Have a Drink with Two Expats Mexico on February 6th

The most common request that we get from our readers is to meet in person while they’re visiting the Riviera Maya. In the past, we made every effort to meet people but as the blog’s popularity has grown, so have the number of requests. As a result, we’re no longer physically able to meet with everyone — at least not one a time.

This month, we decided to try something new and schedule an event where any readers in the area could meet us, and if they were so inclined, have a drink or two.

Where and When

Lol-Ha Restaurant and Snack Bar in Akumal, Mexico

Wednesday, February 6th, 2019 from 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM

This is a casual get together. You’ll find us seated somewhere near the bar.

Driving Instructions

Besides having awesome food, drinks and a view, we chose Lol-Ha because they have plenty of free parking. The only problem is that it can be a little tricky to find the entrance. Be sure to refer to these instructions if you plan on driving there:

Turn off Hwy 307 at the Akumal exit and head toward the beach side

Ignore all of the people trying to flag you down or direct you into a parking lot

Immediately past the OXXO store on the right, you will see a chain blocking a dirt road — that’s the entrance.

Just tell the security guard that you’re headed to the restaurant and he’ll let you in.

Since the majority of our readers are scattered all over North America, we don’t expect too many people to show up. Still, if you do plan on attending, please RSVP via our Facebook page.

Click here to RSVP via Facebook

If you don’t have a Facebook account, you can leave us a message in the comments section to let us know you’re coming and how many folks you plan on bringing.

80 Comments on "Have a Drink with Two Expats Mexico on February 6th"

1. Rosamund Levy | February 3, 2019 at 2:37 pm |

Can’t make it to Animal, but please let us know if you’re going to be in Isla anytime.

2. Is their anything that you find hard to deal with in Mexico? I’ve heard people talk about dealing with utilities being a nightmare for one.

• It can be a challenge dealing with government agencies. They always seem to want one more form and many times, you can plan on making more than one trip to get things accomplished.

3. I will be in Mexico City. I would love to see this again. Your blog has answered many of my questions about my life here in Merida.

• Sorry you won’t be able to make it. If this first event goes well, we will definitely schedule some more.

4. I wish I could be there to meet you guys . My husband and I spent the day in Akumal 2 weeks ago we ate in La Buena Vida it was great sat on swings at the bar. He is currently checking out property in Bacalar and I won’t be back until beginning of March maybe you will do another in March

5. Hi Paul! I owe you one or two cervezas. I am not sure if I can make it Wednesday but someday I am sure our paths will cross. Have fun!

• I’m sure we’ll eventually meet. Perhaps I’ll visit your Spanish learning group in PDC again.

6. Rick Matheson | February 3, 2019 at 2:44 pm |

Paul, this is such a great idea. I would love to meet you two but we just arrived two days ago in Progreso and we’re here for three months. Hopefully you can do it one more time before you leave. Just in case we decide to come, what do you look like

7. Kevin Sinclair | February 3, 2019 at 2:46 pm |

Too bad for us, we won’t be there until March. I enjoy your blog, and Spanish lessons.

8. Mary Baxter | February 3, 2019 at 2:51 pm |

I so wish I was back in Mexico and could come to meet you guys, especially because Feb. 6th is my birthday! Hopefully, another time. I love reading the blog! All the best!

9. Michelle M Helmic | February 3, 2019 at 3:01 pm |

One of these days my husband I are will make it down there. It’s really our next trip we want to take after our son graduates from college. Hoping to say hi to you both but until then, have a drink for us on the beach!

10. lindy gelber | February 3, 2019 at 3:02 pm |

Paul Which of the Cenotes do you prefer to go to and swim and which of the Mayan Pyramid ruins do you prefer? have you done a posting on these?

• I actually go to very few cenotes because the water is way too cold for me.

Of all the Mayan ruins I’ve visited, my favorite is still Tulum. The views are amazing.

11. We may see you again.

12. can i rsvp without facebook? yes, i ended my facebook account with incredible effort – that’s anither story. i will be there with maybe a few playenses. – gary, helen, tom, and another couple.

13. Gary Murray | February 3, 2019 at 3:07 pm |

Thank you! Can’t retire for 6 yrs, but would like to start spending a month or so there yearly. Is there a post/posts that gives more info on this?

Thanks,
    Gary

• If you work your way through some of the older articles, I’m sure you will find several that answer many of your questions.

14. We love cenotes. We went to Santa Cruz (Akumal) in April. A chilly 25c but still wonderful.

15. Can’t make this date but hope to be there for another event! You have been so helpful; can’t imagine where I would be without you guys! Thank you!

16. Soooo….. I’ll be on the other side of the mainland in San Carlos on the Sea of Cortez. BUT… I will have a beer on Wed. from 5 to 6:30 to toast a thank you for all the terrific stuff you post – and especially your Spanish tutorials – from which I’d be doing much better if I just practiced. 🙂 Salud y Viva la Mexico!!!

17. Debra Bragg | February 3, 2019 at 3:54 pm |

Hola Paul and Linda, what a great idea and your timing is perfect. As you may recall John and I also live in Akumal and we have a friend coming to town who would really like to meet you both, so there will be 3 of us. See you there.

18. Lewis Williams | February 3, 2019 at 3:56 pm |

So cool. You guys rock it.

19. David Niehenke | February 3, 2019 at 4:39 pm |

What a great idea! I hope you do have more in the future since my wife and I will be moving to Tulum sometime this year from California. We love your blog.

20. This is a wonderful idea! I was thinkng how great it would be to meet you two when we are in the Akumal area next month, but didn’t want to be a pest since I’m sure you get a lot of requests for your time. Hopefully you will have another event like this when we are there in the first week of March.

