We Just Sold our Place in Mexico. Where to next? (VIDEO)

After 6+ years in Akumal, Mexico, we sold our place there. In this brief video, we talk about what’s next for us.

Become a Patreon member to get access to our live Q&A sessions as well as our private Facebook group where you can ask us questions. For more information, click HERE.

Paul Kurtzweil (Q-Roo Paul) was a deputy sheriff in Florida for 25 years before retiring at the rank of lieutenant in 2015. He and his wife moved to Mexico looking to maximize their retirement income. They later started a blog called Two Expats Mexico (qroo.us) to share their experiences as well as information about the logistical and legal aspects of retiring south of the border.

77 Comments on "We Just Sold our Place in Mexico. Where to next? (VIDEO)"

1. Hey I didn’t get a chance to buy your condo!! Not fair

2. You should visit San Miguel de Allende. Even though it is growing faster than we would like, it it a charming, historic and wonderful spot on the planet.

3. Congratulations! Enjoy everything this new opportunity wilm present to both of you!

4. Big congratulations to you guys! Very exciting. We will miss seeing you at Lolha when we go to Akumel, but wish the very best for you in your exciting travels. And maaaaaaaybe a house someday. 🙂

5. Karen Elaine Foster | September 27, 2021 at 4:40 pm | Reply

Can you post in the future what kind of taxes you have to pay after selling a place in Mexico. Do you have a certain amount of time to reinvest the money in Mexico without paying taxes? Thank you for all your posts and awesome español lessons which are the best!!!
    Expats in San Jose Del Cabo

• Capital Gains are very straight forward – 30% of the capital gain on the sale. There are deductions for construction additions to the property. Reinvestment accomplishes nothing. There is a federal statute that allow foreign permenent residents to sell tax free. I would guess Paul & Linda fall into that category. That would be a great video subject.

• Robin R McCarthy | October 1, 2021 at 8:06 am | Reply

Can you please direct me to that federal statute?

• I can’t attach the “actual” statute in this reply, it won’t accept it.. Google it. There are many good explanations on the statute. Send me a WhatsApp (+52-755-172-0009) and I’ll send the docs.

6. Congrats guys! Those are great condos, great location..but I would be like you Paul and want the space and a house. We also like to move around, hence our year in Hawaii right now, so I think Linda is on the right track-excited to see where you guys go! Good luck to you both!

7. We live in Manzanillo, Mexico and love it as it is the perfect weather, very clean, great restaurants and a lot of the conveniences of the states. It has around 160,000 people nice airport and GREAT place to live or visit. Send an email if you ever visit and we can show you around. Be careful as you might want to move here.

8. Congratulations!!
    Very happy for you.
    Sounds like you are heading to some fun adventures.
    Because of you and your youtube posts we have moved to Mexico. We never would have even tried that with our your help.
    We are both in our 70s. My husband’s health was failing fast.
    The doctors here are taking a whole different approach to his treatment and he is improving already!.
    If you are coming to Cabo San Lucas let us know.
    Good luck.

9. Congratulations on selling your home. I agree with your wife. There is so much to see and do in Mexico. Enjoy your journey.

10. Congratulations! How exciting! When you sell your house and start travelling do you have to notify some agency with the Mexican Government every time your address changes?

11. Exciting!!! I feel fairly certain you have visited Merida since you are in Akumal. Make sure you visit San Cristobal de las Casas and San Miguel de Allende. I also loved Patzcuaro. Enjoy! Can’t wait to see the videos.

12. Love your videos. Enjoy your travels and make sure you visit La Paz, BCS

13. Congrats! Change brings new opportunities … like travel and explore. Exciting! Saludos!

14. Congratulations! I’m sure you’ll both meet in the middle, eventually. She’ll tire of the road life, I suspect. I give it two years, tops. Regardless, it’ll be a fabulous adventure. I’m envious. My house severely damaged by Hurricane Ida. Also, my beautiful ‘99 Camaro SS show car and my daily ride, both totaled. The SS is being towed away in 3 hours. It’s possible FEMA will offer to buy me out of my house of 23 years. Have no idea where to go. Traumatized a bit by Ida and repetitive floods. It’s affecting my dream of moving to the Gulf Coast, AL/FL. We’ll see what happens. ‍♀️ Single and free to roam.

• Jeri – you must be somewhere in Louisiana? I’m in Baton Rouge, in the process of moving to Mobile to be closer to my beach rental in Fort Morgan. I have made several trips to the Yucatan in hopes of moving there. Only reason I’m still here is the failing health of my handicapped brother in Hammond – just can’t get that far away for now. So the Gulf Coast beach area will have to do in the meantime. I’m happy to exchange info and ideas if you need to. Cheers!

15. We are fairly nomadic ourselves and technically homeless, however we do spend lots of time in Morelia, it keeps calling us back.HAve fun in your travels, would love to hook up with you sometime.

16. …and, I stayed in one of the loft condos for a week. Very nice!!

17. Marriage is all about negotiating. Traveling around Mexico is a great way to check out different areas. You guys are still young enough to be able to do this. Hope one of your stops will be Lake Chapala. We have been here 12 years and still love it. If you come here, please get in touch. Love to show you around

18. Congratulations on the sale! Be sure to visit Orizaba, up in the mountains on your way to Quaratero, one of the Pueblo Magicos.

