Our Recent Trip to El Dorado Maroma

Beginning on June 8th, Cancun and the Riviera Maya began slowly reopening to tourism — very slowly. In fact, the majority of the hotels, restaurants and attractions are still closed; however, most have announced plans to reopen in the coming weeks or months.

In the meantime, Linda and I are doing what we can to help the local economy by visiting businesses as they reopen and sharing pics and information with our readers.

Our most recent trip was to El Dorado Maroma, an all-inclusive resort located north of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We went with a couple of our friends who live in the same complex we do.

Being a bit geographically-challenged myself, I like to include interactive maps in our posts. Here’s one showing where the resort is located:

Linda and I are big fans of the El Dorado Resorts, but prior to this trip, we hadn’t been to this particular one in about two years. We ended up booking this one because the ones that we typically go to haven’t reopened yet.

Sanitation and Health Protocols

Since it doesn’t appear that COVID-19 is going away anytime soon, some of our readers may be wondering what types of protocols the resort has implemented to help keep them safe, so I’ll start there.

When we arrived, we were given a health questionnaire to fill out and they took our temperatures. We were given hand sanitizer and encouraged to practice social distancing while on the property. That was pretty easy to do because the hotel was only at 30% occupancy.

Photo: Jane Rodriguez Hasty

At restaurants, guests were spread out and they were given a QR code to scan with their cellphone in order to download the menu.

The hotel staff wore masks at all times but the use of masks was not mandatory for guests. Even so, many guests wore masks when walking around the property but not when eating, drinking or lounging by the pool or on the beach.

The hotel staff was constantly cleaning and sanitizing everything and we all felt very comfortable with their protocols.

Getting There

Since we live in the area, we drove to the resort. It’s located about 45 minutes north of where we live. I know that answer won’t be of much use to you folks who want to know if it’s possible to fly here — it is.

The Cancun Airport is the closest international airport and there are both domestic and international flights arriving daily. Here’s a link to their website in case you’re curious where those flights are coming from: https://www.cancunairport.com/arrivals.html

The Resort Itself

This property is older than many other resorts but very well maintained. There were plenty of hammocks, lounge chairs and daybeds to go around.

The beach area is particularly nice with soft sand and no rocky patches to hinder your entry and exit from the water.

You might have noticed that the sky looks a little hazy. Apparently, that was caused by the dust cloud from the Sahara Desert.

Our room was located on the second floor and came complete with a jacuzzi inside and a plunge pool outside.

In some of the beach photos in the last section, you may have noticed the bungalows over the water. Those are called Palafitos, and according to El Dorado’s website, they are the first and only over-water bungalows in Mexico

Food Quality and Variety

If food and drink quality is important to you, you really can’t go wrong staying at any of the El Dorado resorts. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we tried. We were particularly impressed by the food at the Italian restaurant. My favorite dish was the Porcini mushroom ravioli with duck in a raspberry sauce.

This particular resort had multiple themed restaurants (Italian, Asian, Peruvian and Mexican), but due to low occupancy, they weren’t all open every night.

The Staff

I can’t say enough good things about the staff at the hotel. Everyone went out of their way to make sure that we had a had a great time. They did a fantastic job!

We’ve only been home from the resort for a couple of days. That’s just enough time to wash clothes and pack for our next mini-vacation that begins tomorrow. We’re making up for those months we were cooped up inside.

If you’d like to see more videos and pictures from this part of Mexico, be sure to follow our blog, Facebook page and YouTube channel.

Well, that’s it for today! Hasta luego.

Become a Patreon member to get access to our live Q&A sessions as well as our private Facebook group where you can ask us questions. For more information, click HERE.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. They later started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) to share their experiences as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border.

48 Comments on "Our Recent Trip to El Dorado Maroma"

1. Susan E Mccrary | June 28, 2020 at 12:16 pm | Reply

I really enjoy your posts!

2. Bryon R MacDonald | June 28, 2020 at 12:17 pm | Reply

If you do not talk first about wearing masks and social distancing and washing hands many times a day first you should not be talking reopening at all, Mexico CANNOT handle ICU needs the way USA can. We all know this.

• They are doing those things and the reopening has been very gradual and slow. As you can see from the pics, social distancing at resorts is not difficult to do. We see more people at grocery stores.

