Two Expats Mexico Checking in from Self-Isolation

Since this whole pandemic thing started, we really haven’t posted much on our blog or public Facebook page. Our online absence has prompted several of our followers to reach out to us recently to see how we’re doing.

In case you were wondering the same — and even if you weren’t but you’re bored and looking to kill some time — I decided to do a quick post to update folks on our status.

Linda and I are healthy and doing fine (I write with one gloved hand while knocking on a recently sanitized wooden table with the other).

We’re currently in the Great State of Florida. We were here visiting Linda’s mother when life as we all knew it drastically changed and most of North America went on lockdown.

Although we never planned to be in the States this long, we’re glad that we were here to help Linda’s elderly mother through this difficult time and to keep her safe. If things work out, we hope to be back in Mexico sometime in the beginning of May.

Until then, we plan to do what most folks are doing these days — just hanging around the house while trying to resist eating and drinking too much until the world returns to some semblance of normalcy. That’s when we plan to resume posting new blog articles.

For those folks who have questions about moving to Mexico that can’t wait until then, you can always join our Patreon page and we’ll answer them now.

Take care, everyone. Stay safe, healthy and away from one another.

Hasta luego.

Become a Patreon member to get access to our live Q&A sessions as well as our private Facebook group where you can ask us questions. For more information, click HERE.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. They later started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) to share their experiences as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border.

36 Comments on "Two Expats Mexico Checking in from Self-Isolation"

1. Based on what we are hearing from Baja, you may be safer where you are for now. Lots of folks who figured they’d just ride this all out in places like Cabo have recently discovered they are no longer welcome there, and even had trouble getting through at least one town on the way back to the States.

2. Kristi Snider | April 14, 2020 at 11:13 am |

Good to know you both are safe!

3. Glad to hear you all are safe. I was wondering. Best wishes.

4. We also are stuck in the states. We live full time in Loreto and we had to come up and help our mom move into assist living and get her house ready for sell. We tried to go back to Loreto last week and the BCS border is closed to all but truckers now. We were turned around. We are back in the US until all blows over. Thanks for your update!!

• Gin Dmitroff | April 16, 2020 at 12:44 pm |

Please keep us upated for when they start to allow us to cross the border again! Need to get to jalisco!

5. Thanks for the update you guys! We are hunkered down at our place in Puerto Morelos. It’s unbelievably quiet here, everything is closed. Our residency cards are finally ready. We plan to pick them up in Playa del Carmen tomorrow. Hopefully the police will let us through. After all this waiting, we’re pretty darn excited!

6. Thanks, and stay safe.

7. Janet Parrish | April 14, 2020 at 11:21 am |

Good to hear you and your loved ones are safe and healthy! Stay that way, haha ❤.

8. I bailed to Canada where I still have medicare. I was wary about the level of medical care I might receive if this really went out of hand in Mexico. I am not on IMSS, but I do have skymed, but with air travel restricted, that may not help. It is a lot harder to avoid crowds in Mexico than in Canada. I will return to Mexico when there is a vaccine or this dies down enough that I feel confident enough. My wife was on chemo not that long ago and I am 71. I suspect a vaccine will come a lot sooner than later

9. Timme and Jill Helzer | April 14, 2020 at 11:29 am |

Glad you guys are well, as is Linda’s Mom. We’re safe and sound in Loreto Bay that is very isolated and shut down. Latest statistics from the Mexican government show BCS to have one of the country’s very lowest case and death rates in this pandemic; we’re glad we’re here. Timme and Jill Helzer

10. Glad to hear about you both! Enjoy your ‘holidays’! Hugs!

11. We were at our place in Cancun when the US Government issued the warning to come home ASAP. We thought about staying put in Cancun since it seemed Mexico was safer (less cases). However, our daughter (who lives with us back in Cleveland) is in her last month of pharmacy school and she works at Costco pharmacy. We knew she would have to work and we feared she might get the virus due to all the ‘traffic’ at Costco, and felt that if she did get it, we would be best needed back in the USA. So, here we are, back in Ohio which has done an AMAZING job of keeping us safe and informed. So far, no one we know has been stricken. We’re due back in Cancun at the end of May, but not very hopeful right now. Time will tell. Stay safe everyone!

