Retired in Mexico: Choosing the Right Time and Method to Transfer Your Money

(Source: iStockphoto)

If you’re a retiree in Mexico from the U.S. or Canada, chances are pretty good that your retirement income comes from your home country. It might be in the form of social security, annuity, savings, or perhaps a good old-fashioned pension. In any case, you have to find a way to access your money when you’re south of the border.

The first thing you need to do to maximize your money is to open a Mexican bank account. If you would like to learn more about doing that, check out Opening a Bank Account in Mexico: Benefits and Requirements.

If you’re strictly relying on ATM machines to access your bank accounts back home, you’re really missing out on an opportunity to maximize your money. On the flip side, if you have a Mexican bank account but your retirement income is automatically deposited in that account each month, you’re still missing out.

The best option financially is to have your money deposited in your bank account back home and then choose the right time to transfer money based on the current exchange rate.

Monitor Exchange Rates

It’s not difficult to monitor exchange rates. In fact, the current exchange rates are updated hourly on this site.

A quick and dramatic change in the rate will usually be prompted by significant news events. For example, when a news story comes out that could negatively affect the Mexican economy (e.g. NAFTA), the value of the peso generally drops shortly thereafter and the dollar will be worth more — at least temporarily. That’s why it pays to keep up with current events.

Timing is Everything

You can either gain or lose money based on when you choose to transfer. For example, on April 17th, the dollar dropped to 17.95 MXN; however, only seven days later, it jumped back up to 18.95 MXN.

If you had transferred $5,000 to your Mexican bank account on either of those dates, the final amount you received would be quite different:

Of course these numbers don’t factor in transfer fees or the actual exchange rate offered by the bank or transfer service. We’ll be talking about those things soon enough. For the moment at least, let’s keep it simple.

So, in our example, we earned an extra $5,000 pesos on the transfer, but what does that mean in real spending power here in Mexico? Well, in our household, those extra pesos would have covered several of our monthly expenses. Take a look:

If you want to see a breakdown of all our expenses, check out: Retired in a Mexican Paradise: A Detailed Look at Our Expenses.

Remember, this illustrates the difference a single week can make. To really maximize your money, you should take advantage of unusually high peaks to transfer larger amounts.

For example, back in January of this year, the rate was 19.86. If you had transferred the same $5,000 USD back then, you have earned $9,550 pesos more than you would transferring the same amount on April 17th. Do you see how this works now?

Choosing the Right Transfer Service

Monitoring the exchange rate is only one part of maximizing your money. The next step is choosing the correct transfer method to ensure you’re getting the most money possible.

Bank Transfers

There are exceptions, but in most cases this is the worst option available. International wire transfers are a huge revenue source for large banks and they make their money through high fees and/or poor exchange rates.

Even if your bank says that international wire transfers are free, I guarantee that you’re losing money on the exchange rate. It pays to compare your bank’s rates and fees to those offered by third-party services.

Third-Party Services

These are companies who will handle the bank to bank transfer for you. For most people, this is the best option and will result in more of your hard-earned money ending up in your pocket on the Mexico side.

We’ve used several different services over the last three years, but the best one that we have found is Transferwise. They offer the actual bank to bank exchange rate and their fees are very low. This is the service that most of our neighbors also use.

We were so pleased with Transferwise that we agreed to do some affiliate marketing for them (something we rarely ever do). All that means is that if you click on the link above and end up using their service, we will receive a referral fee from the company which will be applied to the operating costs of this site.

This post went WAY longer than I like — sorry about that. I tried to edit it down as much as I could without losing any of the information.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll make up for it but foregoing a long Let’s Wrap It Up section. You can go back to doing whatever you were doing prior to clicking on the article and Linda and I will head to the beach.

Hasta Luego.

The biggest compliment that you can give us is to share our posts.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking for to maximize their retirement income. In 2016, they started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) sharing their experiences, as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border. The blog has been viewed over two million times and the articles have been republished in numerous periodicals across Mexico.

90 Comments on "Retired in Mexico: Choosing the Right Time and Method to Transfer Your Money"

1. Thanks for this information and all the good info you are sharing with us. Wish I had the nerve to jump ship here in the US, but as a widow…and an old one at that! I can only dream! Love reading your blog.

