Mexico: The Cost of Seeing a Specialist and Getting an MRI Without Insurance

Hospiten in Cancun (Source: Q-Roo Paul)

If you’re a regular reader of the blog then you’re probably already aware that Linda has had a history of back problems. Since arriving in Mexico almost three years ago, she has been able to manage the pain fairly successfully by visiting a great physical therapist in Tulum every 4-6 weeks or so.

The past few weeks her back and hips have been bothering her more than usual, so we decided to make an appointment with an orthopedist in Playa del Carmen.

For those of you unfamiliar with how medical care works in Mexico, let me give you some background here. There is a public healthcare system (seguro popular and IMSS) and a private healthcare system. I’ll be talking more about the differences in the various systems, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each in future posts.

So far, our only experiences have been with the private system and each time the quality of care has been stellar. Yep, I said stellar. The best part is that the care costs far less than it would in the United States — even without insurance.

In our case, we have health insurance in Mexico but since Linda’s back issues were a preexisting condition, the insurance company won’t cover any treatment related to her back.

I’ll be addressing preexisting medical conditions and insurance options in a future post. This is why it’s a good idea to subscribe to the blog, so you’ll receive an email whenever I post something new.

Linda’s Experience

One of the things that has always impressed me about the private healthcare system in Mexico is how quickly you can get in to see a doctor, even a specialist. We called Hospiten in Playa del Carmen and had an appointment to see an orthopedist that same morning.

Upon arriving at the hospital, we were concerned when we saw about five tourists in the waiting room with ankle and wrist injuries. We know they were tourists because most of them were wearing hotel bracelets.

We were concerned that our appointment would be delayed, but it wasn’t. The appointment was at 11:30 and by 11:35 we were talking to the doctor in the examination room.

The doctor performed an examination and reviewed Linda’s medical records that we brought from the U.S. The doctor was very knowledgeable, professional and had a great bedside manner. The appointment lasted about 45 minutes and we never felt rushed like we did whenever we used to see physicians in the U.S.

Since the last MRI of Linda’s spine was in 2004, the doctor recommended getting an updated one. He said that the facility in Playa del Carmen didn’t have an MRI and that we would have to go their Cancun facility to get it done.

We were able to make an appointment to get the MRI the next morning (things move fast in the private system) and we scheduled a follow-up appointment with the doctor three days after that to review the results.

Okay, I’m sure you’re wondering what this all cost, so I’ll cut to the chase.

Costs

Initial consultation with orthopedist + examination + follow-up visit: $800 pesos ($43.24 USD)

MRI of lumbar spine without dye: $9,082 pesos ($490.91 USD)

Total Actual Cost (Mexico): $534.16 USD

So, how much would this have cost in the U.S.?

Prices vary by region and facility, but I was able to use the Mayo Clinic’s online price estimator to determine what the out-of-pocket costs for the same services without insurance would be in Rochester, Minnesota:

Office visit, new patient: $415 USD (estimate in PDF)

MRI of lumbar spine without dye: $3,427 USD (estimate in PDF)

Total Estimated Cost (U.S.): $3,842 USD

Before moving to Mexico, we really didn’t know very much about the healthcare system in Mexico. We hoped for the best but were prepared for the worst. What we found was a healthcare system that has far exceeded our best expectations in terms of quality of care and cost.

By the way, I would like to add that since moving to Mexico, we have saved over $20,000 in insurance premiums that we would have paid if we had stayed in the U.S.

The biggest compliment that you can give us is to share our posts.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. In 2016, they started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) sharing their experiences, as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border. The blog has been viewed over two million times and the articles have been republished in numerous periodicals across Mexico.

67 Comments on "Mexico: The Cost of Seeing a Specialist and Getting an MRI Without Insurance"

1. 100% agreed!
    Thanks for your blog!
    Always enjoy reading it and spot on factual information!

2. Patricia Armstrong | April 4, 2018 at 9:35 am |

Hi Paul and Linda, Glad u were able to get in so quickly, back pain can be a terrible thing. Hope for your continued success with the therapy

3. Linda Zaworski | April 4, 2018 at 9:40 am |

I may have missed something along the way. Is there a reason why you have not enrolled in Seguro Popular or IMSS? Wouldn’t Seguro Popular have covered your cost with no out-of-pocket?