12. Fran aka Ethel Merts | April 14, 2020 at 11:45 am |

Hello Paul, I wondered if you were able to get back to Mexico, but now I know. I do hope Linda’s Mom is okay. It is nice you are there for her during this ‘pandemic’ we are experiencing. Bob was in NJ the end of January to see to his Mom and returned in mid-February. I didn’t go and it is probably good I didn’t because from what I hear, the COVID-19 was going around then and I certainly couldn’t take a chance with my auto-immune issues. I actually haven’t been away from home since March 15th and it is getting ‘old.’ Thank goodness we have a pool so I can get some exercise in and we had a good supply of wine! Please take care and safe travels back home. Fran

• Korbey Hunt | April 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm |

I am on a motor yacht at Puerto Escondido, 20 minutes south of Loreto. Loreto just published a notice advising they did not want outsiders to stop in Loreto. Folks driving highway 1 should keep going without stopping. They are stationing police at Both ends of town to enforce this. Our marina manager is issuing letters to all boaters who have been here over 30 days advising others we are “residents” and allow us access to town.

13. Shirley Ward | April 14, 2020 at 11:50 am |

Stay safe and upbeat!

14. Why not a blog about your current location. Remember that statics in MX are a rarely accurate. Stay in.Stay safe

15. We elected to stay in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. Steps are taken to limit people entering the town, and we are comfortable here. I feel traveling is more dangerous than staying put. The weather is great compared to our other home in the Colorado mountains. Food is plentiful and neighbors are helping neighbors. Food drive on to help those here unable to work because of government restrictions. Joint effort by Rotary, Community Church, Rescate, Castaway Kids and other groups and individuals like Mark Mulligan.

• Tracey Dorman | April 14, 2020 at 3:05 pm |

Hola Earl….we decided to stay put in San Carlos MEX too. Very impressed with how the town has shut down, successfully kept people away over Holy Week and continue to do so. Drove from Ontario Canada for our winter getaway and not interested in driving 5-6 days across the USA to go back anytime soon. No shortage of necessities here. Feeling very safe and love the community spirit. Stay safe and healthy

16. Millie Swick | April 14, 2020 at 12:16 pm |

Glad to hear that both of you are doing well! I’m still here in Playa & hopeful I’ll return back to Pa. in June so I can start my permanent residency and not worry about the 180day return. Take care! God bless to everyone!

17. Jan and I decided not to travel back to the states when everything was going south. We are still here in the TAO and feel safer here than some of the places we would have headed back to. We hope you stay safe and look forward to your return.

18. I live in Cabo San Lucas and contrary to the Man In The Middle experience, feel very welcome here. Right now feeling very safe and feeling pretty unexposed to CV-19 as the locals are super vigilant about distancing and everyone wears a mask. There were 42 reported cases here, but they were all medical personnel working in the same hospital and were immediately quarantined. I think staying in Cabo is safer than being in the US at this time. At least I can go to the Farmacia and get Chloroquine!

• Mark Raymond | April 14, 2020 at 1:45 pm |

Don’t medicate yourself based on the misguided statements of a man who thought it was fine to stare directly into an eclipse.

19. victoria kellman | April 14, 2020 at 1:13 pm |

thanks for the update…happy that you are well

20. Terry Hawks | April 14, 2020 at 1:20 pm |

It’s good to read that everyone is safe whether in Mx or USA. We live in the Black Hills of South Dakota and are safe here. I work at a car dealership and we are an essential business so I have some nervous days.
    I am 68. And my husband is 71. He retired, but financially I can’t afford to retire if we continue to live here. My question is how do you finally make the decision to move to Mx?? Saying goodbye to family. I might add that our daughters and family all live within 11 miles or less of us. We love Mexico….Riveria Maya area and lately have been making two vacations a year to Cancun or Playa del Carmen.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am feeling a little low today since it is April 14, with 28*F and 2-3 inches of snow on the yard.
    Stay safe everyone!