• Thanks for following the blog, but that dream could still come true. We know several single women who moved down by themselves and love it. 🙂

• Janet Ineson/FB Keeping up with the Inesons | April 28, 2018 at 10:48 am |

We live in San Antonio Tlayacapan in the Ajijic/Lake Chapala area of Mexico…..there are a great many single older women here, some even drove down by themselves!…lots to do here and great networking among them….don’t limit yourself! Dreaming can become reality!

2. gabriel villeneuve | April 28, 2018 at 10:27 am |

good-morning Paul
    I repeat my text because the transfer of the text was very bad

I do not understand how you can withdraw so much money in an ATM.
    in a hsbc each time it costs 33pesos to remove a maximun of 8000pesos.
    it is still less expensive to the ATM machine, than to open a Mexican bank account to make transfers of funds from my bank in Canada.

• We use the Mexican account to make money on transfers. For example, we transferred money earlier in the year and made a significant amount of money. If we were limited to withdrawing $8,000 pesos at a time from our U.S. account, we would have missed out on that opportunity.

Once the transfer is made, it’s free for us to use the our bank’s ATM’s. The maximum to withdraw each day is $8,000 per person, so $16,000 in our case. If we need more, we can go to the window, but we never do that. Instead, we prefer to pay for many goods and services through electronic transfer. This reduces our chance of being the victim of a crime.

This is how we pay carpenters, painters, furniture builders etc.

3. Ah yes, the continued struggle upon arrival – out how to get cash? I’ve been using Remitly.com, the company out of Seattle and it works pretty well, put in the amount and go to Electra or any one 10 Mexican banks and pick up your cash with a confirmation number. ButTransfer Wire does have better rates. What I didn’t understand from the site is where do you go to get the money?

• We transfer it from our U.S. account directly to our Mexican account. Usually via the app while we’re on the beach (gotta love technology).

I don’t believe that this particular service works like Western Union where you can pick up anywhere. Of course, those services are more expensive.

• I believe Xoom allows you to pick up cash at participating locations for a healthy fee.

4. Diane McNair | April 28, 2018 at 10:34 am |

Another EXCELLENT article Paul! We will definitely click on your link when we settle here in Mexico! Thanks again. The beach in PDC yesterday was absolutely beautiful; not a speck of seaweed…hope you guys have the same experience today!

5. It does not work to send canadian dollars to mexico! Too bad! Thanks anyway, I enjoy your blog!

• Thanks for letting me know that.

• I just had some Canadians confirm that it works from Canada as well. For some reason, the site is having difficulty guaranteeing the exchange rate for CAD to MXN today.

6. Chris McGinty | April 28, 2018 at 11:04 am |

Great information Paul! I was just wondering about this the other day so the timing was perfect. Just a quick FYI, I have a bank account at BBVA Compass in the states so I can withdraw from any BBVA Bancomer in Mexico with no ATM fees and will now see if I can do transfers directly.

• If they allow you to do transfers directly, let me know, and also, if you would note the exchange rate given. Most banks take about 5% of your money from you.

• Chris McGinty | April 30, 2018 at 4:48 pm |

I called my BBVA Compass today. I got a couple different answers but I finally got a customer service agent that double checked the information. He said with an activated Secure Money Transfer done in a branch office money can be transfer from BBVA Compass to BBVA Bancomer Mexico with no fee and can be done online or on my mobile app. There is a minimum of $25.00 and a maximum of $3,000. per day. The manager at my bank verified the information but thought there may be a fee of $3.00 but wasn’t sure. The bank exchange rate today is .05832. I hope this helps.

7. Best post ever! I have been struggling with the money transfer issue for months. Your information was exactly what I needed to know. Thank you, thank you!

8. Mary Darwall Santangelo | April 28, 2018 at 11:38 am |

Aloha Paul
    Perfect timing! I’ve been researching this topic this past week and you’v answered all my questions (for now) . See you both soon.

9. Banco Monex in PDC will open a US Dollar account. Once the money is in their bank you can withdraw as needed in Pesos. If you have any doubt about the exchange rate on a particular day just email your “banker” at Monex and he/she will verify the exchange rate for that day. Tell them how much you want by email and swing by and pick up the cash. No charge for anything.

10. Great article! Thanks Paul! Question… Do you find any value in keeping a US cc? There is nothing I love more than my Southwest credit card and all the points we earn for free flights back and forth to Chicago. I find the exchange rate I received from Chase on my credit card is pretty competitive. Of course I only use it at the grocery store or for big purchases. Cash is best at the smaller restaurants and beach clubs. I’d love your opinion on this. Thanks!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 28, 2018 at 4:05 pm |

Yes, if the card doesn’t have any foreign exchange fees it can really come in handy. You can also earn some benefits like cash back or air miles (depending on the card).

