Retiring in Mexico: The One Thing We Wish We Had Done Differently

It’s been almost four years since Linda and I stepped off of a plane at the Cancun airport with 99% of our belongings packed neatly in four suitcases. We had either sold, donated or given away everything else we owned before heading to Mexico in search of a laid-back Caribbean lifestyle on a budget.

If you’re a regular reader of our blog, you know that things turned out very well for us. We live a debt-free active lifestyle on about 1/3 of the income that we had when we were both working, and most importantly, we’re very happy.

Still, readers of the blog often ask us if there is anything we wish we had done differently. To be honest, there’s only one thing that either of us can think of…

[Cue the drum roll]

We wish we had applied for permanent residency at the Mexican Consulate instead of temporary.

“So, why didn’t you?” You may ask. That’s a good question because we actually qualified for both.

The answer is simple. We received incorrect information from the consulate employee processing our application.

She said that the major downside of applying for permanent residency is that we would only be allowed to be outside of Mexico for a limited amount of time each year.

Just to be clear, this is not true, but that was apparently her understanding of how it worked.

When we pressed her for details, she couldn’t tell us the exact time limits. We both attempted to Google the answer, but neither of us had a connection inside the consulate.

Linda was worried that she wouldn’t be able to visit her family in the States as much as she wanted, so we opted for temporary — but not before asking if we would be able to change our mind and switch to permanent later.

The same employee assured us that we would be able to change our status with immigration officials once we arrived in Mexico.

Also not true.

Once we arrived in Mexico, we learned that there were no in-country time limits placed upon holders of Permanent Resident Cards, so we attempted to amend our application from temporary to permanent.

Too late!

We were informed by immigration officials that since we were approved for temporary residency by the consulate, that was the track we were stuck on.

They added that the only way for us to switch to permanent residency at that point, would be to do one of the following:

• Keep temporary residency for four years and then apply for permanent (which is the route we chose)
  • Let our temporary residency expire after the first year, return to the U.S. and apply for permanent residency at the Mexican Consulate.

We later found out that this wasn’t exactly true either, but we accepted them at their word. The funny thing is that we contacted a couple of immigration specialists in the area and they gave us similar answers.

What’s Wrong with Temporary?

The biggest problem with a Temporary Resident Card is that it has to be renewed and that requires time and money. Two things that I hate to waste.

Renewing a Temporary Resident Card in Mexico is not as simple as paying a fee and receiving the new card. It requires additional paperwork and time. If you don’t hire anyone to assist, you can expect to make a few trips to INM during the process.

Once you begin the renewal process, you might have to wait months to get your card (it’s currently taking up to four months in Playa del Carmen), and during that time, you can’t leave the country without first obtaining written permission from the Mexican government. Which, of course, comes with a fee.

Speaking of fees, Temporary Resident Cards cost more than a Permanent Resident Cards. And here’s the kicker, after four years, you’ll have to pay to get a Permanent Resident Card anyway.

To see the fee schedule, click HERE.

Looking back at the all the things that could have possibly gone wrong while moving to a foreign country and buying property there, this is really pretty minor. I guess that’s why I’ve never mentioned it on the blog before today.

One good thing that did come out of that experience is that it motivated me to learn as much about Mexico’s laws, regulations and procedures as I could.

I later started sharing what I learned with others via this blog — and here we are.

Joining our Patreon page will help us keep the blog ad-free and you’ll also get access to our private Facebook groups, exclusive content and live Q&A streaming events. Click HERE for more information.

89 Comments on "Retiring in Mexico: The One Thing We Wish We Had Done Differently"

1. Nancy Sabat | June 20, 2019 at 2:42 pm |

Temporary residency allows you to bring your vehicle over with a registration that you renew every 6 months. Permanent residency only allows you to import your vehicle

2. Wow, that’s good to know. Thanks!

3. Karen L Walpole | June 20, 2019 at 2:47 pm |

Great article as always Paul, thanks for sharing the knowledge you have gained along the way!!

4. I received exactly the same incorrect information, then had exactly the same experience! Now 4 years in, I am getting ready to apply for my permanent residency visa. Adriana has indicated that the process is now taking about 5 months…I guess I am not the only one applying for Perm these days.