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 11:36 am |

We plan to enroll in IMSS shortly but we will likely still use private medical services for most things because it is so fast and the care (and facilities) are great.

It is not uncommon to read articles in the paper here about long delays in receiving treatment at public hospitals when using IMSS or Seguro Popular.

One of the locals we know broke his shoulder and went to a public hospital in Playa del Carmen. He sat there shivering and in pain for several hours without being seen. He then headed over to a private hospital where he was treated immediately. He said he had to pay, but it was 100% worth it.

We figure we would keep the IMSS for major medical expenses, should the need ever arise.

4. I had a similar experience in January in PV. I fell and hit my head on concrete. Trip to the ER seeing a doctor, consulting with a neurologist, cat scan of my head. Total cost in USD – $330. Although we live in the states, we take every opportunity in Mexico to get medical care out the way. It’s quicker and cheaper than our deductibles.

5. Basically I find that the cost of medical in Mexico is equal or less than the CO-PAY in the states. Something I have explain to many people. Only serious hospitalization can create a financial difference.

6. Bobbi McElravey | April 4, 2018 at 9:53 am |

I moved to Mexico 12 years ago. I buy excellent private health insurance which has served me well through the years and through 4 surgeries, including two knee replacements. Conservatively, I estimate I have saved at least $85,000 in medical insurance. The compassion and quality of care here in Mexico far exceeds what I experienced in California, USA.

• Beverly Willard | April 29, 2018 at 12:10 pm |

Hi Bobbie, I have become a Perm resident and sorting out insurance options..would you possibly share the name of your private insurance company with me? I am in the Cancun area..thanks..Bev. Willard

• Patricia Riley | May 1, 2018 at 4:43 pm |

My mother has Medicare but of course it doesn’t cover her here. She recently had a TIA (stroke). She went to the ER and was subsequently hospitalized for 48 hours. They did all the standard blood work, CT scan, MRI, and chest X-ray. The cost was around $6,000. Now she is trying to find health insurance that doesn’t cost her a fortune. She only has social security, which is why she moved to Mexico. Having said all that, what health insurance is available that covers major medical emergencies in Mexico?

7. Tell it like it is!

I love Mexico! We are currently hunting for a permanent home in the Riviera Maya somewhere. But I only half-jokingly refer to us as “medical exiles” because we would be impoverished by the cost of a medical policy in the US, and unable to afford medical care even with the policy.

Besides which, the quality of medical care in the US has been so degraded by EHR requirements that my inflammatory arthritis went undiagnosed, despite annual exams by my primary doctor, for at least five years before we left.

8. Ethel aka Fran | April 4, 2018 at 9:58 am |

Paul, sorry Linda isn’t covered by insurance because of a preexisting condition. I guess living in Mexico would not work for me because of all my health issues unless they would accept my US health insurance. Before I was eligible for Medicare, I spent over $12,000.00 US dollars in medicine in one year. That was because I had reactions to some generics and had to take brand drugs not covered. Glad I was able to afford it. I hope Linda gets to feeling better. I can relate to hip and back pain, but then having RA is no fun.

9. FYI, a private MRI in Canada is $600. Cheaper, but no beach

10. Thanks for you, Linda and your blog. Best of health today and beyond.
    Huatulcotami

11. Steve Martin | April 4, 2018 at 10:05 am |

As always I enjoy your Blogs. Your medical cost in mexico and estimate cost for services in the US seemed high. Maybe the reason it seems high to me, is that our private insurance deductible brings our out of pocket down (MRI 105. and doctor visit 40.), but our insurance monthly payments are about 500. month. I am interested in how much private insurance in Mexico would cost for a senior couple. Thanks

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 11:56 am |

The U.S. estimate was without any insurance and was quoted by a U.S. hospital.

If you pay $500 a month for insurance (which is what we did when we had employers paying a large percentage) then that’s not too bad, if you’re going to the doctor on a fairly regular basis and getting your money’s worth. Otherwise, you paid a lot more in insurance a year for insurance than we did for insurance and care all year.

Private insurance is less here but the problem that people run into is none of them want to cover preexisting conditions. That’s why many seniors use one of the public health systems like Seguro Popular or IMSS (I’ll be writing about these both in future posts).