• Sandy Kruse | April 14, 2020 at 8:26 pm |

Hi Terry, we are also from thre Black Hills, Hill City. We live in Sayulita, Nayarit 6 months, HC 6 months. We are permanent Mexican residents. We have been coming here for 20 years, bought a home,…we elected not to goi back to the Black Hills for the exact reasons you mentioned on 3/19 when we were advised to return. Cold, snowy weather, and 5 day drive back home. We were at the end of a construction project, and we weren’t ready to pack up to leave. My husband is 70, I am 67 , we are retried , so no reason to head back earlier. Maybe we can get together sometime back in SD and tell you how we came to love this area and it’s people. For now, we have our home, our friends, no cases of the virus, and people here seem to be taking this very seriously. The beaches are closed, and have been for 2 weeks. No one is allowed into our town unless you live here. We are trying to keep everyone safe.

• Hi neighbor! Thanks for the reply. Snow here again on Sunday . Oh I would love to communicate or see you in person to pick your brain. Last night I searched for long term rentals in Playa. We have reservations for vacation to Cancun and Playa in October. I hope we will be able to travel by then. I am on FB. Terry Nelson Hawks. Stay well

21. Paula Nunes | April 14, 2020 at 1:55 pm |

Good to hear from you. I miss your blogs. Hunkered down in San Miguel de Allende. Folks took this seriously to the point that this tourist town is deserted. No restaurants except for takeout and delivery. No hotels, no fiestas, nada. The numerous ngo organizations have banded together to help people who need it. Mostly the Mexican folks who can’t work. Everyone I know is paying their staff to stay home. So far so good…… I am happy to be here. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

22. Thanks for update. Glad you are both well.

23. Trying to resist eating and drinking too much? So far, I’ve been unsuccessful at both of those! Stay healthy!

24. I hope you’re right Paul, but the beginning of May seems optimistic. I hear that MX is likely behind the wave for CDA and the U.S. by 2-3 weeks so it could still be some time before that border opens back up. Then there is the “shadow wave” that will happen another 6 months after peak. We had plans to start our retirement in MX soon and have a place booked for July 1. I haven’t cancelled anything as yet, but I’m not fooling myself either – we probably won’t make that date (perhaps if I were a P.R. it might be different there). Still, hopeful like we all are that the projections are inaccurate. Take care.

25. FredinMotul | April 14, 2020 at 6:30 pm |

Hubby and I stayed here in Motul and are very happy with the decision. Our neighbors let us know when they are going to the store and take my list and shop for us locally. We have had to make 2 trips to Merida for some things just not available here. and we went today and while there are no shortages, today it seemed like the Police were everywhere waiting for trouble to occur. In fact, a local man came up to the Wal Mart Super Center and was displeased with having to wait in line with the rest of us, He wanted in Right Now. Security appeared from no where and he was removed and put in a police car immediately. Lesson Learned. We were all quiet as mice.

Enjoy your Florida Adventure and trust you and Linda’s Mom remain well.

26. David Van Amburg | April 14, 2020 at 7:09 pm |

Glad you are safe. Hopefully you’ll have something left when you get back to Mexico. We cancelled our Puerto Vallarta trip in May because we we just not sure how things are there. We only go for 3 weeks and don’t want to chance being on lock down 14 days there and 14 days at home. Stay safe. Now would be the time to be buying good in Mexico because of the Pesos rate.

27. Glenn Sekse | April 14, 2020 at 7:48 pm |

This “not drinking too much” idea… How are you doing it? I have been a total failure at this.

28. Ronna Vaughn Johnson | April 14, 2020 at 7:55 pm |

Glad to hear you are both are well. It truly is a blessing you are there to help Linda’s mom. Those mask are stylish by the way! As a nurse I am looking forward to some down time since my yearly trip to Cozumel (this would of been my 20th year) in May had to be put on hold but I will be there as soon as I can which will most likely be October. Again glad you are both doing well.

29. Carrol Wiley | April 15, 2020 at 8:41 am |

Glad you and Linda are safe! Looking forward to seeing your blogs again. Take care