Can I Afford to Live in Mexico on Just my Social Security? (Video)

One of my New Year’s resolutions was to leave my comfort zone behind the computer writing articles about Mexico and to step in front of the camera and do videos on similar topics.

In this video, I answer a very common question that we’ve been asked countless times since we started this blog back in 2016:

I hope you enjoyed the video. I have several other ones planned for the near future. Take care and have a great day. Hasta luego.

Become a Patreon member to get access to our live Q&A sessions as well as our private Facebook group where you can ask us questions. For more information, click HERE.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. They later started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) to share their experiences as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border.

30 Comments on "Can I Afford to Live in Mexico on Just my Social Security? (Video)"

1. Man in the Middle | January 20, 2021 at 10:38 am |

FYI, not everyone is video-oriented. Some, like me, still prefer text on paper for info I want to keep, even tho I appreciate your Spanish language lesson videos.

2. Always great content Paul. As a fellow retired LEO expat I appreciate your time and effort in providing all the useful info. Nicely done!

3. Leslie Brodsky | January 20, 2021 at 10:54 am |

i live in PV very comfortably on my SS plus a very little more – please do not come unril you have received vaccine

4. Thank you – this was informative. I am just starting my journey of moving to Mexico.

• What a delightful video! Your lighting was wonderful, your editing is superb , your presentation is concise and so well spoken. I’m not even thinking about moving to Mexico and I really enjoyed it. I’ve made numerous trips and driven the length of Mexico twice so I’m more familiar with Mexico than many here in the US.
      And yes I am also the type that often prefers text to video, especially when I’m sitting in the room with other people who are reading or watching TV or something, but I have to say your video was one of the best ever. Happy 2021 !

5. Hi Paul – Been following your blog since a short time after you started it, and even though I’ve lived in Mazatlan for 16 years you still post things I was not aware of, thank you! A few months ago you had a great article about transferring money to Mexico. It was great, and even though I try to save all your posts I seemed to have misplaced this one. Any chance you could send it to me, or repost. I’m sure there are a lot of others that would benefit from it.
    Thanks so much for all you do. Looking forward to seeing your videos!!

6. Jack Williams | January 20, 2021 at 3:13 pm |

The website Numbeo.com is a good place to compare cost of living in different locales. They also have cost comparisons for countries as a whole. They compare countries and cities on several different criteria, such as air pollution, quality of life, cost of living, cost of rent, and others.

I have only recently started watching your Vlog. So I do not know if you have mentioned Numbeo in the past.

Also, if your readers use Google they can have Trovit.com, the housing sales and rental site, information translated into English. They can do this with any Spanish language site they visit.

The quality of your Vlogs is amazing. Your presentation is both professional and personal. I thoroughly enjoy watching them

7. Hi Paul. Not sure if I’ve asked you this before. But how hard is if for me to become a National? A quick reference. I was born in the U.S. (Edinburg, TX) but both my parents were born in MX. I do NOT have my dad’s birth certificate, but I do have a copy of my mother’s b’certificate. I am currently retired, and do NOT plan to work when I move to Mx. I will have about $88.000 MXN pesos in income every month (my pension and my SS) I do plan to fly to the nearest Kaiser medicl facility about every three months. That is why I would like a place where there is air service to CA or the nearest Kaiser Hosp. It will be only me. No spouse, as my plans are to move to MX once she has departed this earth. (she has AD/Dementia and is expected to live only a few more weeks. (she currently receives hospice care from Kaiser) I am also a TexVet, former LEO, have a BA if that matters. I love your site btw, and see that we have a lot in common. (btw, I speak fluent Spanish plus two other languages)
    Edelmiro Manuel Lopez-Reyna de Cardoza.
    aka Miro or Eddie

• Diana Garcia-Hinojosa | January 21, 2021 at 5:06 am |

My daughter did this thru her Mexican father and I can get you the details. You can email me at dianaigh@yahoo.com for the info. I know the birth cert must be apostilled in the US and later translated in Mexico.