We do plan to sign up for IMSS this month so we have it “just in case something big happens” but we plan on continuing to use the private system for most things because it is outstanding.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 12:12 pm |

Of course, we rarely this much. We can see a local doctor for around $200 pesos ($10.81 USD) or a pharmacy doctor for half that much.

12. I have loved reading you blog and combing through all the topics. We were in Akumal over spring break (March 19-25) and were saddened by the changes of the government vs privatization of the beach. (I’m probably not saying that correctly)… would love to hear your take on the changes!?!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 12:00 pm |

Hi Ronnie.

Thanks for following the blog. The beaches in Akumal aren’t private, they just closed one access point because it was determined by the judge to have been unlawfully seized from the private owner. There is still free access for locals through the CEA building and tourists are charged $100 pesos to enter through that point.

The beaches are public and it was filled with locals last weekend when we were there.

13. Paul, thank you for sharing costs as that is something I know most people really worry about when considering living in Mexico. As a retired ICU nurse, I agree with you 100% when you say that the health care in Mexico is “stellar.” I feel the same way. When my daughter came to visit last year, she had severely injured her hand and was told just before she flew from the US that she would need to have an MRI. Since her insurance deductibles are so high, she was very worried about the cost. Once she arrived here, I scheduled a same day visit with an Orthopedist who concurred (cost along with a 2nd followup visit, $40 USD). The next day I scheduled her for an MRI without contrast at a stand alone MRI clinic in Tijuana (cost including written report by Radiologist $100 USD). Had this been done in the US, there would have been a separate charge for the two components. One for the scan and one for the Radiologists interpretation. The most amazing part was that when I saw this same doctor 6 months later, he wanted to know how my daughter’s hand was doing and if the injury had resolved. That is health care in Mexico. Just for future reference, if you are in a place that has stand alone MRI and or CT available, the price will always be much less than getting the same scan in a hospital.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 12:01 pm |

Thanks for sharing that, JoAnn. It’s always nice to hear the opinion of someone who worked in the healthcare field.

• Joan, could you please share the name and address of that stand alone MRI clinic?. I would highly appreciate it ✌️

• JoAnn Jackson | April 15, 2018 at 9:54 am |

I apologize Luyz, I only saw your request this morning, The MRI clinic we used was Imagenradiologica.com
        Santa Maria 3152
        Col. Gavilondo 22044
        Tel: 664-971-0940
        US 619-308-8311

14. Pamela Bruno | April 4, 2018 at 10:43 am |

My experience as well. Excellent facilities, excellent professionals, excellent care for less than my co-pays under employer sponsored insurance in the US. Same for dental care. For people.
    Downside – pet meds are more expensive. I spent more for Rymadil for my large geriatric dog than I did for my maintenance Rx meds! But, again, the quality of care is excellent.
    I have had a private health insurance plan, $2,500 deductible, that I consider as coverage for catastrophic illness, never filed a claim, for 3 years now. Annual premium is about $1,500 USD.

15. Werner O. Schmidt | April 4, 2018 at 10:44 am |

Your comment is awaiting moderation. What does this mean —?

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 11:18 am |

That’s to prevent people from spamming the site with advertisements. If it’s your first time posting with that name and email, it will be held until we make sure it’s not spam.

16. I am over 80 years old and use private health care in Oaxaca. The MRI here was a bit less. I have had surgery for bladder cancer and am now cancer free. The doctor spends a lot of time with me, explaining my options in detail. The cost has been much less than insurance in the U.S. and the care much better. Martin, your insurance premium is more than my rent!

I also have a severe back condition, so I limit my lifting and wear a back brace when walking, or sitting in awful restaurant chairs. My back is my most valuable possession and almost my full time job at my age. Ha ha.

17. Linda Snider | April 4, 2018 at 11:25 am |

thank you!

18. Edith Henneberg | April 4, 2018 at 11:40 am |

Paul are you saying that in the last three years you would have paid $20,000 in health care premiums in the USA ?

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 11:43 am |

Yes, we would have based on the insurance quotes we were given to maintain our health insurance without the employer chipping in anymore.

19. Hi Paul! Thanks for this post and bringing the Mexico Healthcare system into the light. We found the same results with dentistry in Mexico. I’m looking forward to your subsequent posts. Thanks again!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 11:42 am |

You’re welcome. We have some dentist visits planned, so I’m sure we’ll be writing about how those went.