• If this one goes well, I’m sure we’ll do another one. I’m planning my annual Proof of Life tour next month though. That’s when I return to the U.S. and say hi to everyone I know before quickly returning to paradise…lol.

21. Any chance you’ll be over in Cozumel anytime from 2/7-2/14?? We’ll be waving to you from over there :)!

• No, we’re pretty booked up through that time period. Maybe we’ll meet next time you’re down.

22. Paris & Jeanette | February 3, 2019 at 5:11 pm |

We won’t be at this event. But, we’re coming to Akumal Feb 21-Mar 4 to take possession of our condo at TAO. Maybe we’ll see you then!

• We have a trip planned for part of that time but I’m sure we’ll run into each other eventually.

23. Kgfran356@yahoo.com | February 3, 2019 at 5:18 pm |

Brian and I will have to meet you on the next go round, it it was a pleasure meeting you New Years!

24. We live in PDC – but we are currently visiting family and friends in “the old country.” However- we’ll be back in early March – and if you do a repeat you can count on us being there. We’ve been following you from fairly early on – and we finally moved to Playa in July. Your posts have been fun, helpful – and extremely well crafted! Thank you and hoping to get to meet you in the not too distant future!

• Sorry we missed you this time around. If this event goes well, we’ll definitely schedule some more, perhaps in March.

25. alice hesselrode | February 3, 2019 at 6:55 pm |

Yeah I think I can make it. Currently in Playa del Carmen. I could go down to Akumal for the day.

26. Susan davisson | February 3, 2019 at 7:35 pm |

Hope you have one in March. We arrive around the 15th of feb. for 6 weeks. Staying in condo at Taos. Susan

27. Great idea!
    We aren’t close enough but enjoy!

28. Looks like it will be “tomar una copa con numerosos expatriados” on Wednesday evening. Expanding the HH list, I see. See you there, Sra. Linda!

29. Mary Ann Slack | February 3, 2019 at 10:20 pm |

We will be arriving on March 2nd for 3 weeks looking at properties for our move this year to Tulum.
    Let us know if you set up one for March!

• We will let you know. By the way, if you would like a referral to a realtor that we trust in the area, just send us a request via the contact form.

30. Robin MacDonald | February 4, 2019 at 12:17 am |

My friend Renee and I will be in Akumal March 2 – 11. I hope that your February meet-up is an enjoyable success and you decide to repeat it in March!
    Cheers,
    Robin

31. joanna campbell | February 4, 2019 at 3:12 am |

Lucky you to be so popular! I have found your extremely useful information as an expert in Playa del Carmen to be really helpful.Thankyou ….

32. We will be home in a Mahahual getting ready for a super big clean up day with 65 cruise ship tourist coming for a “day of service” on February 7. To help clean our town. We have been cleaning our town regularly. Our group is called Mahahual Limpio. We even started a GoFundMe campaign to collect funds for purchasing trash cans for every house in the casitas. Trash on the streets is a continuous problem but we are making a difference by showing thru example and educating as we inspire change and healthily lifestyle. So a long story to say I won’t be visiting Alkumal but I hope you both have a great evening meeting new friends.

33. Hola! George and Robyn Upham would like to sign up. We do not have FB.

Thanks

34. Jean Gallant | February 4, 2019 at 9:19 am |

Sounds great, see you Wednesday, Steve & Jean

35. Marien Kaifesh | February 4, 2019 at 9:35 am |

Unfortunately, we won’t be at our condo in Cancun until Feb. 20, so we’ll miss it this time. Keep us posted! (Retiring in December — at an early age — and looking forward to ‘living the dream.’ Thanks for all the inspiration that it CAN be done!)

• If things go well, we’ll probably do this again. Maybe you can make the next one.

Welcome to the good life!

36. Dave Polensky | February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am |

Going to miss it by 10 days 🙁 We’ll be there 2/16-23.
    Can’t wait to spend time in our favorite destination!
    We’ll definitely keep an eye out and say ‘HI’ if we see you!
    dp

• Sorry you wont be here in time but there’s a good chance we’ll run into other while you’re in the area.

37. I won’t be there until Feb 19 and will leave on the 28th. I might still run into you though, around the residence. I’ll be doing a lot of exploring of the area.

• We have a trip planned for part of that time but I’m sure we’ll run into each other while you’re here.

38. Shawnee Childress | February 4, 2019 at 12:43 pm |

Hola! We live here in Cabo now, going on 2 years, and always enjoy your blogs. We won’t get that was this time either but will toast you guys from the Baja SUR! I am sure our paths will meet some day. Enjoy your get together, mutual lovers of Mexico!

39. Oh, I wish! We are actually arriving in Zihuatanejo on the 6th. Wrong side of the world! But there’s always next time!

40. Robert Gibbs | February 5, 2019 at 7:17 am |

Enjoy your blogs very much but won’t make it to the get together
    You might be interested in watching ” The Dark Side of Tulum” on YouTube, a very well made and thought provoking documentary .Btw the Mayan complex of Chichen Itza is well worth visiting, Bob

41. Les Kirstein | February 5, 2019 at 9:40 am |

Paul, I emailed you about Tulum developers allowing trash to enter the ocean. You can lookup the article onU tube @” The Dark side of Tulum.”
    Les Kirstein

42. Andreas Bode | February 5, 2019 at 9:22 pm |

We are have planned to arrive tomorrow in Marina Puerto Aventuras and will take a Taxi to meet you. Capt. Andy & Admiral,Leda SY catamaran Bossa Nova

43. Wish I could have been there. Hop you all had a great time!

44. Paul, please settle a discussion for us. Was the lead photo for this article taken on the east coast road of Isla Mujures and not Akumal?