Trying to Satisfy That Mexico “Itch” with Music and Margaritas

Hey, everyone! Just checking in from our new reality of self-isolation, social distancing and wearing masks in public.

So much has changed, so quickly. It seems like only yesterday that Linda and I were laughing with friends down at our favorite beach bar located near our home in Akumal, Mexico. Now that bar, like many other businesses in Mexico, is closed and will likely remain so until June 1st.

Last night, I found myself feeling particularly nostalgic for the good old days, so I started playing different songs that remind me of Mexico. What started as a pity party, turned into a real party when Linda and a bottle of Tequila joined in.

It wasn’t long until we were laughing, dancing and singing along to the tunes. I’m referring to Linda and me, not the Tequila. It’s a bad sign if Tequila joins you for a duet.

Anyway, we had a great time.

If anyone reading this is thinking of doing something similar to take a break from the monotony, here are a few songs from our list to get you started. That last one is in Spanish but it was filmed in the Riviera Maya.

If you have any song suggestions for us, feel free to leave them in the comments section.

Stay safe and healthy!

Drunk on a Plane (Dierks Bentley)

Moon Over Mexico (Luke Combs)

Somewhere on a Beach (Dierks Bentley)

Seashores of Old Mexico

Mexico (Jimmy Buffet)

Si Te Acuerdas de Mi (Fonseca)

Become a Patreon member to get access to our live Q&A sessions as well as our private Facebook group where you can ask us questions. For more information, click HERE.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. They later started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) to share their experiences as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border.

55 Comments on "Trying to Satisfy That Mexico “Itch” with Music and Margaritas"

1. The Drunken Tourist | April 17, 2020 at 2:13 pm |

Paul you’re missing a biggie – “One Margarita” by Luke Bryan!

2. David Lawson | April 17, 2020 at 2:17 pm |

I’ve gotten back into makin cheap wine, from fruit juice. CS Brews and Man Made mead on youtube have easy to follow instructions. Search for apple juice wine or grapejuice wine. Helps to keep one occupied and get one drunk.

3. I just relocated here in Playa about one month ago? I think I’m in a sedated sense of consciousness!! I’ve been informed to hang in there!!

4. Jorge Cajiga | April 17, 2020 at 2:19 pm |

5. That’s Why God Made Mexico by Tim McGraw.

6. Toby Keith – Stays in Mexico

7. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    I just arrived back in California and I miss my Mexico SO much
    Sally Moon

• Eddy Raven….I Got Mexico
      This is an oldie but a goodie!! High school days.
      Thanks Paul! We’re here in Cabo and all is shut down. But at least we have plenty of everything. Even Toilet Paper!!!! Safe Travels when you return Home Amiga and Amigo
      Teebird2006

8. Chuck McKinney | April 17, 2020 at 2:40 pm |

Codigo by George Strait
    I live in Jalisco and really like this song.

9. Lisa DeGregory Wynn | April 17, 2020 at 2:42 pm |

Thanks for sharing. I have a playlist on my IPod of my favorite “beachy” songs and my running songs!

10. How about “Beer in Mexico” by Kenny Chesney? Or if you’re in a rock mood maybe Mas Tequila by Sammy Hagar.

11. We love pretty much every song by Morat! Think Spanish version of Mumford & Sons. Also Despacito by Luis Fonsi is an all time favorite!

12. That is so funny!!!
    We actually live on Cozumel full-time but still missing our friends and the beach!!
    So, yesterday, I said to YouTube, “play country island music!”
    There’s a ton!!
    On repeat today!!
    Hope you get home soon!
    losalcatracescozumel.com
    By the way, love your Spanish videos!!

13. Victor H. Hernandez | April 17, 2020 at 3:05 pm |

Thanks for sharing the playlist!
    We do that all weekends

14. Walter Clark | April 17, 2020 at 3:11 pm |

Riding My Thumb To México by Johnny Rodriguez
    And
    I Got Mexico by Eddie Raven

15. Doc Craig (formerly of Valladolid & Puerto Morelos). Now stuck in icy cold NW Iowa. | April 17, 2020 at 3:14 pm |

A song for Akumal, Puerto Morelos, Tulum & all the other small beach towns of the Yucatan peninsula … Jimmy Buffett’s “One Particular Harbor”! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-BnsM9Hh4Q

16. Toby Keith, Cabo San Lucas. My favourite

17. We’re hunkered down with other PanAmerican highway travelers in Oaxaca Mexico. Trips have been put on hold, whether we were going south or north. Rigs have been stored, some foreigners have flown home. But we’re sticking it out here for the long run. Thankfully we have fast internet so we can continue our Spanish studies (thanks Paul!). And of course we have music to keep us company and keep our spirits up. Here’s my contibution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUsTYkzcDZ4

18. Thank you for the tunes. Hope all is well (no hangover) … so … question … how do you make a margarita? (Mexican style, while I waste away near Tequilaville) Salud!

• Here are two recipes I acquired directly from Mexican bartenders.

From a hotel bar in Puerto Peñasco in 1993: mix equal parts of tequila, Controy (aka Cointreau in the USA), and freshly squeezed lime juice, poured into a glass, mixed with ice cubes, and garnished with a wedge of lime.

From La Leña Restaurant in Tijuana in 2000: mix equal parts of tequila, Controy, freshly squeezed lime juice, water, and Jarabe Natural, poured into a glass, mixed with ice cubes, and garnished with a wedge of lime. (I don’t use the water.)