• Really? Well it’s nice to know that Linda and I aren’t alone. 🙂

• Pam and Paul:
      Ditto- same happened to me as well! Although i did want to bring my truck and camper with us to Mexico and did so, I wish we had not bothered! It has been to much of a PAIN and we lost our TIP security deposit anyway even though we sent umpteen letters to all the different offices including customs, SAT, INM and Banjercito regarding our temporary visa application and approvals. I will go to permanente in 2021. Also the INM office in TUX refuses to deal with you if you speak poor Spanish or only English. Thank goodness my husband is Mexican and speaks Spanish fluently as I needed his help many times! Jennifer re Chiapas and Chapala

• It sounds like you have a wealth of experiences to share. Ever thought of starting a blog? 🙂

5. Paul your blogs are always informative and timely. I am preparing for my second step in obtaining permanent residency. Thank you for your knowledge!

• Happy to help. Good luck on phase two. They are way behind in the area where we live (Playa del Carmen) and the delay is about 5 months.

6. Mark in Merida | June 20, 2019 at 2:50 pm |

Fortunately we were given the right information at the Embassy in Washington DC; they group was amazing, and helpful throughout the process for application and getting customs for household. We’re have are only 2 years into the residency, and since we got in under the new rules, we are residents for a lifetime. We were told when we registered upon arrival at INM they would like us to come back every 10 years to give them an update and verify our status and address – I assumed that was to see if we were still alive…. the new Resident Premente in Mexico is clearly the way to go!

• I’m glad to hear that it went so smoothly. Permanent residency right off the bat is definitely the way to go.

7. Janelle DeStasio | June 20, 2019 at 2:51 pm |

Thank you for explaining this. We are planning to go with permanent residency and now I’m secure that we are making the right decision.

8. Janelle DeStasio | June 20, 2019 at 2:52 pm |

Did you go to the consulate in Orlando?

9. Bill Conklin | June 20, 2019 at 2:54 pm |

The consulate official was more out of date than wrong. The old FM2/FM3 system did have time limit on FM2 but that removed when that system replaced by Permanente/Temporal. Temporal not that big of an issue since you can apply for 3yr renewal at 1st anniversary, get TIP extended for three years and get Permanente at next renewal.

• Thanks for sharing that, Bill. It’s nice to know that it came from somewhere…lol.

10. Tthankyou for this information! As always its clear and informative.

11. Thanks for sharing. That’s good to know. One of our attractions to moving to Mexico is knowing someone who’s been there done that.

12. Any attorney recommendations (Orlando FL) for handling the Perm Res paperwork and process?

• No, you don’t need one for that part — it’s not difficult; however, I do recommend you get someone to help you with Part Two once you get to Mexico.

13. Ronald h MINTER | June 20, 2019 at 2:59 pm |

I live 6 months of the year in Bucerias, Nayarit, I started with a Temporary and renewed it annually in Bahia Banderas with no significant effort or paperwork, just a fee. I failed to meet a renewal date after 3 years because of surgery in the US. They insisted on my changing to Permanent. This I did, no significant issues other than a fairly large fee. They gave me 1 month to get my 1 year old Chevrolet out of the country,( cannot nationalise newer vehicals), I applied for an extension and was given an extra 2 months. Came back and bought a Mexican Nissan. The immigration advisor I used told me going to Permanente directly was difficult and costly. Ron Minter

14. John Rutledge | June 20, 2019 at 3:01 pm |

We know it also depends on who you talk to whether you can go directly to permanent without holding temporary for 4 years. Supposedly If one has the required income from retirement,and can verify it with either 6 or 12 months of bank statements, depending on who you talk to, you can go directly to permanent. The New Orleans Mexican consulate let one friend go directly to permanent, while the Mcallen Texas consulate made another friend go temporary 4 years. Both were super qualified and well documented with retirement income.

15. Peter Arnold | June 20, 2019 at 3:05 pm |

Slightly off topic, but close. When you fly out of Mexico with your Pernanente, you fill out a form, have it stamped, and return the other half when you re-enter Mexico. If you drive out, you don’t fill in that form. What happens if you fly back and have no form to turn in?

16. Quote:
    * Keep temporary residency for four years and then apply for permanent (which is the route we chose)
    * Let our temporary residency expire after the first year, return to the U.S. and apply for permanent residency at the Mexican Consulate.

Also not true (that these are the only two ways to convert).

