My wife Linda and I have called Akumal, Mexico home for over five years now. During the nighttime hours of October, 28, 2020, Hurricane Zeta hit this area directly as a category one hurricane. We were fortunate that we did not sustain any damage, but not everyone was so lucky.

Our favorite beach bar/restaurant, Lol-Ha, sustained significant damage. A large section of the palapa that covers the north side of the restaurant completely collapsed.

To us, this place is more than just a place where we like to grab a bite or drink a Margarita — this place is like our Cheers and the staff there are more like family.

Our friends, Tim and Jane, feel the same way about this place and that’s why Tim and I headed to Lol-Ha early to do our part to help them get cleaned up and ready to reopen.

Here are a few pics I snapped during the day:

Lol-Ha Reopening on October 29, 2020!

The staff at Lol-Ha worked all day long to make it happen and they did it! The section of the restaurant that was not damaged will reopen tomorrow, October, 29, 2020, in time for breakfast .

Here are the hours:

Breakfast 8:00 a.m. -11:00 a.m.

Regular menu 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Happy hour 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with Lol-Ha, it’s located right on Akumal Bay. You can learn more about it, HERE.

To be honest with you, I haven’t done this much physical labor in many years and I’m sore all over — but it was 100% worth it. Being part of a community means pitching in when someone is in need.

The staff at Lol-Ha did an amazing job and truly came together as a team. Not only did they work all day, but they will be ready to greet clients tomorrow with their usual smiles (through their masks, of course).

If you’re in the area of Akumal, I encourage you to come out and support this business. They’ve had a tough year already and Hurricane Zeta certainly didn’t help matters.

Well, that’s it for today! Hasta Luego.

Become a Patreon member to get access to our live Q&A sessions as well as our private Facebook group where you can ask us questions. For more information, click HERE.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. They later started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) to share their experiences as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border.

44 Comments on "Pitching in to Help a Local Business in Akumal, Mexico Recover from Hurricane Zeta"

1. Looks like it’ll be back in no time!

2. Paul, I’m in Tulum with time and skills to spare. Contact me on how I may be of assistance!

3. With all the sadness and hostility in the world today, this post brightened my day.
    You and Tim and the others in these pictures are the definition of the word: Friends.

• Paul, I saw you in a video posted showing the cleanup. But unfortunately I did not spot your lovely wife in that video. Thanks to both of you for pitching in.

• She has a bad back but she still helped out by visiting different stores and buying up all the work gloves for the workers. She was doing that with Tim’s wife, Jane.

4. Krystie Rose Millich | October 28, 2020 at 7:59 pm | Reply

Way to go, you guys!! Lol-Ha is a great place & just one of so many deserving places in need of help! We will get over there sometime soon!

5. Thanks for sharing. We will be in the area in a couple of weeks. Hope we can get by there! Blessings to you all!

6. It’s been a couple years since we visited, but we are heading down in 3 weeks. Earlier today my wife and I were listing the things we wanted to do and sitting having drinks at Lol-Ha is on the list. Thank goodness we can keep it there!

7. Looks like a lovely spot with lots of heart

8. Scott Blackhurst | October 28, 2020 at 8:06 pm | Reply

Nice article Paul. They are the hardest working people on the planet!! I’ll be down the week of the 8th. Lol – Ha gets my money for sure!

9. Way to go! We did this here on the Baja Peninsula when there was flooding at our friends’ yurts years ago. It feels good to help others. Great job to all and we will be sure to drop by one day.

10. What people won’t do, to get a free margherita . Jokes aside, that’s so awesome that you and others worked together to help somebody in need. I would have done the same. I just added that location to my map for future reference. I’ll be in that general area twice in the next two months.

11. Good on ya!

12. Thank you for helping out. I wish more expats would do that. The community’s do appreciate it.

13. Extra hands are really appreciated in a time of need. Sure they were so glad you could help!

14. Renata Tavares Wong | October 28, 2020 at 8:49 pm | Reply

This was a good deed for sure. Get together helping each other in anyway we can. This is community in whole . Bless to you all

15. Shelley Anderson | October 28, 2020 at 9:03 pm | Reply

That is so fabulous that you and Tim went to help out. Todd and wad and I sure enjoyed our first time visiting/dining @ Lohla’s last week and we will be back again soon! It was so great to meet you and Linda in person:).