Note that neither of these recipes involves the use of electricity. This knowledge will serve you well when the blender breaks or you find yourself in a remote place, whether on land or sea.

Suggestion: don’t waste your time with those awful Margarita glasses found in most bars. They don’t hold enough and they are unstable. Put it in a highball glass that’s easy to control. Eventually you’ll probably appreciate this bit of hard earned wisdom.

If Controy gives you a headache as it does me, substitute plain old triple sec.

My preferred tequila for use in mixed drinks is Jose Cuervo Especial.

Jarabe Natural, is a bottled Mexican version of simple syrup which can be found in the liquor department of most Mexican supermarkets. I have been unable to find it in SoCal, AZ, NM, and TX after a decade of searching, though I keep trying.

The latter recipe has evolved over the years into something of which I can drink several in an evening without getting hammered. Experimenting can be fun!

Warning: years of tequila consumption have taught me that one can develop a tolerance for the stuff that can be dangerous. Imbibe with caution.

Via con Dios,
      Don Neilson
      San Diego, CA

19. Samme Ladckie | April 17, 2020 at 3:43 pm |

Hi, planning on moving to San Jose del Cabo in a few month, live in San Diego CA..own an Irish pub, can a US citizen open a bar without serving food in Cabo?. Cheers!

20. FredinMotul | April 17, 2020 at 3:53 pm |

Wow! What great songs. That Tim McGraw is astounding! The first time I lived in Mexico, in the late 80’s to early 90’s, I had the time of my life and swore I would retire here. Cut to 2008 after a new career, raising my son, and growing two businesses, I / We did it and have never looked back. Here until the end. Trust you will be back soon Paul and Linda. We await you.

21. WHERE IS THE MARGARITA RECIPE. THAT’S WHY I READ THE ARTICLE TO GET THE RECIPE. We have a condo in gated community Las Ventanas on Cozumel. We met once in a restaurant in town Sol de Mar or Mar de Sol or something like that. Steve

22. Thanks for a great playlist! I knew the artists. I did not know the songs, except “Mexico” by Jimmy Buffet!

23. Cassandra Garcia | April 17, 2020 at 4:27 pm |

Nunca es Suficiente by Natalia Lafourcade.

24. Always enjoy your article
    I can’t say I am too fond of “Getting Drunk on a Plane. It sends a juvenile message of the annoying tourist landing in Mexico…beautiful country and people…especially without certain tourists!

25. Add: Tequila by Dan + Shay, Beer in Mexico by Kenny Chesney, and aquellos ojos verdes by Mapache❤️

• I’m just a 80’s band girl..my favorite tune to play before vacation..Sammy Hagar..
      Mas Tequila!

26. Verónica McCord | April 17, 2020 at 5:37 pm |

Luis Fonsi “Despacito”

27. David Twitchell | April 17, 2020 at 5:51 pm |

Senorita by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello, and Tequila by Dan + Shay.

28. David Edgar | April 17, 2020 at 6:33 pm |

Ian Tyson :”Blue Mountains of Mexico” It’s on the “Tribute to Ian Tyson ” album.

29. Pam Jaramillo | April 17, 2020 at 7:42 pm |

great playlist!!!! Durango is calling and I cant wait to get there…..You and Linda be safe!!

30. No shoes no shirt no problems & beer in Mexico/ Kenny Chesney ( a genius btw ). Toes / Zac Brown Band.

31. J.R. Greisen | April 17, 2020 at 8:02 pm |

Enjoyed the music mucho. Lived in Cancun for 7 years, Cabo 6 years. I’m 80 now. I shall return. I miss everything about Mexico.

32. Dorothy Scott Bond | April 17, 2020 at 8:35 pm |

Was scheduled to leave for Akumal tomorrow, so this really helped to ease the pain. Thanks! Enjoyed your choice of music! Hope we can make it in July.

33. tom hamilton | April 18, 2020 at 6:21 am |

Hi Paul check out Easton Corbin Alot about living great song about going to cabo on vacation and ending up staying there. Stay Safe hope you back to mx soon. Tom Hamilton Ohio

34. Thank you Roo Paul, this saved my day. Tomas

35. I don’t know whether to thank you or not… Loved the music and nostalgia, but it was like dangling a steak over a dogs head and not letting him have it… LOL!!

36. My husband and I did the same thing here in a Todos Santos. The only difference was we drank mescal margaritas, the best!

37. I also miss everything about Mexico! Gracias for sharing your play list! I enjoyed it.

38. Thank you Paul and Linda, I really enjoyed all the music and such a nice reminder that past my door these is still all of beautiful Mexico and its beaches that we will return to when on the other side of this shut down.

39. Joanne Cowan | April 18, 2020 at 2:55 pm |

Love it. Have fun at home!!

40. Maria Cavendish | April 18, 2020 at 4:04 pm |

Ha! That was different. And fun!

41. Karen Street | April 18, 2020 at 11:47 pm |

Gonna add these great songs to a playlist. There Great!

42. Paul Covert | April 20, 2020 at 9:02 am |

Haven’t seen that one, so I’ll add it…. Zac Brown w/Jimmy Buffet “Knee Deep”

43. Richard Scott | April 21, 2020 at 5:43 am |

Thanks Paul and Linda. Here’s one of my fav’s. “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere” Alan Jackson & Señor Buffet.

44. Loved the music – so fun!!

45. The Life by Kenny Chesney watch the video, its classic mexico