From Paradise to Italy and Back Again

Siena, Italy (Source: Linda Kurtzweil)

I’m writing this post from the airport in Florence, Italy. Our three-week long Italian vacation has come to an end and it’s time to get back to reality — which has me super excited.

Don’t get me wrong, we had an amazing time in Italy but I’ve been feeling a little homesick for the Riviera Maya lately. I miss the warm tropical breezes and beautiful Caribbean beaches. I also miss the prices — which are considerably lower than those we have encountered here in Europe.

It’s time to go home, put our flip flops back on, and save up some money for next year’s big trip!

Time to Get Caught Up

Before we came to Italy, my intention was to get some blog articles written while I sipped wine at quaint little restaurants and cafes all over Italy.

The idea sounded great, at least on paper, but I quickly discovered that the Internet is not as reliable (or as fast) as what I am accustomed to where we live in Mexico. After a few frustrating and unsuccessful attempts to work on the blog, I finally just decided to pack up the computer and focus on my wine drinking — which was more fun anyway.

Starting tomorrow, we’ll connect to the high-speed Internet at our condo and get caught up on the mountain of emails from readers that have been accumulating over the past few weeks. More importantly, we’ll start posting new articles to the blog on a regular basis again. I see that a lot has been happening in the Riviera Maya since we left and I’m eager to write about it.

Thanks for your patience over the last few weeks and for continuing to follow us. Arrivederci.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking for to maximize their retirement income. In 2016, they started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) sharing their experiences, as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border. The blog has been viewed over two million times and the articles have been republished in numerous periodicals across Mexico.

19 Comments on "From Paradise to Italy and Back Again"

1. Glad you had a good time. Travel safe.

2. Sarah Viets | March 13, 2018 at 7:06 am |

Bienvenidos again to Mexico! I am anxious to hear your take on the latest news from Playa. We usually don’t worry at all about coming down there but I do want to hear what people down there are sayong. We will be there in June …. state dept warning specifically for Playa..yikes!

3. Looks like clouds the next few days, it will be a good time to catch up on everything…still swimsuit & flip flop warmth!’

4. Glad you had a good time, but there’s no place like home.

5. Latta F Little | March 13, 2018 at 8:08 am |

Glad you are back! Things don’t run as smooth, but everyone deserves a break, even if you are living in paradise you need to get away just to see how nice home is. Frank

6. Glad you made it back safely !

7. Glad you had a great time! Welcome back to your Caribbean Paradise!

8. Betsye McDonald | March 13, 2018 at 9:45 am |

Welcome back to paradise!!! Glad you had a great vacation! Looking forward to the coming blogs!!

9. Looking forward to your take on the ferry bombers.

• Q-Roo Paul | March 14, 2018 at 3:12 am |

I will probably write about that one first because it will take care of at least half the emails in my inbox…lol.

10. Hi Paul! Not sure if remember me but we have moved down to the Yucatan permanently now! And we are heading to Europe too! We are going for 2 months!!! Spain, Portugal, France and England! Have had a marvelous winter (other than the lousy weather in January). Life is truly wonderful! We will be gone during the hot hot months May & June but back for July & August! We may run for the hills (San Miguel Allende) in August!! We will see!! Life is good in Paradise!

• Q-Roo Paul | March 14, 2018 at 3:14 am |

Sounds like a great trip. Linda said that she wouldn’t mind dividing our time between Europe and Mexico. Maybe even doing some house-swapping to keep the costs down.

11. Hi Qroo, glad you guy’s enjoyed your adventure in Europe. We’re heading back down to PPP to Tulum in December to be married and my Fiance’ sends me the Cozumel ferry incident along with the American consulate pulling out of Playa news so now she says Kaui because of the threat. I contacted my sources in the state dept and they are saying possibly 2 real threats first the ferry thing may be a corporate -dis gruntled employee thing or to that effect as the bomb was a crude pressure device w no schrapnel and fortunately there were no fatalities. The second threat is very hush with them. Thought you could do some digging and alieviate my Fiance’s fears so we can be married in the Rivera Maya instead of an overpriced trip to Kaui that doesn’t have the magic or vibe of the Rivera Maya. Regards, Jim K

• Q-Roo Paul | March 14, 2018 at 3:10 am |

That whole ferry seems to have a lot of theories attached to it. The consulate office was reopened in Playa and rhey modified the threat to only apply to the ferry and a few local neighborhoods. It’s all quite odd but I plan on addressing the issues in a few posts.

12. Barbara Ransehousen | March 13, 2018 at 11:33 am |

Wonder if you care to comment on things going on in Cancun?

• Q-Roo Paul | March 14, 2018 at 3:07 am |

I plan on doing a few posts this month about issues directly affecting Cancun and the Riviera Maya.

13. Have a safe trip. Look forward to your blogs when you get home. Jane and I are coming down to check on our new condo at Zen on 3/14. Hope to see you guys.

14. Yep, another lousy day in paradise.

15. I am thinking about moving down to your part of the world and like the sound of your community. Can you give me some more informtion about renting or buying. tx, susan