Anyone with a temporary residency card can go to their local immigration office IN MEXICO and apply for permanent residency at any time (not just at expiration) with proof of meeting financial requirement and make the switch. I’ve helped friends do it at the Morelia INM office, so I know it is permitted. See Articulo 44 of the Lineamientos here:

The first point you refer to, keep RT for four years, is Requisito 6 in the above. But Requisito 5 is the alternative I’m referring to:

5. En el caso de pensionados o jubilados deberán presentar:
    a) Original y copia de comprobante de inversiones o cuentas bancarias con saldo promedio mensual equivalente a veinticinco mil días de salario mínimo general vigente en el Distrito Federal durante los últimos doce meses, o
    b) Original y copia de los documentos que demuestren que cuenta con ingresos o pensión mensual libre de gravámenes equivalente a quinientos días de salario mínimo general vigente en el Distrito Federal, durante los últimos seis meses, y

Saludos,
    Mark

• That’s exactly what we tried to do at the INM office in Playa del Carmen. We were denied. We spoke to two immigration attorneys and asked them to handle it, they gave us the same answer we were given at INM.

We even tried again at the one year renewal period and were told no yet again.

I even brought a copy of the DOF guidelines you cited. They all agreed that I qualified, but said I should have applied for it at the consulate. They said that was my opportunity to take that route.

• In reading through the comments section, I see that a couple of people were able to jump to permanent after the first year of temporary. As I discovered long ago, Mexico is a country of inconsistencies when it comes to the application of its rules, laws and protocols.

17. Wow! That is a big difference in arriving thinking you were all set and having to go around one more time. I am sorry you did not get correct information then. Mexico needs more new permanent residents like you, so respectful of the laws and happy to oblige, may be what it may be. Your valuable information serves new arrivals, those contemplating to stay permanently and people like me: Mexicans coming back home. Thanks

18. Bonnie Franklin | June 20, 2019 at 3:10 pm |

We just want to say thanks for all the great and continued information (inspiration) you and Linda have shared. We started our journey to live here FOREVER one year ago and have owned since August 2018. With suitcases in hand we too desired a simpler life and we found it in Puerto Aventuras, which has been the answer to our need of a community that provides to a low vision retiree. Husband feels so confident again to regain some independence and less confinement. Thanks again.

• I’m so glad to hear that things are going well for you two in Puerto Aventuras. You may run into us up there someday, we occasionally visit the restaurants in PA.

19. emilys72016 | June 20, 2019 at 3:11 pm |

Really glad we got newer intel (online and at the Orlando consulate) and went for permanent residency from the get-go last year. Knowing others who have had to go from temp to perm, it sounds like a real PITA. We just had to change our address with INM (just from one house number to another on the same street, same town), and the amount of paperwork was surprising! And even after putting in the request, it takes 1-2 weeks for them to do the change, at which time we have to return to INM, I assume to sign or receive the final papers. Just to change a three-digit house number! Shaking my head at that one, but very glad we have our PR already; that’s one thing we won’t have to do again. Thanks so much for your always-helpful blog!

• I’m glad to hear that the Orlando Consulate updated their training manuals since we were there in 2015…lol.

20. I think that the benefit of starting out temporale for some people is that the financial requirement is not as high as it is for permanente (aside of course from if you have a foreign plated car). My husband went immediately to permanente with no problems and I took temporale because we drove down here in my car. After 1 year I simply went to an attorney here and she got my temporale (and TIP) extended for another 3 years. Now when I go for permanente after those 3 years I will not need to prove financial assets etc. again. We are helping friends go through the 1 + 3 years temporale because they don’t meet the financial requirements of permanente, then they will be able to get their permanente after the 4 years.

21. Hey there Paul! We talked a.while back – I bought a condo in the Yucatan Jungle for a song!! We.are.now here permantly on a TR – I have my 3 years renewal in now. Been some trials about my card as.it was stolen in Europe (along with my Credit Cards &DL) Just a word of caution – it is a bitch to get a stolen and/or lost card back! Took months and a fairly hefty price tag! The same amount as the original card cost! Just a word to the wise – don’t loose or get you card stolen! JUST DON’T! But we are.still so Happy with our decision! We couldn’t afford.to.go to Europe otherwise!

22. Hi – can you also drive your vehicle in with stuff loaded in the back and be just on a tourist Visa? Once I got my bigger stuff down there and exit within the 6 months, I could then start the process in my home Country for Permant? Subsequent trips down would then be flying. Sound about right?