20. successfulmom2016 | April 4, 2018 at 11:46 am |

Hi there Paul,
    I am pleased to have this kind of information since I have epilepsy.
    My daughter and I have been coming to playa and Cozumel for a couple of months every summer. I can’t tell you how much we love it in Mexico. Last summer I inhaled a bit of water snorkeling and then it turned into an infection in my chest. I was so deathly ill. The people we met and became friends with were concerned they hadn’t seen me for two days ( my husband had gone and taken my daughter back to the states for drivers ed) so I was solo. The people that I am talking about were the nicest, most genuine people I have ever met. Anyhow, concerned my friend and his wife came knocking on my condo door. Seeing that I was very ill, they contacted another friend whose girlfriend worked with a dr at one of the resorts. Within a two hour time, the Dr came to my condo, did my exam , left, came back with antibiotics and an inhaler and even brought me soup. Total cost for everything, 34$ US. I ran a fever for another 4 days and friends on the island brought me breakfast,lunch and dinner every day. Without me asking and refusing any kind of payback. These are truly caring and sweet people who believe in community and helping one another. I have not felt that grateful for a long time.
    Counting down the days til we return in June and hopefully find a long term rental in playa or Cozumel ( any idea of rental companies in playa?)
    I love your blog and look forward to it daily!

21. Joan Dervin | April 4, 2018 at 12:08 pm |

Hi Linda and Paul;
    Linds hope you get relief to your back pain. We had a medical emergrncy while visiting Mexico in February. While the care and efficiency at Hospien in Playa del Carmen was good, it was expensive. Price you pay for being a tourist. Thankfully we had a hefty credit limit and travel insurance. No complaints about the staff in reception and the security staff ensured we had a taxi
    One of new friends showed where he and his family go to the doctor, – at a pharmacy in Playa. I think my spanish would have to improve to attend the pharmacy clinic however.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 4, 2018 at 12:09 pm |

Sorry to hear that you had to go to the hospital during your trip. I’m glad you had traveler’s insurance. I always get that whenever we travel.

22. ROBERT DELEON | April 4, 2018 at 12:46 pm |

I took my girlfriend to a physical therapist in Cancun while we were there early last year. The therapist did great work. Compared to costs in the USA it was a steal!

23. THanks. having pelvic pain and 245.00 to see Gyno then a week later 350.00 for ultrasound, then 2 weeks later $1265.00 for an MRI, just last week in Phoenix.
    Ridiculous!

24. Hi Paul
    Regarding joining IMMS or Seguro popular. We found that with my husband Paul being diabetic they would not take him on. Seguro popular on the other hand, do not have a problem with pre existing conditions. Also with IMMS, you have to build up to three years membership before you get full cover. Not with Seguro popular. Another fact is that if you rent (don’t own your casita), you get three year affiliation and don’t pay anything. If you have a house, the price you pay is only just over 1000 pesos per person per year. IMMS is more expensive. I recently took a couple to get their affiliation done in Playa’s Hospital General, and we were out of there with the paper within 1 hour. Usually there is a line….but we were lucky. All you need is original and one copy of your resident status, a utility bill and your passport. Hope this info helps

25. Barbara Steele | April 4, 2018 at 1:08 pm |

Hi Paul and Linda,
    I love your blogs. I have friends (Canadian), who have just taken the plunge to stay in Mexico. They bought private health Insurance for $6,000 CAD for the year ($4500 US). – I am wondering if I may be mistaken with the pricing I heard. In Canada, Health Insurance is NOT free (when you have an income), and is based on income and the tax rates for that year. I am curious if the rate they received in Mexico is a fair amount. It would be helpful for your Canadian followers to chime in with what they may have learned along the way as I am considering purchasing private insurance even though I will only be there for 6 months – it may be less expensive than our “out of country” medical coverage for 6 months, which runs about $200 a month with NO pre-existing conditions for a healthy 68 year old.
    Thanks Paul – hope Linda’s back continues to improve.
    Barb

26. Charles Benfante | April 4, 2018 at 1:27 pm |

Would you be good enough to share which insurance company you use – thank you

27. Ditto on the excellent health care in MX. We have paid for Dr./hospital needs for 5 years and it has been cheap and good. We are in the process of signing up for IMSS. It’s $9,000 Pesos a year and no age restriction. Being 71 that’s a problem with a lot of private insurance. Only WEA will accept one up to age 75.
    Viva Mexico!!!

