Linda’s Candid Thoughts about Mexico (VIDEO)

Linda is always reluctant to appear on camera but she did a great job sharing her thoughts during a video we filmed at breakfast in Akumal, Mexico this morning.

Other Videos That Might Interest You

How to find and print your CURP

Can you afford to live in Mexico on just Social Security?

Why we moved to Mexico

Top 10 Tips to Retire in Mexico

Can foreigners own property in Mexico?

Financing options when buying a property in Mexico

Public healthcare options in Mexico

Private healthcare options in Mexico

Legal residency options in Mexico

Can you still get Social Security if you live in Mexico?

Is it legal to own a firearm in Mexico?

When and How to Transfer Your Money to Mexico to Get the Most Pesos

Learning Spanish? Check out our free lessons on YouTube

Become a Patreon member to get access to our live Q&A sessions as well as our private Facebook group where you can ask us questions. For more information, click HERE.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. They later started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) to share their experiences as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border.

39 Comments on "Linda’s Candid Thoughts about Mexico (VIDEO)"

1. Great job Linda! So, how many pesos was that great breakfast for two?

2. James Norton | July 5, 2021 at 12:07 pm |

Your secret weapon is your wife is fluent in Spanish and you sound good also.

3. Mike Grimm | July 5, 2021 at 12:18 pm |

Greetings from Lake Chapala. We are Mike and Patty Grimm. We enjoyed your breakfast interview. We also have a nice breakfast restaurant here and our two favorite selections are Avocado Toast and Eggs Benedict. Small world isn’t it?

Same experience for expenses as we live well on half of the price vs. U.S. Prior to moving to Mexico, we lived in Ecuador for 7 years. We love America Latina. You are right about the people and friendliness.

Keep up the interesting emails. Much enjoyed

Mike and Patty.

4. John G Williams | July 5, 2021 at 12:19 pm |

I am so glad your channel is doing so great for you…and for us viewers. Linda, you have a very pleasant video personality, voice and you are photogenic. Please, push Paul off camera some and show us more of you.

5. Sheila Donnell | July 5, 2021 at 12:25 pm |

Good afternoon! It appears you are certainly doing well!

Have thoroughly enjoyed your posts & videos in the couple weeks since I discovered you! That includes your breakfast discussions this morning!

Having bought a condo in Hira at Tao 8 years ago -before they even broke ground- I’ve at last moved here & certainly still have soooo much to learn! Thus, will continue to follow & learn from your posts!
    Looking forward to seeing you both in the neighborhood!

Muchas gracias!
    Sheila Donnell

6. Danny Bachand | July 5, 2021 at 12:38 pm |

We are enjoying all your videos, as we are in the process of getting a temporary visa, Thank you

7. Good afternoon. I hope you are well today. How was your breakfast?

Seriously how much did breakfast cost?

8. Great video and so true about the salutations before getting to the meat of any text! There are two other thoughts – when you come to the US, you go to Florida, right? There are different cultures all over the US, and I find there is a difference in helpfulness etc depending on where you live. More rural, more likely to be helpful. And, all the talk is about what is great about Mexico. I know there are down sides too, and it would be nice to hear some of them to balance the discussion. Like what ‘mañana’ means. Some people will never relax into the change in urgency from NOW to ‘maybe in a little while’. And if you are invited to a local’s BD party, NEVER show up at the time you are invited because the party will not start for at least one if not two hours later, and often go into the night, long past our normal bedtime. But, yes, the weather, the very friendly, helpful people, the less expensive lifestyle, the fantastic food, and on and on…

9. Sherry Ann Lee | July 5, 2021 at 1:17 pm |

Sherry here. (Jen’s mom) So good to see yall. I miss everyone and Mexico very much but life here in SWLA is still a wreck and it is taking forever to get back to whatever normal is now. I will be back down there hopefully sooner than later. Love yall! And Linda you were fantastic on camera!

• Hi, great to hear from you. Sorry to hear about SWLA. You guys really took a beating over there. Hopefully we’ll get to see you soon! Take care!

10. Sheila Sullivan | July 5, 2021 at 1:19 pm |

Great interview. Loved seeing and hearing Linda’s point of view.
    Thanks.

11. Loved your breakfast interview. Agree with everything you said. We are permanent residents but because of health issues (move to Mexico as young as you can!), we are snowbirds again. Your video made me so homesick for our piece of paradise. Can’t wait to get back in October and hopefully stay the full 7 months this year (darn Covid). Hearing the birds in the background almost brought tears to my eyes. Keep up the good work you two. YAY Linda!

12. Great video! If you are going to make a video about driving in Mexico, I thought I should tell you something I heard the other day. A friend likened driving in Mexico to driving a grocery cart in a supermarket: you can stop anywhere and talk to a friend; if someone else is stopped, you just drive around them and the drivers going the other way stop for you; you can back up anywhere or do a U-turn if you feel like it; you can motion someone to cross in front of you or go around you; …

13. liz kessell | July 5, 2021 at 1:51 pm |

I miss Mexico so much. Hearing the Grackle thoughout your video was such a lovely sound.
    We vacation in Mexico a couple of times a year and we have travelled all throughout that beautiful country. Funny enough, the Cancun area is a place we haven’t visited, except for an overnight waiting for the bus to Merida. I wonder about all the seaweed. I hear a lot of vacationers complaining about it.