23. Sharon Lesley | June 20, 2019 at 3:49 pm |

I’m surprised at an earlier comment stating that it’s 5 months to change a TR to PR. A friend recently went to get her PR in Playa del Carmen and it was no different time or procedure wise from renewing a TR, about 6 weeks start to finish.

• They are way behind in Playa right now. They said they was a shortage of plastic cards or something like that.

24. Amazing timing on this article, I received my permanent resident card yesterday and my CURP today. I decided to apply straight away for permanent residency since I met the financial requirements, which are not that difficult. I did not inform the Mexican consulate that I am married to a Mexican citizen, out of concern that they would push me toward a temporary visa. My permanent residency has no expiration, so no need to renew.

I have been accessing posts from your blog a few times a week as I have been getting organized to retire in Mexico. Thanks for everything.

• Going permanent was the way to go. I’m glad to hear that things are going smoothly for you.

25. Laurel Wentz | June 20, 2019 at 4:14 pm |

Funnily enough, I applied for temporary residency, and the NY consulate insisted on giving me permanent. I knew I qualified for both, but believed that temporary would give me more flexibility in sending a household shipment, which may or may not have been true. After almost a year in Merida, I’m very glad to have gotten permanent residency from the beginning.
    And in the end I got rid of everything and flew down with a few suitcases. That extreme downsizing was painful, and my one thing I would have done differently would have been to keep a few more of the meaningful (to me) things — including books, art, textiles, ceramics — I’d collected over a lifetime from around the world.

26. I’m in an odd situation. We came in on a Temporary Visa (my wife and 2 kids), did the 3 year renewal, so in 1.5 years will be ready for Permanent. My son however turned 18 and will be starting university in the States but would still like to obtain Permanent status for after he graduates. Anyone been in this situation?

27. MICHAEL L DUFFEY | June 20, 2019 at 4:46 pm |

Ok, retired cop to retired cop, I’m retired from Detroit, question, my Temporary expired in October, I’m currently in Pubela, will be spending a month each in Pubela until July 11, then Leon, Guanajuato, San Miguel Allende and finishing up in Guadalajara, before going to Puerto Vallarta for the winter. When should I start the process of applying for another year ?

28. MICHAEL L DUFFEY | June 20, 2019 at 4:48 pm |

Sorry expires in October.

29. Peggy Westberg | June 20, 2019 at 5:02 pm |

We applied right after the “new” rules came in effect in November 2012. We thought we could only apply for Temporary, so we did that. When it came time to renew the following year, we just transferred from temporary to Permanent. (Within Mexico)

30. FredinMotul | June 20, 2019 at 5:08 pm |

DUDE! If this is the ONLY thing you would have done differently, your life must be pretty good! Congratulations. Back in Puerto Escondido, with a great contact in Immigration, we changed over to Temporary Visa from Tourist, renew ever 180 Days MESS, and since we were caring for a parent with medical issues at the time, it was great. We moved to Motul in 2010, and got in touch with the offices in Merida and they could not have been more helpful. Even coming out here to Motul to deal with my fragile Mother-In-Law so she did not have to make the trip, which we all greatly appreciated. Right in there somewhere, the new Permanent became available, and our Merida Office Contacts told us we qualified and we should get it for us all. Must have been the very last of the In Country Conversions. It went surprisingly easy and the only sadness was that one of us did not live to receive her card. We also were given the lecture about losing the card. We were told that if we lost it, we would have to apply all over again. I never carry it anywhere and always carry a copy only for day to day things and keep it with my passport locked up except when I leave Mexico, infrequently. It has been wonderful NOT going back to the offices and having to get all that financial paperwork together. Worth It!!

• Hahaha, you’re right. Our life is pretty good. That’s why this is the only thing we could think of that we would have done differently.

31. Dave McLeod | June 20, 2019 at 5:43 pm |

Thank you again for the excellent in for. I am going to be applying for my permanent residency before the start of November.

32. We live in Merida, bought our house back in 2013 and moved down full time 2 yrs ago, right away had heard of a group of young ladies called Yucatan Expatriate Services or YES for short, they recommended applying for permanent from the start which we did in Portland OR with no issues then the YES gals helped us finish when we got here. Helped us register our car, get signed up for IMMS they are a gem and do it all for a reasonable price, worth every penny.

