Celebrating Our Anniversary With a Trip Abroad

Today Linda and I are celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary.

That’s right, folks. This kind, sweet, intelligent, beautiful, highly educated, charismatic, saint of a woman has been putting up with me for almost two decades now. I’m a very lucky guy.

For those of you who didn’t already know this, Linda edits all of my posts and she does a phenomenal job. She turns the drivel that I write into the semi-comprehensive articles that you see on the site. Without her assistance, I’m basically the digital equivalent of a 5-year old writing with the flat end of a fat crayon.

I didn’t want Linda to have to “work” on our anniversary, so I decided to just publish the unedited version of this post. Please ignore any typos, run-on sentences, grammatical errors and/or made-up words. Unless of course you like one of the made-up words, in that case feel free to use it and make it your own.

Okay, now that you have been sufficiently warned about what to expect, I’ll get to the point.

We’re Headed to Italy

No, we’re not moving there or anything like that. We just thought it would be nice to spend a few weeks in Italy during the low season.

We’ve been to Italy before in both the high and low seasons and I definitely prefer the latter. The prices for hotels are better and there are far fewer tourists. I enjoy exploring places without having to stand shoulder to shoulder with complete strangers.

How Does This Affect the Blog?

Although I plan on bringing a laptop along with me, I don’t anticipate having a lot of free time to research and write articles. My goal is to post something new at least once a week during our time there, but we’ll have to see how it goes.

As far as emails are concerned, it may take us a little longer than usual to respond but we’ll eventually get around to answering them all.

If you want to save yourself the trouble of having to check the site periodically to see if we posted something new, you can sign up to receive email notifications (see last section).

Since the theme of our blog is Mexico, we’ve decided not to post any pictures from our trip on our blog or accompanying Facebook page. We figured it might confuse people if they came to our site looking for information about Mexico and saw pictures of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

If you are interested in seeing pics from our trip, follow us on Instagram (2xpatsmx). We’ll only be posting our pictures there. Here’s the link:

Alright, that’s enough small talk. It’s time to finish packing and head to the airport. Hasta luego.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years and retired at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He moved to Mexico with his wife six days later to enjoy a laid-back, Caribbean lifestyle on a tight budget. In 2016, Paul started a blog to share information with other people who may be thinking of making the move to Mexico. The blog, Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us), has been viewed over a million times.

53 Comments on "Celebrating Our Anniversary With a Trip Abroad"

1. Have a fantastic time!
    We are headed to your area and have a question for you … can you pm me please?

• Go ahead and send it to the contact form. We plan on catching up on emails before we head to the airport later. 🙂

2. Cristina Esparza | February 20, 2018 at 7:25 am | Reply

Have a wonderful trip to Italy. Will miss your blog, but everyone deserves to get away, even if you live in paradise!

3. Latta F Little | February 20, 2018 at 7:27 am | Reply

4. Happy Anniversary and Bon Voyage !!!

5. Enjoy your trip! and do not worry about us. I love Italy and their coffee, so have one for me.

6. Don & I (in central fl) are also celebrating our anniversary today. (Numero 36)
    Wishing you and Linda the very best!
    Your blog bring smiles to our faces and fuel for our brains.
    Look forward to meeting you both…someday.- Cheryl V.

7. Happy anniversary! Your post was very entertaining as always…with or without Linda’s editing. Italy in low season is definitely the best. Enjoy!

8. shannon collier | February 20, 2018 at 7:38 am | Reply

CONGRATULATIONS ON 18 Years of marriage. Enjoy Italy spent two weeks in Tuscany 5 years ago it was wonderful.

Canadian hoping to find a place next winter in Mexico to rent. I read all your blogs and enjoy them.

9. Ciao and enjoy! Love Italy!!!

10. Happy Anniversary. Enjoy Italy and please take pictures for us. I would love to see them Have fun.

11. Patricia Armstrong | February 20, 2018 at 7:49 am | Reply

Happy Anniversary u two and enjoy your trip! U deserve this and more

12. Happy Anniversary!

13. Paul & Linda, Happy Anniversary and we hope you have a fantastic time in Italy. We’ll catch up with you guys when you get back. Safe travels!

Joane & Greg

14. Congratulations! My wife and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary by spending a month in Sicily. She has a Sicilian background, going to try to visit the place her great grandparents came from. Going in June, staying in various AirBNBs for a week at a time. Got some great rates.

15. Happy Anniversary!
    Have a great trip.

16. Tracy and Glenn | February 20, 2018 at 8:28 am | Reply

Happy Anniversary! We celebrate ten years next week in Mahahual. Having a great time at Seven Seas this past nine days, on two more weeks of sun and fun. Tracy and Glenn, Ottawa,Canada

17. Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your trip.