28. Ingrid Royle | April 4, 2018 at 1:54 pm |

Thank you for this highly informative blog

29. Werner O. Schmidt | April 4, 2018 at 1:56 pm |

I just have to reply to your message saying you have to check or investigate if my message is SPAM, whatever that would mean. I AM81 YEARS, YOUNG AT HEART and read your very interesting details about Mexico, since I believe you came out with this. I do recommend you as, in my opinion it is very much correct. Admitted in some States (for me and Canadian’s called, or known as PROVINCES} Regulations and Laws vary slightly, but that applies to most Countries, I have lived in(Switzerland, Germany + the USA)
    So I do look forward to seeing my comments, based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCES will be shown. I DO NOT PROFIT from this, if that is what you implied.
    Saludos Werner O. Schmidt

• Q-Roo Paul | April 5, 2018 at 6:33 am |

Werner, It’s pretty clear that you misunderstood my response. I wasn’t accusing you personally of trying to SPAM the blog, I was merely explaining that the software has a moderation feature to prevent SPAM.

The first time that ANYONE, not just you, posts a comment, the comment is held until it can be verified by me that it isn’t SPAM, racist, hateful etc etc. That’s the virtual world we live in. The software has allowed us to catch over 748 such comments (according to the internal statistics).

30. Carmel Nave | April 4, 2018 at 3:08 pm |

can you pls share the info for the orthopedic dr in Playa ??
    Tnx

31. Meus Black | April 4, 2018 at 5:36 pm |

Hola Paul and Linda,Thanks again for the marvelous job you do! Have a tip for Linda with her back issues! Am 65 and after 3 bungled back surgeries when I was 60,the final operation being an interpedecle screw fixation and fusion was in extreme pain! Following this obtained colorectal cancer,having a colostomy permanently with a Bano Bag! Am spending six months residing in Puerto Vallarta,Jalisco,Mexico and loving every moment here in paradise! One night on the computer stumbled across a 528 Hertz frequency that played for 8 hours 36 minutes 6 seconds on Google! For the past 4 days my drinking shoulder was in great pain also and don’t know why but played it for the night.Honestly,no shit,next morning woke up Healed! Haven’t felt this great in 40 years! Worked for me so TRY! Done a little research and apparently it’s a DNA cell repair dewder! WHO CARES? Did I mention that effective last year The DIVINE is floating my boat? You two carry on FUNning,Bless You!

32. David Costa | April 4, 2018 at 10:14 pm |

My wife and I have had great experiences here. We had our baby at Hospital San Carlos and our insurance reimbursed us for almost the full amount. It cost like 25,000 pesos for C section. I think we might have paid about $100 out of pocket for that including 2 nights stay in the hospital, doctor visits, and medicine. Prenatal care was like 500 pesos a visit and we went at least 5 times. The doctor spent a good 45 mins each time with us. His office is at Costa Med.

Our insurance is about $1000 USD a year each.

33. Dane Carley | April 5, 2018 at 7:16 am |

We (my wife and kids; mom; and, brother and his family) were visiting Isla Mujeres a few years ago. One of my sons got sick so the hotel recommended a doctor. It was such a better experience than going to the doctor at home (in the US). He got us right in, took care of business in a friendly but professional way, and did it for a very reasonable price. Our office visit and a shot cost less than $80. He also wrote us a prescription and sent us to the the pharmacy. Even after the prescriptions were filled, the whole deal cost less than $130 (I think it was closer to $110 but it was a too long ago to remember for sure). It was a fraction of what US healthcare costs and it was just as good if not better.