Loveing life in Merida

Tracy

33. Suzanne M Same | June 20, 2019 at 5:50 pm |

Nancy Sabat. Just wanted to say that on a Temporale your car is tied to your Visa. So I went to Aduana twice when I first turned in paperwork for Temporale in Mexico. Once for the 30 day window and again when I received my card. This was on advice from a facilitator. I did the same when my 3 year renewal was due. The first time on each occasion was to register with the NUT that you receive from INM when you turn in your application and the second when you receive your new Visa card. Do not assume it is automatic. I have been dealing with banjercito since my original credit card for deposit was closed and I needed to have the credit applied to a new card when I turned in my TIP. This email: vehiculos@banjercito.com.mx has been amazing, replying withing 24 hours to each email (with the proper paperwork on my part). Maybe this email can help someone else.
    I appreciate that others may have done this differently as I hear stories all the time, but this is the advice I got from an expert and it worked for me. More advice: keep all the paperwork you receive from Aduana (copy in your car). It is especially handy if you are stopped before your new Visa goes through and you can prove your car TIP is current.

34. Anthony Joseph Jozwiak | June 20, 2019 at 5:53 pm |

If I wanted to live part time in both the U.S. and Mexico, is there a maximum number of times or days a year you can enter or spend in Mexico before they require you to get a temporary residency? Would I be able to fly into Cancun for 2-4 or 6 weeks at a time every other month?

35. William Bruff | June 20, 2019 at 7:21 pm |

Good topic and info. for those facing the choice. The biggest recommendation you could make is for ex-pats to NOT bring a U.S. car into Mexico, it complicates the visa issues, and requires returning the vehicle to the U.S. when you want to sell it. Every major brand of car is available in Mexico, new or used. Those of us living in major cities don’t need a car with Uber, Didi and abundant taxis and public transportation. Come live in Mexico without the anchor of your U.S. car!!

36. Hey there. Actually you can apply for a change in status. I did that on the anniversary of my first year of temporary status. Also it’s not that difficult or costly to get a travel letter while waiting for your residency papers. I also did that!!

• I’m glad it worked out for you. Like many things in Mexico, there is a lot of inconsistencies. We spoke to INM about doing that at the one year renewal and we told that although we did qualify, we should have done that when applying at the consulate.

As far as the permission to leave is concerned, it’s not super expensive but it is an added hassle to visit INM, pay the fee and later return to INM. I guess I just like to keep things simple. 🙂

37. This happened to us too with bad advice from the Sacramento consulate. Other than the extra costs it hasn’t been a big deal. Just frustrating.

38. Marg Moran Mcquinn | June 20, 2019 at 9:42 pm |

The Mexican consulate in Canada gave me the same incorrect info. So I went through the temp residency requirements via an immigration lawyer in Cozumel. She told me that she could get me permanent residency when I returned for the winter. And she did. Easy peasy. Like so much in Mexico, “it depends”.

• We should have gone with her a few years back. Oh well, it’s all water on the bridge now. 🙂

39. Georgia Solotoff | June 21, 2019 at 6:46 am |

We live in Pennsylvania and went to the Mexican Consulate in Philadelphia and guess we were lucky. The person we dealt with was wonderful. She said don’t do temporary, apply for permanent. Good advice. Did that and when we got to Playa it took about 4 weeks to complete. Once we got to Mexico we had to stay till everything was done. It was about 2 years ago so maybe less volume. But it was around winter holidays so office closed on many days. You just have to do it in “Mexican time”. Regarding vehicles, my suggestion, don’t bring a vehicle. They are more inexpensive here and much less hassle. Isn’t that our goal!

• Glad to hear that it worked out so quickly in Playa. They are way behind nowadays.

Great advice not bringing a vehicle too.

40. Michael Thomas | June 21, 2019 at 6:53 am |

Great source of info…thanks to all that replied. I as well live in Mexico. Cabo San lucas to be exact. I hired a local specialist to help me decide which was the best way to go…Temporary or Permanent! She advised permanent which I did. It took only a few months till i secured my green card and she was with me each step if the way. For $250 it was well worth the money. There was not one hiccup during the complete process as she handled everything. My advise..look for a specialist where you decide to call home and let them do the “dirty” work for you!

• Great advice. In the Playa del Carmen area, we recommend the following immigration specialist:

Adriana Vela, Immigration Specialist
      Business site: migrationtomexico.com
      Contact email: contact@migrationtomexico.com

She will be handling our transition to permanent. 🙂

41. Paul,

I understand there are a couple of other concerns with a permanent visa – perhaps you can confirm or correct?