• Southwest is one of the few that still charges (substantial) foreign transaction fees, so I leave that one in my wallet. Most other ones these days do not, and you usually get a very good exchange rate, so that is still my preferred method. Some small businesses though, will tack on a 5-6% fee if you use a card vs. cash.

11. richshipley | April 28, 2018 at 12:09 pm |

Hey Paul… what about having the same bank in the US as in MX? Like HSBC, for instance. Do you think you would you still get dinged in excess in that scenario? Thanks for the great info!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 28, 2018 at 4:13 pm |

Yes, they still give bad exchange rates. Santander is a good example. They have banks all over the world and according to one news source, 10% of their global profits come from international transfers.

12. Thank you for this article Paul, very helpful info and very important to many ex-pat retirees who are trying to make the most of limited income. And it definitely wasn’t too long an article, sometimes communicating the info simply requires more words.

13. Hola!
    We have batted this quite a bit about opening a bank account here. Pros seem to be good, but we are a little leery about the transfer of money from US to a bank here. What if things get screwed up in process? It would probably be better money wise. We are renting a condo at the present, and payments have to be made from ATM. So that means high tailing over to bank ATM four times a month.We are fully aware of transfer fees from our bank .( We refuse to go to an outside ATM, has to be inside of bank.) Our property manager says that we could have it direct mailed, but the fee for that is $200.00 !
    So what to do at this point, is just do some more research, and figure it out.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 28, 2018 at 4:18 pm |

Money transfers are very secure and reliable. Almost all of our neighbors and friends here do it and we’ve never heard of a single issue.

Wow, going to the ATM four times a month must be a pain. Keeping everything digital would be a lot easier — and safer.

• I wholeheartedly agree with your endorsement of Transferwise, and it should alleviate some of Evelyn’s concerns. When you do a normal bank to bank transfer, it has to go from your bank to your bank’s main branch, to your bank’s international exchange bank (usually based in NYC) and then to the main bank in Mexico and then to your branch in Mexico. You have to have so many numbers, addresses, and other keys that are easy to confuse, and I have a had a few money transfers end up in limbo that way. But with Transferwise, it is extremely easy. All you need is one number, the Clabe, and very little other info, and the transfer has always happened quickly and accurately.

14. Thanks for what you do Pau! I agree that anyone spending a significant amount of time in Mexico should open a Mexican Peso account right away. A no-fee Mexican debit card is the simplest way I’ve found to get around Mexico. If the bank has a residency requirement ask a Mexican friend who has a banking relationship to help. My US bank offers a service which allows me send a maximum of 1,500 USD per day to Mexico at a cost of $5.00 per transaction. There is a monthly limit which I believe is 10,000 USD. I just did a side-by-side cost comparison of my US bank vs Transferwise to transfer 1,500 USD. Here are the bare-bones: At an exchange rate of 18.437, my bank charged me 1,505 USD to send 27,655 Pesos. At a slightly better exchange rate of 18.618, Transferwise quoted 1,514 USD to send 27,668. Transferwise would have given me 13 more Pesos, but at an extra cost of 9 USD. So I’ll stick with my bank today but will be checking Transferwise whenever I send funds from now on.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 29, 2018 at 7:10 am |

It sounds like you have a pretty good deal with your bank.

• We don’t have a special relationship with Wells Fargo so I’m sure their ExpresSend service is available to everyone. The numbers quoted above were accurate as of yesterday/Saturday. I’ll run another comparison on a weekday just in case this was a fluke. The maximum limitation imposed by Wells Fargo has not been a problem for us since we moved here 6 years ago but we’ve also kept a USD account at Bancomer just in case. Seems like Transferwise will make that back-up account unnecessary

• Just did a comparison this morning. On a transfer of 1,500 USD, Transferwise would have netted me 5.91 USD more than Wells Fargo’s ExpresSend. Kind of a push.