8. Marien Kaifesh | January 20, 2021 at 8:22 pm |

Very good information that confirms a lot of what I have heard. Also, thanks for mentioning those people that have gotten “blocked” from coming into Mexico as “tourists.” Glad to know that is rare. After the pandemic, we plan to visit our condo in Cancun for weeks at a time, but keep our house in Ohio, so still not convinced a Temporary Residency is something we need. Again, thanks for the info.

• If you’re only coming for such short period of time, there’s not much point in getting temporary residency.

9. I love to read your posts in text but recent you added new vlog without subtitle. I am disappointed for your vlogs dont offer subtitles because I am Deaf. Please adding subtitles thru YouTube. Thanks.

• Sorry about that, James. I didn’t even think about subtitles. I’m still quite new at YouTube. I will make it a priority tomorrow to see about getting those added to the existing videos. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

10. I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now. I visit CZM twice a year or so, staying in town to soak up the local community. I didn’t realize you were a retired cop until now – I just read your bio. I retired from the Austin (Tx) PD in ‘14 after 25 years. I’d love to be able to reach out to you on a more personal level. My pension would easily sustain me in CZM and I’d love to relocate there. I have questions that have prevented me from making that move that only prior law enforcement could relate to (safety, not being able to carry, etc). If you don’t mind and have time, I’d love it if you can shoot me an email. It’s listed below in a “required” field.

Stay safe, always!

11. I believed you. Not to worry. I believed that youtube do have generator to make subtitles for your video if it can hear your voice talking. I dont know how it does work because I never tried it myself before. Try to do your best. FYI, Subtitles are not for Deaf people only but also, it does help old people to understand what you talk about something because some of their hearings went south as they grow older. Thanks for your posts in past.

• Yes, I checked. If you click to watch the video on YouTube, you will see a CC button on the bottom. YouTube does generate subtitles although they destroyed my name. 🙂

12. Hello Paul great work and information, I am Luis Mendoza from Oaxaca Mexico and I am here to inform all Expats that you can afford to live in MEXICO on just your Social Security, Oaxaca is one of the best States in Mexico and the world that have it all, it is time for unification and work together, thank you for your work and passion Paul.

El Marchante

13. Hello Paul,

Thank you millions that you did add subtitles / C.C. I am enjoying to watch your new vlogs recently.

You are the best for sharing your excellent information for how move to Mexico and have a good life there.

14. Ken Halvorsen | January 26, 2021 at 3:53 pm |

Hi Paul

We’ve been thinking about retiring in Mexico for awhile now. so am starting to look into it in advance. You mentioned that the perpetual tourist may be blocked if they are working in Mexico. Does that mean “you’re taking away a job from a Mexican”? Or would working from home for my present employer count as well?

One of the benefits coming from this pandemic has been that my company is transitioning to a Work From Home model now instead of going to the office everyday. I was speaking with the Director and he mentioned that it would be possible to work from home, where ever that might be.

Ken

• Hi Ken. I was referring to taking jobs from Mexicans. Working remotely for companies outside of Mexico is not a problem at all.

15. Hello! Your videos are very helpful! We appreciate your efforts! My husband is a police officer here in the US and I am a nurse. We plan to retire and move to Quintana Roo in 3 years (March 2024) when he hits his 25 years. My question is regarding the $1,900 monthly requirement. My husband, our 7 year old son and myself will all be living on my husband’s monthly pension payment as well as a decent amount of savings. Does each person have to meet the $1,900 threshold or are there lower thresholds for dependents after the primary person qualifies at the $1,900 threshold? Thank you!

• Each consulate sets the requirements slightly differently but the general rule with salary is an additional $500 a month per dependent.

16. bruce R ONEILL | March 12, 2021 at 7:24 pm |

Really enjoy your new video format keep it up