharing their experiences, as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border. The blog has been viewed over two million times and the articles have been republished in numerous periodicals across Mexico.

34 Comments on "Comparing Mattress Sizes in the U.S and Mexico"

1. Who brings their own mattress to Mexico? Hahaha – sorry, I got a kick out of that 🙂

• Q-Roo Paul | March 23, 2018 at 9:36 am |

That’s what I used to ask too until I met a few of our neighbors that did it. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it to ship a mattress down. 🙂

2. Tamara Adams | March 23, 2018 at 9:35 am |

Thank you for posting this! We bought sheets and thought the place sold us “bad” sizing because the sheets were way too small. We already washed the sheets so knew we couldn’t return them. Now we know this, we will hang onto the sheets because we will be eventually buying another queen mattress and our new sheets should fit a new bed. 🙂

3. Roberta Strand | March 23, 2018 at 9:36 am |

I had to sell 3 pairs of 1500 Egyptian cotton king sheets because of that. And the sheets down here are crap.

4. Lora Schafer | March 23, 2018 at 9:40 am |

Hi Paul, I always enjoy reading your articles and appreciate the wealth of information you provide. We just moved to Lake Chapala in February and discovered this mattress situation! We brought our queen Tempurpedic with us and it was too long for the bed frame here. My husband is handy so he lengthened it which was a bit of a project, but it worked. New sheets will be another issue so I hope the sets we brought will last many years!! On another topic, I looked at the first few lessons of your Spanish classes and they were great! I plan to continue and I really like your style. I also like your humor – keep up the fantastic blog! Thank you, Lora Schafer

5. Paul , I wish you’d have posted this yesterday. I just ordered sheets on Amazon & now realized my ‘king size mattress ‘ is not really a ‘king size’ after all . Doh !

• Q-Roo Paul | March 23, 2018 at 9:44 am |

Funny thing. I originally planned on posting it yesterday but I didn’t have a good picture of a mattress…lol.

6. To relieve any stress of moving furniture to Mexico we just bought our furniture in Mexico. We did however make the same mistake by bringing our cal-king sheets which turned out to be way to big… Yeah, adjust to things either being slightly bigger, or slightly smaller. Some things don’t match up when you think that something as simple as a bed should be world standard.

7. If you bring sheets that are a ‘little’ too large for Mexican mattresses – buy some of those elastic bands with clips to hold them tight.

8. Or Walmart – if you click the wrong button like I did…

9. We bought our King and Queen mattresses at Cancun Telebodega and brought USA sheets down with us (better quality, better selection, and better price!). We have had no problems at all. I should note that all the mattresses purchased were “pillow top” so maybe that helped the sheets fit better? We also buy box springs with the mattresses and don’t just put them on a wooden slat platform as you find in many Mexico rental units. Guests that rent from us LOVE our beds as the box spring makes for a better night’s sleep, so I would highly recommend buying the box springs unless you like to have a backache after a week without them.

10. I purchased 2 mattresses and sheets at Liverpool here in Mexico. The quality is fantastic and the sheets are good quality and fit well. I did purchase an extra set from Walmart here in a mexico, to save some money and they don’t stay on the bed. I had to purchase those elastic corner sheet holders to keep them on. What a pain. I learned my lesson. You get what you pay for.

11. We purchased our mattresses in Playa Telebodega and purchased sheets in Sam’s Club Playa. The sheets are Members Mark (brand of Sam’s Club) and they fit perfectly. They have deep fitted pockets and are of good quality. Purchased towels and beach towels at Sam’s Club and they are thick and a great size. We found the quality of the sheets and towels were as good if not better than In the US.

12. David Edgar | March 23, 2018 at 11:30 am |

We had the same problem . When we built our house here in Manzanillo we shipped a lot of excess furniture from Canada. When we replaced two of the matresses not only was the new mattress too small but there is now a 6 or 8″ gap at the end of the bed frame bottom between the footboard and the mattress.

13. emilys72016 | March 23, 2018 at 11:33 am |

I think mattress depth might be an issue as well. Mattresses in the US have gotten so deep (though there’s no standard, unlike with the width x length dimensions) that many sheet manufacturers make super-deep pocket sheets now. In our motorhome, our mattress is much thinner than the typical household mattress these days, so the fitted sheets we buy are all far too loose, even though the length and width are right. I suspect in most cases Mexican mattresses aren’t as deep, so that also makes US sheets fit poorly. Thanks for the information, though; it’s helpful!

14. let me save you a lot of frustration. Go down to your local seamtress with your measurements and exactly the material you wan, plus soe eleastic for the bottome sheet. They will be happy to whip it up for you for a very reasonable price.

PS: I loved your Mexican-made Coffee table so much that I found my own local carpenter (he lives around the corner). Edgar has now made for us a dining room table, a coffee table, a patio table and FIVE side tables for chairs with shelves and drawers. Total cost to me less than $500 US. ALL BEAUTIFU AND WELL MADE.
    tx susan

15. Thank you for the heads up, honestly all your postings are so helpful. We are building a home in Mexico and considered shipping furniture hopefully its not a hassle.

• Q-Roo Paul | March 23, 2018 at 1:04 pm |

The mattresses in Mexico are not normally very expensive and you can find well-known brand names.

16. Ethel aka Fran | March 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm |

Very interesting!

17. Ira Horowitz | March 23, 2018 at 1:15 pm |

We have had a king size bed bought in PV and have no problem using US fitted sheets on it. Also the king size bed here is essentially at a 90 degree angle to the US size. We simply rotated it when we set it up so it is in the same ratio as the US bed, that is longer than wide as opposed to wider than long. In any event king side size sheets fit very well.

18. Cheryl Kilvington | March 23, 2018 at 1:24 pm |

Has anyone considered having a local carpenter build an American sized bed to fit your American sheets?

• Q-Roo Paul | March 23, 2018 at 1:31 pm |

The bed frame isn’t the problem, it’s the mattresses themselves. The dimensions are different.

Some of our neighbors resort to doing one of two things: 1) buying sheets from the U.S. online and having them shipped, or 2) sweet-talking one of their friends into carrying them down the next time they visit.

19. Finally a detail answer to my question about mattress sizes in Mexico, every time I ask that question, I got different answers….. I have been enjoying your posts , always great information and straight to the point !

20. Almost every woman in Mexico can sew. Your sheets too large get them altered. Many can do wonders even if it an old a hand turned machine.

21. Where we were there in Playa for the winter and I asked for an additional set of sheets, queen size. She brought in sheets that were 180 thread count. Just like sandpaper. So bad!!! Washed them and hoped that they would get softer. To no avail. So if moving to Mexico, bring your bed and sheets!!

22. I kind of thought the king size beds didn’t seem as long as in the US….our sheets from the US seem to fit fine I think it’s because they are pillow top. I guess if you were taller then 6’6 this would be the biggest issue.

23. Argh-I always read your posts about a week too late. LMAO! These sheets will just have to do. You have some of the best info ever when it comes to moving to Mexico. Seriously. Things I wouldn’t have through of. Thanks!!!

24. Paul it may be time to start a citizens action committee and start raking seaweed, you’ve got way to much free time on your hands brother.
    Bed sheets ???

• Q-Roo Paul | March 26, 2018 at 8:51 am |

Hahaha, we get asked a lot about bed sizes.

You would be amazed at the questions that we get. 🙂