Two Expats Mexico: 2018 in Photos

Tomorrow is the last day of 2018 and that means that I’m running out of time to do one of those traditional year-end blog posts summing up our year and hitting some of the highlights. This year we decided to switch it up a little and do it with photos.

One word of warning: If you hate seeing other people’s vacation photos, you should skip this post and go back to thumbing through your Facebook news feed.

Favorite Pics from 2018

Linda hasn’t seen much snow in her life, so when it started to snow while we were vacationing in Italy, she took full advantage of the situation to make snowballs and pelt me with them.

This is one of my favorite photos from 2018. Linda snapped this one at the El Dorado Maroma as we were walking down the beach. There weren’t many people around because it was the low season.

We took a lot of trips during 2018, but one of our favorites was to Huatulco, Mexico. This is one of my favorite pics out of the hundreds that Linda took while we were there.

A picture of Linda learning how to make tortillas by hand at a coffee plantation in the mountains of Oaxaca.

This pic was taken at Lol-Ha Restaurant located right on Akumal Bay. We spent many evenings there in 2018. Can you blame us?

Another one of our highlights from 2018 was visiting the city of Puebla. Linda snapped this pic of the active volcano Popocatépetl.

This pic nicely sums up my life as an expat retiree living in Mexico. It was taken at El Dorado Las Casitas.

This is our happy place, Akumal Bay.

This pic was taken from Attico, a rooftop restaurant in Puebla where we enjoyed some wine while waiting for the rain to stop.

This is a pic of Linda enjoying the perks of staying at an all-inclusive. In 2018, we took advantage of the low season to find great deals at several resorts.

Mexico did a great job in the World Cup in 2018 and we did our part by cheering them from awesome bars like Dick’s Dive in Cozumel.

This pic was taken on Isla Mujeres at a small beach club called Garrafón de Castilla. That’s really the color of the water, no filters!

This pic was taken at our favorite beach club in Cozumel, Sky Reef. Anytime we’re on the island, we stop by to say hi to all of the amazing staff and do some snorkeling.

This pic was taken at Ik-Kil, a cenote located in the Yucatan Peninsula. And, no — it’s not permitted to jump from the spot where I took the photo.

We want to end the year by thanking all of our readers for their continued support and encouragement. Have a wonderful New Year and we’ll see you in 2019.

Become a Patreon member to get access to exclusive articles, a private Facebook group and live streaming Q&A sessions twice a month. Click HERE to learn more.

46 Comments on "Two Expats Mexico: 2018 in Photos"

1. Tracy and Glenn McDougall | December 30, 2018 at 1:03 pm |

Paul and Linda!
    Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing. A lot of them bring us back to many great memories down your way! Healthy and Happy New Year to you both (maybe we’ll bump into one another at Buena Vida, Lucy’s or Lol-Ha in Feb/March 🙂
    Tracy and Glenn, Ottawa, Canada

2. Wonderful pictures!
    Happy new year 2019

3. Suzanne L Nye | December 30, 2018 at 1:06 pm |

Loved the photos… I winter in Merida. Last year I took a side trip to San Cristobal. Put it on your travel list. Amazing part of Mexico.

4. Thanks for a great year of guidance through the difficult maze of Mexican life, Paul and Linda!

The question I’ve been meaning to ask you since day one of finding your blog:
    Do you pronounce Qroo – Kew-Row, or Kew-Rew?

Keep up the great work, and let us all know when your book is ready, okay?
    iFELIZ ANO NUEVO!

5. Awesome pictures, I really like that volcano one, but they are all good. Thanks for sharing and making me want to be in Mexico while I look out the window of our Canadian Blizzard going on.

6. Wow! Your pictures are awesome! I am putting most of these on my bucket list for 2019! Thank you for sharing your memories! Here’s to a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!

7. Thanks for the photos. Wish I were there. I hope to become an expat very soon.

8. Love the pics!

9. Linda Nichols | December 30, 2018 at 1:55 pm |

Wow!!! You are really living the life. So envious!

10. Been following your blog for a couple of years now and can say hands down your’s is the most thoroughly researched and informative that I have come across and I encourage many friends and acquaintances to check it out. Keep up the good work! ¡Feiiz Año Nuevo!

Bob y Sandy
    Mazatlán

11. Paul & Linda … Great Photos! Thanks for all the amazing articles in 2018. ¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

12. Anne Walmsley | December 30, 2018 at 2:02 pm |

I think the saying “ a picture is worth a thousand words” is true. Your photos say it all. Paradise!! Thanks for sharing special moments and for your blog

13. Great pictures. Thank you for sharing your year! Happy 2019 to both of you.

14. Thanks!!!!

15. Great photos and article. Love your Spanish Lessons and blog.
    Keep it going 2019 and best to you. Ruth

16. I love these photo’s. I’ve been to several of these but don’t have pictures even close to these in beauty. Good excuse to go back! Thank you!!!

17. Rozanne Quintero | December 30, 2018 at 2:47 pm |

Thank you for the time you take to help educate and guide me and thousands of others, through this journey I call “living the dream”. Wishing you both a wonderful New Year

18. Paul & Linda, you 2 are a AWESOME Team ! Thank you for all your hard work Educating us for the past few years…totally love your Posts & Pics.
    Best wishes for 2019 !