15. Nery Alonso | April 28, 2018 at 1:45 pm |

Thanks Paul for providing a different way to make a large amount transfer! I will definitely check it out. Are you allowed to make transfers when you are physically outside the US? I ran into that problem when I tried to set up an XE account. They provide a much better exchange rate than the bank.
    I am building a house in Mazatlan, and I waited for the right time to make a big transfer needed for the construction. I waited until the exchange rate was 18.98 before I headed to the bank; the week before it was 18.05. The bank still made a lot of money off of me since they only gave me an 18.01 rate.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 28, 2018 at 3:10 pm |

Yes, we didn’t have any problem moving the money through this service from here in Mexico.

XE has competitive exchange rates compared to banks but they aren’t always the best choice when compared to many other third-party providers.

16. Pamela Bruno | April 28, 2018 at 1:46 pm |

Thanks Paul! I’ll give this a test drive, compare to Wells Fargo’s Express Send, and let you know what I find…

• Q-Roo Paul | April 28, 2018 at 3:27 pm |

Thanks. I already compared it to XE and XOOM and Transferwise gave me the best return.

17. Nery Alonso | April 28, 2018 at 1:52 pm |

Gabriel above mentioned he has to pay 33 pesos when he withdraws money at the ATM. I have a Bank of America account in the US; they have an arrangement with Scotiabank in Mexico, so I don’t pay any fees when I withdraw money from my US account at the Scotiabank ATM. I wonder if there is a Scotiabank at Gabriel’s location.
    I did open a Scotiabank account in Mexico for convenience. I pay everyone via electronic transfer like you do. I woul hate to pay for the insurance that is offered when you withdraw money at the ATM, in case you get mugged.

18. Thanks for the valuable info, love the blog! Have you found that one Mexican bank is preferable to another to work with?

19. Ingrid C Royle | April 28, 2018 at 2:19 pm |

Paul ! Your posts are never too long and the info you give is great , helpful and much appreciated .

20. Pierre Morin | April 28, 2018 at 2:22 pm |

Hi Paul. We use the XE app and buy pesos at the rate we want and they transfer it to our Bancomer account with no extra charge.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 28, 2018 at 3:19 pm |

I’ve compared them all and although XE does not charge a fee, they make their money on the exchange rate.

I just checked with both services to see which one would give me the most on a transfer of $5,000. XE= 91,358 pesos, Transferwise= 92,281 pesos. You get more money with Transferwise.

21. David Costa | April 28, 2018 at 4:25 pm |

Do you know the best way to transfer money to the USA? I use Cibanco but not sure if the company you recommend here allows this type of service.

22. Nery Alonso | April 28, 2018 at 4:45 pm |

Hi Paul! I checked out the video to make my first transfer. How long does it usually take for your money to show up in your Mexican bank account? Do you know what the transfer limit is, and if you can make more than one transfer a month? Does one need the CLABE and SWIFT to make the transfer?
    Since I’m building I will have to make a large transfer, but I may have to do a smaller one prior to that to make sure everything goes smoothly. I saw lots of negative reviews where people had to wait for days to get their money back when TransferWise deactivated their accounts. It is a little scary doing it for the first time, even at the bank, since they clearly tell you that if you make a mistake in the info you provide, it is your fault.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 29, 2018 at 6:02 am |

Hi, the money shows up within 1-3 days. I’m not sure what the top limit is on transfers but we were able to move than with services like Xoom.

On the U.S. side, you only needed the account number and routing number, on the Mexico side, the CLABE.

23. Linda M Manzon | April 28, 2018 at 5:11 pm |

Love your blog as always but don’t get the benefit to having a 3rd party handle wire transfers. I just email my bank. They send a form to sign, scan and send back to them for permission to withdraw funds from my account. They do the wire transfer and send me a receipt. Easy.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 29, 2018 at 5:59 am |

Bank transfers are easy but they can result in some lost income.

• I have had to make bank transfers from two different banks (switched to a second just because the first was so inept at sending foreign transfers), Both require me to be there in person, and it is normally a 30-60 minute process with a lot of info needed, and a cost of around $70. With Transferwise, after initially setting up your bank account which takes a few days for them to validate, I can do a transfer with a phone or computer from anywhere in the world in about a minute, for about $9 for my average transaction.

24. CI Banco is the best we get 7.1% annual on 28 day investments. And their ATM withdrawal charge for non customers is 17.4 pesos less than a dollar US. For us zero.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 29, 2018 at 6:14 am |

Tell me more about this 28 day investment option at 7.1% annual. That sounds interesting.