14. Fran Clark-Fiorentino | July 5, 2021 at 2:13 pm |

Linda, you were awesome…soft voice, nice smile! I am so happy for both of you; enjoying life in such a beautiful place. May God continue to bless you both! Fran

15. Hello! We have been following your site for quite some time, appreciate all the information. We traveled to different areas of Mexico for over 30 yrs., enjoyed every trip, miss the people we have met, known,the country,
    beautiful areas, and the traditions, and yes the food. Due to health reasons had to quit traveling.
    You did a good job Linda, in sharing, thank you both!

16. Enjoyed the video, and would love to go live in Mexico or an other similar country, – however can’t convince my wife to leave Canada, – where we have a wonderful life. I will have to continue to practice my Spanish on vacation only, once this Covid craziness is over and we can all travel freely again.

Please continue with the tracking videos, as i really enjoy them and look forward to seeing them.

Cheers Phil, ( Cerca Toronto )

17. Hello Paul & Linda,
    Thank you for all the great tips and advice. I’m curious about how Akumal area will compare to Cartagena or Santa Marta (Being Linda Colombian). Maybe you can share some thoughts.
    Cheers,
    Rafael

18. Brenda Zallito | July 5, 2021 at 4:17 pm |

Great interview Linda and Paul. I agree with what Linda said about the differences in the US and Pau, also. I am headed to the US and I will not be renting a car due to the road rage. I look forward to seeing family and frienads, but, I”m sure I will be happy to get back here. Keep enjoying yourselves and thank you for sharing.
    Brenda Z

19. alice ann hesselrode | July 5, 2021 at 5:53 pm |

Yes the courtesia is one of the wonderful things about Mexico. And I often forget. But I am learning and I am even beginning to practice that when i make phone calls back to my home country, Canada, to take care of a problem with one of my income properties. To not call the plumber straight away and say,” the toilet plugged” But at least to say “Good morning, hope all is well with you,” first. .

20. Good afternoon. We hope this finds you well! We always enjoy hearing from you, Paul, and what a delight to hear from Linda too! Thanks! We look forward to being back in October. And yes, I frequently remind myself that those niceties matter in Mexico. We are so used to jumping straight to the point. How rude of us!!!

21. Great video. I’m sure we’ll meet sometime. I save ALL your emails and videos.
    Only thing I’ve noticed as far as road rage in RM is if I’m in the left lane, WITH my left signal light on, trying to find the exit for a Retorno I am NOT familiar with, they come up behind me flashing their lights at me, then pass me on the right… I don’t do that when I know WHERE the retorno IS, but, for example, the one heading out of the Tulum country club (Across from the Hacienda) is a very FAST maneuver to get over to the exit.. I don’t drive like a grandma, but I’m not quite as aggressive as a Mexican Taxi cab driver either.

22. Dave Fredericksen | July 6, 2021 at 4:43 pm |

Hello Paul and Linda
    It was great seeing you and Lol-Ha again. Almost like being there, meant a lot!
    Looking forward to seeing you guys in October for a short time. We did buy a one way ticket for early December 🙂
    Keep up the great work.
    Dave & Mary

23. Alvin Deveau | July 6, 2021 at 6:25 pm |

We really liked the information that Linda presented while having breakfast!

24. Breaking the ice is the hardest part, whether making videos as in anything else. So please do more joint videos in the future. The driving one sounds like fun….. I’ve driven a lot in Cozumel, but finding parking is what defeats me…. even with the estacionamientos publicos in town! Thanks for all the info you’ve offered through the seasons! You guys are very inspiring! Enjoy yourselves. And thanks!

25. Pat Horner | July 7, 2021 at 12:34 pm |

Super video, Linda. You are so relaxed and personable!!! Continue making the videos!!
    Have a great day!

Pat

26. Helene Guillemette | July 7, 2021 at 6:42 pm |

I live in Puerto Morelos and I agree with Linda, the people are so kind, respectful, and if you have white hair they respect you more because they are family people and their grandparents are precious to them. …. you walk on the street and everyone says Hola, etc…just love it

27. Really liked your conversation over Breakfast. What sticks in my mind for your discription of living in mexico was ” The Conversational Fourplay” to begin a conversation with a local in mexico. Great.

28. Murrell (Matt) Mathis | July 10, 2021 at 2:15 pm |

Hola Paul and Linda. I have been watching your videos, mainly the Spanish lessons (I have been trying to learn Spanish for years). My main problem with the language is not really the grammar so much as I just can’t understand anything that is said when someone is speaking spanish, I can read it okay, I need more vocabulary. Anyway keep up the good work!

• Verbal comprehesion is one of the most difficult aspects of learning a foreign language. The best way to improve is to expose yourself to the language as much as possible.

29. Hi. We are new viewers and really love your videos. Because of your helpful information we are seriously considering moving to Mexico – we’re retired and on a very fixed income. Anyway, we recently watched your video about drinking and cooking with the tap water in Mexico. My question for Linda is, how does the shower water affect your hair and skin?
    Thanks! Mia

• She says it isn’t too bad on her skin but she has to use a clarifying shampoo to deal with the crappy water quality.