19. Thanks so much for being willing to share your personal photos with the world. Living now on the Sea of Cortez, far from an airport, we have not done much traveling yet. But you’ve given us a great list to start whittling down in 2019. Thanks for all the great blogs and your Spanish for Expat series!!! Happy New Year to both of you!

20. Lovely! I want to go everywhere the two of you went in 2018! We will be down to Akumal – staying at the Tao Ocean Residences from January 9th – March 6th – hope to meet you!

21. Awesome photos, Linda and Paul. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

22. Wonderful pictures. Happy New Year

23. Kristia Snider | December 30, 2018 at 4:05 pm |

Awesome pics! What a wonderful life! You two make us all envious.
    Im bringing my daughter in March so she can see why I love this part of Mexico so much.
    Thank you for sharing!

24. Thanks for sharing the year with me. The blogs are always very educational as are all of Linda’s pictures that she is so good at taking.
    HAPPY 2019 to you both.

25. Love your blog and loved your pictures. Thank you so much for sharing and for all the information you give us throughout the year. Happy new year to you and Linda, Peggy Clark

26. Christine Buttress | December 30, 2018 at 4:37 pm |

Love the photos. Have a great New Year to you both

27. Monte Raynor | December 30, 2018 at 4:40 pm |

Thanks for your amazing blog. I hope to meet you and Linda in 2019 when we are in Akumal.

28. Teresa Matteson | December 30, 2018 at 4:56 pm |

I love Mexico! Would retire there myself but for my family up here in the northwest. Love your pictures and adventures. Thanks for sharing and maybe someday I will be living in Puero Vallarta! My special place.

29. Wishing you two wonderful New Year!

30. Bonnie Ashley | December 30, 2018 at 6:53 pm |

Awesome Pics! Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

31. John and Galen | December 30, 2018 at 7:01 pm |

Great pictures. Thank you for all of your insightful info. We begin our retire life in Tulum on January 22, 2019. Thanks to the both of you. We have mucho information.

32. Sue Kingsley | December 30, 2018 at 7:22 pm |

Love your blog and the Spanish lessons. Thanks for sharing your memories. We live on the Pacific side in San Carlos so I love seeing more of Mexico.
    Feliz Año Nuevo!!!

33. Great pictures,Paul,great times in Mexico with Linda Wishing you both a healthy happy 2019

34. Ingrid C Royle | December 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm |

Thanks for the pictures! Happy New Year to you and Linda ! Love your blogs. Ingrid Royle.

35. Linda Harris | December 30, 2018 at 9:22 pm |

Thank you for the photos. My husband and I were supposed to come back to Playa for 3 months this winter. He got very ill last summer and passed away on December 24th his 75th birthday. The family is crushed and we are doing a celebration of life Saturday. I am now getting things done so I can fulfill his wishes that I go back down this winter for a couple of months. I love your blog and kept my heart in Playa and hoped to see it again. He made my wish come true. Such a wonderful man. Would love to meet you sometime in Playa if possible. God bless those that have left us to soon. Linda

• So very sorry for your loss Linda. Sending healing prayers and thinking of you as you celebrate your wonderful husband’s life.

36. Ethel Merts aka Fran Clark | December 31, 2018 at 8:04 am |

Paul and Linda, hope 2019 is full of fun and good times. Enjoy!! Happy New Year!!

37. Lorrie Jones | December 31, 2018 at 9:51 am |

So love these photos !

38. Beautiful photos. Makes me anxious to get to Puerto Morelos. Fortunately, we will arrive Friday for a couple of weeks. Will hopefully be able to make a side trip to Akumal.

39. Paul and Linda, you guys rock. We love all the great information and the wonderful pictures. We will be in Puerto Morelos January 19 for 2 weeks and we are staying at the Layla Guest House.We may be taking a trip to Tulum. Maybe it would be possible to meet for a drink. Happy New Year to you.

40. Wonderful pics. Have an adventurous 2019!

41. Mary Ann Slack | December 31, 2018 at 12:50 pm |

9 months and counting… for our forever home in Akumal.
    2 months for a visit!
    Thank you Paul and Linda for all your guidance with this blog!

42. Margaret Farris | December 31, 2018 at 1:06 pm |

Linda and Paul…great pics! Steve and I wish you both a very Happy New Year!!!

43. Hi Paul and Linda
    Thank you for your great blog. My wife and I have been spending 1-2 months in Mexico (Puerto Morales) for 5 years. We love the people, culture, food and life style. I am an avid golfer and, my question is, do you know of and areas, in Mexico, the have a lot of golf courses?
    Thanks for your reply
    Jeff

44. THANK YOU FOR THE FUN SHOTS! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU BOTH
    Patsy Chilson Realtor Cozumel & Playa del Carmen

45. Judith Byrne | January 2, 2019 at 1:35 am |

Wow, gorgeous pics! Thank you for all your interesting info throughout the year. I love sharing with my local Spanish conversation group. Greetings from ‘down under’.