3. Thanks for the trip! Not out and about myself yet! Needed this!❤️

4. Renata Tavares Wong | June 28, 2020 at 12:36 pm | Reply

Great post and info. MX is doing a great job with the protocol BETTER than any city in USA. We visited Rocky Point, Puerto Penasco and I was happy to be there and help then financially . They are great people that work hard, great culture and beautiful places that they share with us.

5. Freyja Kendrick | June 28, 2020 at 12:38 pm | Reply

Thank you for keeping us posted on the area. In Chicago, we are slowly reopening as well. We went to our first neighborhood bar to listen to live music.
    They presold tickets to limit the number of people, staff wore masks, the place was spotless, patrons wore masks to and from the restrooms and all were grateful to be out. At some point, things have to return to normal. Balance will be key for safety and comfort.

Salad!
    Freyja and Dan

6. thanks for sharing..looks like a lovely resort!

7. My favorite resort. Thanks for the update, and for supporting these fine folks!

• We’re trying to do what we can to support them 🙂

• I’m not at all a fan of all inclusive resorts (much prefer small boutique properties) but I’m a huge fan of yours and I greatly appreciate the updates and you supporting the businesses of Q. Roo as they slowly begin to re-open. Cheers!

8. Love your blog. I learn something new with each one. Really good stuff.

9. Thank you for the much appreciated update on Mayan Riviera.It appears Mexico is handling the virus much better than the USA.

• You are very welcome! We have been very pleased with the measures they are taking…I think they are really doing their best to reassure travelers 🙂

10. We appreciate your sacrifice in having to go to all these places to keep us informed….ha…ha…..I’m kidding, of course! I thoroughly enjoy all your posts. Like many others…I am sure….I feel like I already know you guys! We look forward to visiting one of these resorts someday, hopefully soon and the opportunity to meet you. But in the meantime, keep the posts coming! At least during this pandemic we can live vicariously through your resort experiences. Do you and Linda pinch yourself sometimes thinking ” this is really our lives! How fortunate to have taken the risk of moving to this area!” Keep enjoying life and continue to stay healthy. Cheers from one of your fans and followers, Doris from Ocala, Fl

• Lol 😉 We do feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to enjoy our retirement living out these experiences and being able to share them with you guys!

11. Thanks for blog update. Personally, I’m about to go crazy with no real travel plans right now. Even though I flew back to the US for a doctor appointment, it wasn’t the same and those people were acting crazy and using no masks. So, I’m back in Mexico City and just waiting to go somewhere. And unfortunately Europe has only given permission to 15 countries to be allowed to enter the scheghan zone when they open July 1st and the US and Mexico is not on the list, however, Canada is. So I’ll most likely take a cruise around the coastline if South America since I’m not worthy to go anywhere near Europe:(

• Trust me…Linda has had a very difficult time with not being able to book any travel until these recent small getaways. She always likes to have something booked. Who knows when they will let us travel to Europe again, best of luck!

12. Shelly Miller | June 28, 2020 at 2:34 pm | Reply

Thank you for the updates, we own a condo in San Jose Del Cabo, decided to go June 4-20 and as with your area, most everything “non-essential” was still closed but slowly started opening on June 15. Our complex is privately owned property so we had private use of our beachfront and grounds. We reside in Texas and Cabo was definitely doing a much better job of practicing containment. Plus it was a needed break from our current climate of upheaval. Going back early July and plan to stay for 6 weeks. Resorts seem to be opening with a similar timeframe to Q-roo area. Thought some of your readers would appreciate news from another area. As always enjoy your blog and info!

13. Sheila Sullivan | June 28, 2020 at 3:34 pm | Reply

Hi. Thanks so much, Linda and Paul, for the wonderful posts and photos you give us.
    They are greatly appreciated, especially in these uncertain times.
    I can’t help but notice that every post generates one or two rude, ignorant, uninformed replies to you and you are doing such a great service to everybody that it bothers me that people continually are negative. Their lives must be horrible if they feel they have to be rude to somebody they don’t know…Somebody who’s just trying to help people. I apologize to you on their behalf.
    I also spent my adult life working in Law Enforcement. I feel so sad for our brothers and sisters in blue at this time.
    My best regards to you and your wonderful wife.
    Sheila Sullivan

14. Nana de Souza | June 28, 2020 at 3:58 pm | Reply

Nothing comes free unless you steal it or have a rich daddy!!! Kidding! You and your wife worked hard to get where you are, you deserve it. I am in Puerto Morelos and I would like to help the economy…did you book directly on their website…or booking.com?