• The nearest CI Banco to you is Cancun. Once you have opened an account you can invest for 24 hours for 5% annual which we do with the amount we need to keep liquid. That money becomes available every morning then you instruct them to reinvest by 3 pm. The 28 day investment is currently earning 7.1% annual. Our account. Our accounts are at the branch fronting on the street at Commercial Plaza America, Av. Coba south side of the street. There is parking in the back. Ask for Sebastiana she is terrific; available, attentive.
        998-219-2491 you can call or send a message via WhatsApp. We send a WhatsApp to reinvest the overnight money or to hold out more for a major purchase or trip.

25. Great blog!

26. Plan to leave the US next year. Yeah! Your blog is helpful in figuring out the knitty gritty details of life. Thank you!

27. Helen McNamara | April 28, 2018 at 8:32 pm |

We use Transferwise to transfer money from Canada on a regular basis. CIBC to HSBC. Works just fine. Quick easy and usually a better exchange rate than using, for instance, CIBC free Global Money Transfers. Those transfer may be free but the terrible e change rate costs you more pesos than paying the small fee to Transverwise. We then use the dr card or the check book issued to us from our Mexican HSBC account. Makes life very easy and saves us money as long as we keep our eyes on the exchange rate. . One of the earlier comments said they could not use Transferwise from Canada. Not true.
    Another great post Paul.

28. Charles Wilson | April 28, 2018 at 8:45 pm |

Check out OFX rates are good and no charge if transferred between US bank and Mexican bank.

29. Paul Blish | April 29, 2018 at 7:40 am |

Another great post Paul! I use Transferwise to pay bills but it never occurred to me to use it to transfer from my bank in the US to my bank in Mexico. Also, I just noticed another cool feature that Transferwise supports. You can set up an alert to be notified when the peso hits a two week high or when it exceeds a certain threshold.

30. Jerry Wommack | April 29, 2018 at 10:07 am |

Thanks for the information on TransferWise. I spend about 6 months each year in Isla Mujeres and regularly send my bank in MX money from my US bank account. Using TransferWise, I will save about $32.00 USD each time I send myself money or pay a Mexican bill. I could have saved a bundle of money over the past 15 years had I known about TransferWise earlier. Thanks again.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 29, 2018 at 5:48 pm |

Thanks for sharing your experience with this service — and for following the blog 🙂

31. Joan Somerville | April 29, 2018 at 10:40 am |

Great article. You capture the essence of things beautifully

32. Great advice Paul! I remember as expats in Japan we always watched the exchange rate and did our best to maximize our Yen. I hope to start needing to do this in Mexico soon. Congrats on your blog popularity too!

33. George Ruff | April 29, 2018 at 11:24 am |

As usual good stuff Paul !
    Now if you wanted to buy Real Estate & need to transfer say $200K for closing on the property…is what you described the best way ? Does this type of transfer upset Uncle Sam ? I’m trying to plan for our future South of the Border.

• Q-Roo Paul | April 29, 2018 at 5:46 pm |

If you’re buying a property from a developer who caters to Americans and Canadians, it is not uncommon for them to have bank accounts in those countries for the purpose of accepting transfers. If they don’t, you can do it through a typical bank transfer or in a series of smaller payments through a pay service.

Transferwise has limits on transfer amounts:
      Private individual – $50,000 per day and $250,000 per year
      Business – $250,000 per day and $1,000,000 per year

34. Gerald Bourhis | April 29, 2018 at 11:26 am |

Thank you Paul for another awesome and very informative article. I’m glad it was a longer post as it had a lot of detail, and when dealing with banking and our hard earned money, that is always good. Also a thank you to Helen McNamara for confirming that TransferWise works for us Canadians. She is also a wealth of good advice on her group page for us.

35. I’ll figure out how to handle money transfers later as I hope to move down with a permanent visa before the end of the year. My question is should I bring my ss card birth certificate and army discharge paper or just copies? I plan on using workawaymexico or maybe try house sitting cause’ I’m a cheapeskate. Actually , I just want to stay busy. Your blog has been so helpful. Hope to meet you some day. Enjoy the beach!

• Q-Roo Paul | April 30, 2018 at 9:36 am |

You won’t need the originals down here. If you have a safe place to store them in the U.S., you might want to consider leaving them there.