34. rachelstravel | April 5, 2018 at 7:31 am |

Hi Paul! Interesting to see your actual medical charges based on your visit to a private medical facility like Hospiten. I am curious as to what the Hospiten would charge to locals vs. tourist with travel insurance. I had a head injury and had to have 5 stitches, so I was taken to Hospiten in Playa. Even before seeing me, they took a $2,500USD hold on my credit card before even admitting me and the final bill came to about that amount. They explained it was because stitches were “expensive” and they had to have a special surgeon come in to do them. (I remember reading from another blog post of yours that stitches are really inexpensive, like $5USD/each), so I feel like I was kinda taken for a “ride” (I should say the travel insurance company was taken for a ride). Thank god I had travel insurance, however I am skeptical about that amount being charged if I was a local coming in to get services? I received excellent service from the Dr. and wouldn’t hesitate to return if ever I needed to…but do you think or know if they inflate prices when they see tourists come in?
    Hope LInda recovers from her back pain, wishing her all the best!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 5, 2018 at 7:38 am |

Minor stitches at a pharmacy doctor will run less than $10 USD but Hospitals like Hospiten will charge more. It’s customary for a private hospital to put a hold on your card before treatment is received but a total bill of almost $2,500 for stitches is pretty high. Unless of course you required some kind of reconstructive surgery or something.

The insurance thing might have had something to do with it. Just like in the U.S., whenever insurance is involved, prices tend to go up. My brother lives in the US and doesn’t have health insurance. When he goes to for medical care he is quoted a ridiculously high price but when he tells them that he doesn’t have insurance and asks for the cash price, the price drops to less than 1/3 in most cases.

I don’t know for a fact that that happens here in Mexico, but it does sound very familiar.

If you ever think a bill is too high, feel free to dispute it. Ask to see pricing logs or request to negotiate. That’s what we have done in the past 🙂

35. Hi Paul,
    How did you decide which private health insurance to go with and are there many choices?
    Thanks!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 5, 2018 at 7:40 am |

We tried to go with a Mexican insurance company but they were even more restrictive when it came to defining preexisting conditions (e.g. high pressure in the past, they want to exclude anything cardiovascular related). We finally ended up going with an expat plan from WEA.

We may change someday but for now, it meets our needs.

• I just started looking into plans through WEA, and am confused on exactly what plan we should go for. (adding dental, vision, U.S. coverage etc) Looking to retire and move next year. Can you share a little more detail on your coverage and costs? I understand, if that”s too personal….. just feeling a little overwhelmed with all there is to do, to make this move happen! Your blog and videos help a lot!!!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 6, 2018 at 5:18 am |

I didn’t opt for the U.S. coverage but Linda did because she goes back more often than I do. That lowered my costs to around $65 USD a month and her’s is higher, $157 a month. I can’t remember which actual plan we ended up going with.

If you want to have someone help you narrow down the options, here is the contact email for our insurance rep:
          Launa Brockman
          email: Brockmanlauna@yahoo.com

36. Thanks for your blog. Excellent info as always. Right now in the US my husband and I pay around $1200 a month in health insurance premiums. So around $14,400 a year. A YEAR! That is only the insuramce. Our deductible is very high and it pays only 80% of costs until the deductible is met. The plan is through the affordable care portal of our state as we are both self employed. Its NOT affordable. So that is why Mexico has been on our radar for quite some time because we have heard about the excellent care and lower cost.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 5, 2018 at 7:43 am |

Just think how much money you could save just in insurance premiums by living here. It’s really incredible!

37. Jill Milner | April 5, 2018 at 8:05 am |

Thanks for all the info you both post. It is very reassuring. God bless you

38. Janet Rivera | April 5, 2018 at 11:35 am |

I hope they are able to help Linda and get her out of pain. I don’t know if it would be appropriate in her situation but I would be interested to hear about your thoughts even if it wouldn’t work for her, re: acupuncture or alternative type therapies. Are there practitioners there?

39. Hi, health care in Canada is “free” meaning that you present your provincial health card each time you seek medical attention. I lived in Quebec for 36 years and been living in Toronto since 1990 with a child who was only 6 when we moved here and I never had to pay for any tests. A few months ago, I had 2 scans (lungs and bladder) at the hospital, not a private clinic. Cost? 0. That being said, I wouldn’t call our health system totally free as we pay taxes and some of them are directed to our health care. Also health care plans and waiting lists may be slightly different from one province to another but overall, I feel extremely lucky to know I can walk in my doctor’s office or a hospital and not be handled a bill before they’ll treat me. I’ve seen a doctor last year as I got to Mexico and 5 days later, I was diagnosed with bronchitis, $45.00 CAD for the visit and $31.00 for meds and my work insurance refunded me. But if I had not been refunded, I still think it was affordable.

40. Any experience with cortisone injections for back pain?