16. Good for you Paul. Well worth the effort I’m sure. Wish we were there to help.

17. My husband and Iive Melaque, Jal., at the end of August we suffered terrible flooding from a tropical storm. The locals suffered the most lost everything. The expats and their friends from home, contributed to help our hosts in their time of need. It’s so refreshing to see that people are helping people all over Mexico!

18. As a Mexican/American want to give you las gracias for helping a compatriota.

19. Its great to see you helping out. I just stumbled into your free Spanish lessons. I am a babble drop out now living in Playacar. I learned more useful information in a few minutes than I thought possible. Thank you.
    You would have been a great teacher.
    Looking forward to lesson 3.
    I will bring some toys to Gilleys very soon.
    Big Al from Englewood, Fl

20. Doris Cividanes Carter | October 28, 2020 at 10:32 pm | Reply

Glad to hear you guys are ok and were able to help those that were not as fortunate.

21. Jolly good job chaps!!

22. Thanks God there are still people like you in the world

23. Robert D McQueeney | October 29, 2020 at 4:59 am | Reply

Awesome, just awesome. Reminds me of the Amish, when one of them needs a barn raised, the whole community pitches in!

24. So very nice of you to pitch in. We live in Telchac Puerto and had damage to our palapa too. Thank heaven we have an amazing caretaker and local people to fix it. Mexico is an awesome place!!!!

25. Miss Mexico so much! Things are still rough here in Midwest due to COVID . How are things in your area and Playa Del Carmen at this time due to Covid?

26. Lorne McDougall | October 29, 2020 at 7:15 am | Reply

With the initial pictures I thought, “where would you even begin?” Amazing work and as you said a sense of community.

27. Best of luck!

28. lol ha has become our favorite because of you!!!!

29. Good on you! Well done!

30. thomas hamilton | October 29, 2020 at 10:37 am | Reply

Great story Paul you should hold one of your meet and greet at lol Ha when they get up and going to get them off on a great start after hurricane season. That place is on our bucket list next time we come down were going to make the trip from playa to check it out.. Thanks for story

31. That is a great thing you did for the community Paul. That will definitely be one of our stops when we get there in December! Hope to see you you then!

32. We love Lol Ha! Thank you so much for lending a hand, and your back

33. Nice work! Can’t wait to eat there again when we get back in a couple months..love the views and the food.

34. Lisa Skinner McKinney | October 29, 2020 at 11:23 am | Reply

We stopped there in March while we stayed in Akumal for a few days. I think you were in the states when we were there. It definitely is part of the bay. Job well done. It takes a village!

35. Thank you for helping the people who help contribute to your “happy place!” “Love thy neighbor as thyself!” Good job!

36. WOW! Fantastic, all of you hard workers deserve a huge round of applause. God bless you for helping out your community!

37. Paul, I am actually sitting here crying as I read this and look at these pictures. I think Lol Ha is the first place Jen took me and I fell in love with it and it’s view and everything about it. I saw pics on TWC and knew right away it was LOl Ha and Jen confirmed it. I was praying that it would get fixed back up. Thank yall for all the hard work and making me smile. I cannot wait to get back to Akumal! I have had enough of hurricanes for the rest of my life! Two within six weeks is something no one should go through. And now we fight insurance for what is ours. It looks like we are living in a war zone. But we will survive and life goes on. Can’t wait to see yall again. Not sure when that will be but we will have to have drinks at Lol Ha. Love to you and Linda!

38. John C Fosbaugh | October 29, 2020 at 3:16 pm | Reply

Great Job. We feel the same. I’ve walk our neighborhood after all 3 storms to see if anyone needs help. We feel its important to support our locals, its them who give us our wonderful life.

39. Great work! Enjoy reading your blog. Retired living half year in Guadalajara and half year in Boston with my beautiful Mexican wife. Too bad so many folks in USA are fearful of visiting Mexico. Warm friendly people and as safe as most cities in USA

40. Excellent Post Paul, with excellent Content. Hard to believe we have had 3 storms in the month of October. Then I remember the poor folks in Louisiana with 5! You did good and I know you are sore, but it should make you happy to be sore as you did a very nice thing to get that way. Thanks for the Update.

41. What great people you two are, unfortunately I visit Puerta Vallarta regularly but maybe sometime visit.