• We are enrolling in IMSS health insurance and are required to have our birth certificates and marriage certificate translated into Spanish by a certified Mexican government translator for the enrollment. As Paul noted copies will work for everything else – bank account, buying/selling real estate, driving license, etc. I haven’t seen my SS card since I was drafted in the first draft lottery in 1969. That ended my college exemption…..The SS number became my Army ID number.

36. Danielle Martinico | April 30, 2018 at 7:23 am |

We have purchased a home in San Felipe and plan on moving/retiring in October from Orlando, Fl. Your blog has been so helpful in removing some of our anxiety. So appreciate this information!!!
    Danielle n Tony

• Q-Roo Paul | April 30, 2018 at 9:34 am |

You’re welcome! Good luck on the next chapter of your lives south of the border. 🙂

37. Great article!

38. Thank you very much for your story on money transfers. I’ve been looking for quite awhile to find one that is cheap and reliable. I tried your suggestion TransferWise last Saturday morning. I sent a sample transfer of $600.00 U.S. from my U.S. bank account, to my Citibanamex account here in Merida, Yucatan. It arrived today just as promised, no excuses, and no issues. This is great because I usually make 3 to 4 bank ATM withdrawals a month which includes two bank fees each time. Now I can do one transfer and only incur one transfer fee, (which is cheaper in its’ self than one ATM withdrawal.). I don’t usually write thank you notes, but this time it is really deserved. I appreciate the info very much. Yes, I did click on your TransferWise link so you will get the credit for my signing up. Again, thanks a lot.
    -Barry- in Merida

39. Thomas Bauchard | May 1, 2018 at 1:56 pm |

Thanks for your time and information, I have lived in Baja for 7 years but still find a wealth of great information in your daily blog and it’s enjoyable as well. I tried to sign up for Transfer wise and found it smooth to a point; however, after that I could not proceed. No matter what I did I received error nessages dsyibvy “an internal error has occurred:”. Admittedly, I am not a technician oerson and am older but I became very uncomfortable having entered all of my personal information already. I sent an email to their support depat asking (pleading) that the drld my information and received confirmation right away that they had done so along with their apologies for the problem. I guess I will continue to plug along transferring money in a way thst’s more expenditure but eaduer fir me.
    Thanks again for what you do,
    Thimsd

40. Kristin Koeleman | May 2, 2018 at 1:18 pm |

This was SO helpful and perfect timing! I just wired $$ from my US bank to my bank in MX. $$ “floating” somewhere for two weeks. Turns out MX bank put a block on our MX account so wire was sent back. I lost over $800 because of conversion rate changes in the past 2 weeks. TransferWise here we come!

41. Leah Lichter-Roedig | May 8, 2018 at 11:50 am |

Paul,
    We are on our way to live in San Carlos Sonora. Your blog is wonderful. Thank you so much. Have you used TransferWise’s borderless account? We have not set up a Mexican bank account yet, but this looks like it might solve some of the exchange rate issues.
    Leah

42. Nery Alonso | May 16, 2018 at 10:23 am |

I just completed my first TransferWise transaction. It took a week because they had to confirm my identity. I hope that now that they have done that, they will be able to complete the next in two days, as you said. Thanks for letting us know about TransferWise!!

43. I wholeheartedly agree with your endorsement of Transferwise. When I used to do a normal bank to bank transfer, I had to show up in person to the bank and spend 30-60 minutes (or more for one bank that is incompetent at international transfers), with a lot of info, and then it cost about $70 or so. Because of the number of transfers that the money has to make through this system of bank transfers, it would take a week or more, and once in a while would get lost in limbo for up to three weeks. But with Transferwise, it is extremely easy. All you need is one number, the Clabe, and very little other info, and the transfer has always happened quickly and accurately. The first transfer takes a few extra days as it establishes your and links your bank account, but after that, eazy peazy.

44. Great article on bank transfers Paul, first rate as usual. I am trying to find a solution to pay all of my bills (CFE, Cable etc) using an American credit card whether I am back in Mexico or not. With the demise of Simplepay and reports of Xoom not being able to process CFE’s I wonder if you or your compadres have come across a nice app that provides “one stop shopping“ to get all of your bills paid. Is Xoom still working for you or is the American Credit Card the problem? In short, what process do you go through to get all of your bills paid, from property tax to trash, water, electricity, internet etc. I don’t plan to have a Mexico bank account or Mexican credit card unless I have to.
    thanks again for all of your great work, keep the inspiration coming. And thanks for your 25 years of service…….Cheers