First is that you still have to notify INM of any change of address, so it’s not just throw the RP in the sock drawer and forget about it, which would be really easy (for me, at least) to do if several years had passed between getting the RP and moving. They also want to know about any change in employment status (since you can legally work with an RP). And doesn’t owning rental property trigger the “lucrative activities” requirement?

The other issue is if one is planning to apply for citizenship. If I understand the rules, you must be able to show that you have not spent more than 60 days outside Mexico in the 24 months preceding your citizenship application. Fairly easy if you had an RP for those two years, but I understand that the records might not be correctly transferred over when converting from RT to RP, as you (and we) are planning to do? So you might not be able to apply for citizenship for six years, instead of five (4 years as RT and 2 years as RP).

We intentionally went the RT route, thinking that we might want to do a menaje de casa and bring some things down by car. That’s appearing less and less likely, and hopefully we will able to share your sentiment of getting an RP initially being the only thing we wished we’d done differently!

42. Erika Ewer | June 21, 2019 at 9:25 am |

Paul! I am in the process of renewing my 1 year residency to the 2-4 year card. I applied in February, over 4 months later, and hitting 5 months in July when I am going back to the States, I reached out to Adriana. She shared with me things are so backed up at INM that even if they approved me tomorrow, it’s a month before I can go in for fingerprinting and the photo, from which time she says they are taking 1-2 months to deliver the card. My parents went the permanent route when we all moved to Puerto Morelos and I am so jealous! Sadly as someone still working (remotely) I wasn’t eligible. 2018 took 4 months for temporary, I am thinking it might be 7 – 10 this year. You are so right, If you can go permanent, do it!!!

• I hope you get your card soon! We start our process to change to permanent next month. We don’t expect to get our cards until the end of the year.

43. I sometimes worry that the political climate might change things regarding Mexico being so friendly towards expats.. I’d say to get the perm done asap, as who knows when they might pull the plug on it being a fairly easy process (As compared to what it takes a foreigner to do the same in the US.). My only issue is that the nearest Mex consulate is four hours away from me.

44. Mike Osborne | June 21, 2019 at 10:22 am |

I obtained a PR card recently and intend on applying for citizenship when the time comes…..I’m wondering if there is an “in-country” time dynamic for applying or just holding a PR card after 5 years? Thanks for all the info you have provided!

45. Elizabeth Ann Hanson | June 21, 2019 at 10:52 am |

Thinking about moving to Mexico, but worry “What if I change my mind!” Can one revert back to Temporary Residence? I am assuming you are NOT giving up your US Citizenship, it is just residence status – is that correct?

• Correct, this is just residency and doesn’t affect our U.S. citizenship. Even if you get a Permanent Resident Card, you can leave as much as you like and even divide your time between multiple countries.

46. Roberto Rivera Colón | June 21, 2019 at 1:31 pm |

Could you please advise me on obtaining Mexican citizenship? I am a citizen of the U.S., and I do not intend to buy any property, so I fail to see the benefits of dual citizenship. I am a Permanent Resident. Are there any other benefits that I am unaware of?

47. After 7 years in Mexico we converted to Permanente last month. The Zihuatanejo INM office was a pleasure. Three short visits – got the cards on the third. We complimented the people and they said simply “it’s our job”. Ahhhh Mexico and Zihua in particular.

48. Thanks for this article. I have an appointment at the New Orleans Mexican Consulate on Jul 3rd for re-applying of my residency. I had a temporary but it expired. So while my Mexican National wife is here in the USA I figured I could reapply……after reading your article I am going for Permanent residency……wish me luck

49. Thanks for the great, informative explanation about temporary and permanent residency.
    I, too, thought that applicants needed a temporary residency permit first, and only then, after four years, could apply for the permanent permit. That’s what quite a few Mexican Consulate sites had led me to believe, as well as other websites.
    Strange.
    I haven’t applied for either, yet, but will be sure to ask about the permanent option first.
    Thanks again,
    Rob Baxter
    Toronto, Canada

50. Thanks Paul

51. We went with the RT because we are not ready to give up our 10+ year old car. It is equipped to be towed behind our motorhome and we are not done RVing the US (and some of Mexico and a lot of Canada). So, we intend to renew our RT for another three years when our current one nears expiration. We figure that after another three years we’ll be ready to give up the RV (and the car), get our RP and buy a new car down here in San Miguel de Allende!