15. Thank you so much for the detailed update. Since I will be moving to the Tulum area before the end of the year this is all great information for me even though I will not stay at an all inclusive usually. But I think it’s always great to support local economies. And for those who have fear about being in Mexico and the medical issues regarding that, as long as you’re a healthy human being, the likelihood of anything happenIng to you is so small it really is not going to be a major issue being in Playa. Lack of sun, living in fear and not being with community is a greater risk! And I know that the Mexican people are all about taking care of their communities and they have great big hearts. I have no fear of being here corona or not.

16. So we have called a number of places hoping for some time away discounted as FT senior residents in low season. No offers. How do you get offers? Is it because you write a blog?

• We contact the resorts directly and ask about discounts for residents of Quintana Roo. El Dorado hotels will offer a substantial discount (around 50%) for certain resorts if they are not booked at 80% occupancy at the time you write them. Also, with your local DL you can get substantial discounts at Xcaret, Xel Ha etc.

17. still lock down in merida got my second delivery of beer in 3 months great news for you guys in quantanroo merida mike p s maybe i will jion your email for a couple of bucks next month

18. Thanks for your blog, we are definitely going to go there. We’re in Minnesota now, living on our 34′ sailboat on at a great marina on a beautiful lake! Still that being said, we are missing Mexico!

19. I really think you have the best website on Mexico . We have followed it for 5 years . We have lived here in Manzanillo since 1997 for at least 7 months a year . Mexico is one of the best bargins and we have traveled all over the world . In traveling Mexico and visiting hotel locations we find there is quite a difference in cost and it would be interesting to get your feedback on this item

20. Glenn and I are big fans of the ElDorada chain, as well. We were married at ElDorada Seaside in 2009. Glad to hear that they are keeping up with the rules and regs.

We would be very interested in hearing how the situation progresses over the next 6 months re: will the diligence and adherence to rules continue as, perhaps, the numbers of people heading down increases?

We stay in condos now, and are booked for one month in Feb (health conditions and safety measures considered) and we sure hope to see our beloved Tulum again for the 16th consecutive year.

Love your posts! Stay healthy!

Tracy and Glenn, Ottawa, Canada

21. Thank you for for serving your country and now you get to enjoy the rest of your lives!

22. Charles Doucet | June 29, 2020 at 9:36 am | Reply

Great post, many thanks!

23. THANK YOU for supporting the Maroma area. My favorite place to vacation. Bless you!

24. Christine Taylor | June 29, 2020 at 11:22 am | Reply

Thanks to you both I am so JEALOUS right now! Praying my planned trip to Cozumel works out very soon.

25. How where the rates during this time?

26. We just returned from 10 days in Riviera Maya. It was really great to be only one of a very few tourists wherever we went. The most risky part of the trip was the flight, but even there, only half the seats were occupied, except for the return flight where more than 3/4 were occupied. All the businesses required that you step into a shallow pan of disinfectant before entering, as well as the other precautions you described. The Chedruie (sp) grocery store only allowed one family member to enter, but we didn’t accept that, as my wife didn’t want to be left alone outside while I was in there for an hour shopping and I needed to be with her as I am the one who speaks and reads Espanol.. They finally relented as long as we took separate carts, so it would appear we were not together.. LOL… Thanks again for lending your knowledge Paul!

27. Scott Patrick Diskin | June 29, 2020 at 10:31 pm | Reply

I have allways wanted to go there maybe next year. I really enjoyed n look foward in hearing from you guys soon be safe NY SCOTTY

28. I would love to know how you went about purchasing a retirement home in Mexico. My husband and I are looking into the Q Roo area as well and have read that in order to own the property someone needs to become a Mexican citizen?

29. How is the seaweed issue?

• It was fine when we went to Unico a couple of weeks ago but there is a lot of sargassum rolling in at the moment.

30. Marien Kaifesh | July 3, 2020 at 9:53 am | Reply

Thanks for the update! Our condo complex in Cancun opened on 1 July and I have guests arriving on 6 July from the USA. I’m hoping all will go well for them (I know it will!) Mexico is taking this virus much more seriously than the USA. The Government is taking an active role which is reassuring. As someone mentioned above, the flight is probably the riskiest part of the trip, and that’s why we won’t be going until September (and because now it is really getting warm!). We have been supporting our condo staff during the shutdown, and are really looking forward to seeing them all again soon! Also looking forward to supporting our favorite restaurants, waiters, groundskeepers, pool attendants, and life guards.