18. Happy anniversary. They say you can get a fabulous pizza In Napes!

19. Congrats and have an awesome time. We love Italy!

20. Enjoy a well earned trip! Thanks for the always informative and entertaining blogs. Hope to see you both in April.

21. Congratulations. My husband and I spent our 30th Anniversary in Italy. We met there. The majority of our time was in Tuscany, great food, great wine and beautiful vistas…it was magical. Buon viaggo!

22. Congratulations and have a great trip. My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary in Mexico. Our 14th on February 14.

23. We just passed our 18th also. Congrats! Enjoy Italy!

24. Enjoy your trip to Italy. For all of your budget minded subscribers, please let us know the name of any great restaurants and hotels you find along your travels. Please include their web address if possible.

25. Linda, you are an awesome editor and wonderful woman – Paul is very fortunate. Have a wonderful time and happy anniversary.

26. Felice anniversario!

27. Paul and Linda. Happy Anniversary!

28. Happy anniversary you two. So sad we are missing you. 🙁 We are finally making it to Akumal Feb21-28. Enjoy Italy, we will have to try another time.

29. Why don’t you document in your blog the formal procedure for a permanent resident to leave the country. We were in Tuscany for 10 days last April and loved every minute.

30. Happy anniversary, Linda and Paul. Enjoy your second honeymoon! And, Linda, great job of grooming Paul to a presentable level! Ja, ja, ja!

31. Happy anniversary!!! Have a lot of fun!

32. Now that we only maintain one home (Mexico), we have the funds we used to spend on snowbirding to travel anywhere else we want. So, this coming low, rainy season we are heading to Spain, Portugal and a Greek Island Cruise. For less money than we ever spent on maintaining a home in Canada while we travelled to Mexico for the winter. Hooray for living full time in Mexico! Have fun in Italy…and Happy Anniversary.

33. Happy Anniversary you too.You did very well on your post by yourself.Have a great trip…enjoy.

34. Happy anniversary, enjoy your trip; you deserve a break. I miss the Amalfi Coast.

35. Happy Anniversary! Have a fabulous time in Italy!!

36. Happy anniversary! Have a great trip! Thanks for the chance to follow along a little on instagram!

37. Tiffany Wallace | February 20, 2018 at 1:14 pm | Reply

Happy Anniversary Paul and Linda. I hope you have a wonderful trip 🙂

38. Have a great, well deserved, trip. I just want to know if she edited the preamble!!

39. Daniele Meilhan | February 20, 2018 at 4:57 pm | Reply

Happy Anniversary, have a fantastic trip. I am curious to know: when you fly to Europe is it more advantageous to go thru the US or directly from Mexico?

40. Good for you! Congratulations and enjoy Italy!

41. AWESOME! Plus two years in paradise. We’re getting closer! See you in May then August-permanent!
    Mike & Lynda – Palm Springs

42. Don’t worry about the blog. You’ve given us enough life-savers to keep us busy for two weeks. But it would be fun to hear about your adventures in Italy.

43. Guess what I got? My one-year temporary Visa. I was so please and so were the Immigration Officers, who I have visited with since Halloween. I think now, I am obligated to send them a Christmas Card.

44. Need a Mexican Bank Account. It’s a good idea BUT all the banks have different requirements. May I suggest Bancomar. All they want is your Passport, 500 pesos and something that has your address on it: gas bill, electric bill, water bill. They don’t even care if it has your name on it. Mine were addressed to my roommates. Their thinking is ‘why would anybody other than yourself pay these bills.’ They do charge $20 a month for six month for a life insurance policy. I guess in case I die and have overdrawn my account, they’re covered. After six months I guess they assume that I’m immortal. I didn’t ask.

45. Congratulations to a great couple! Enjoy your trip to Italy!

46. Mares Cribbins | February 21, 2018 at 2:22 pm | Reply

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Happy Anniversary, and have a wonderful time…You both deserve some quality time off! All your followers of the blog want you back safe…Relax and enjoy!

47. Congrats, Happy 18th Anniversary! Have a great trip to Italy!

48. Have a wonderful time in Italy!

49. Congrats on living happily ever after for the last 18 years…many more coming I’m sure. Have a
    wonderful trip and stay safe!

50. I just found your site. SORPRENDENTE!!! Started beginning Spanish and your lessons explain pronounciation. I may continue the class now that you have explained the sounds and rules. Thank you.

Happy anniversary.