19. Congrats! Travel around for a year or so! Discover new places….
    We are headed to Oaxaca-Huatulco & then San Miguel next……I’ve heard Chiapas & Palenque are amazing as well! And Lake Chapala is on our “soon” list, too!

20. Mixed feelings in congratulating you on selling your condo-home–happy you were able to get a good offer, but sad you’ll no longer be our neighbor in the Tao Akumal community. Buen Viajes Y Buena Suerte !!!

As you know, our 2 BR Tao condo with 2nd floor private terrace, quite similar to yours, is also for sale in case others may be interested. We’ll be in touch via our Patreon connection. Saludos, amigos!

21. Congrats on the sale of your condo. I’ve done the sort of nomad living you’re contemplating, and not strictly within Mexico although I’ve visited a number of places here as well. I’ve done 3 months here, 3 months there, and it’s fun to live in various places but can get to be a bit much (however, I “am” older than you guys so it’ll be fine for you!). There are two young couples (I think they’re in their 20s) who have done this sort of thing and vlogged about it for several years. But even they have found their sweet spot, I think, and are more settled now. I wish you all the best, it’ll be fun and we’ll all be looking forward to watching your travel videos and learning more about various areas of Mexico. Buena suerte y vaya con Dios.

22. Hey, there’s no ocean in Tequisquiapan!?
    Would you settle down/stay in a place without ocean/beach access?

23. Congratulations! Can’t wait to see what you have to show us!!

24. Make sure you visit Ajijic in the state of Jalisco in your travels. We can even put you up for a few nights.
    George and Gail Moffatt

25. Paul listen to Linda

26. When we sold our house in CA and moved to San Miguel de Allende we stored our furniture and rented for three months before we bought our house. Looking back, I wish we had taken the chance to travel through Europe and Mexico before settling down in our beautiful house and gardens. We are now not as free to travel with the house and gardens to take care of. We love to travel, but also love being home owners and settled. Don’t waste this opportunity to be free for at least a little while. Good luck with your decision going forward and have fun whatever you do. But be careful, if you visit San Miguel you might end up buying a house within a few days as many have done!

27. How exciting – good for you – can’t wait to hear about your adventures!

28. Why choose? Why not have a nest? AND TRAVEL? that way both Mama Bear and Papa Bear can be happy!!

29. Congratulations on your condo sale- happy travels. We are on Playa Blanca in Zihuatanejo- come check this side of Mexico out! Look forward to hearing more of your next adventures. And interested in what happens after you sell your property- taxes and capital gains process (not your specific dollar amounts!).

30. Awesome! So happy for y’all I’m with Linda travel explore and see where you land! Enjoy.

31. Aww, I’m sorry we won’t get to meet you. We’ll try to keep Randi & Dave out of trouble for you, though!

32. Congrats, you two!!!
    Uh-oh! Sounds like you’ll need an RV for your workspaces until you get the next house! Then you’ll need a list of gated RV parks. Then the question becomes whether to spend nights inside or outside the gates!
    We just had solar installed to keep the ACs on most of the time. So far, so good. Waiting for first bill from CFE. We’re about to hit five years. I’m with you, Paul. Eat the same stuff in the favorite places with your friends and hang out at home with all the crap you dragged down here so you could have a mini USA home -oh wait, that last part is ME!
    Never mind! Enjoy your exciting new life!

33. If you come this way . La Penita 60 km north of Pv. If I have a vacancy no problem. On mefor a few days
    Robi Smallwood
    All the best

34. Congratlulations! We’ll be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your upcoming adventures!

35. Awesome news! Enjoy your travels.

36. Enjoy your travels. Mexico is such a great place to travel with great beaches and great cities. See the magic Puebla bog Tequila, if you have not already been there.

37. I really enjoy your Spanish language videos! If you stop by San Miguel de Allende (Guanajuato), I’ll give you both a free lesson in “sketching Fast & Loose.”

38. Congrats on the move! Chanage is good and after three and half years living in Isla Mujeres we moved to Playacar. Check out http://www.AWA Playacar.com if you love a big gym and pool 🙂

• we have friends that spent 6 mo. in Isla but ended up in Cozumel, buying a house and a permanent move. Is Isla just too small? What was the deciding factor that made you decide to move from Isla?

39. Best wishes to you both and SO glad you will still continue to post about moving to Mexico! If you ever want to return to Isla Mujeres, you can stay at our place. -Patricia

40. CONGRATULATIONS. Look forward to seeing videos on your travels.

41. Arlene Richardson | September 27, 2021 at 7:54 pm | Reply

Very exciting! How fun! Enjoy the adventure! Huge country with so many gorgeous places!!!!!

42. We also sold our house here in the Yucatan after 13yrs, renting now and travelling to many beautiful areas in Mexico. So much to explore and enjoy.

43. Congratulations! Come to Melaque and San Patricio! Small town community with incredible food and restaurants and chefs. Lovely people who welcome everyone!!

44. We wish you the best. We came to MX recently and fell in love with an area and bought a home….cannot wait to put roots down! Have fun and enjoy!

45. Good Luck Amigos! See you soon I hope! It was a great pleasure to be your neighbors for 6 years. We love our home in Akumal! And we would never find it without you two! Thank you!!!

46. Hey guys, I have a house for sale in San Miguel. Come see it!! No strings!!

47. Excellent, we need videos on how the sale and closing goes.

48. Happy adventures to you! Come look us up in Zihuatanejo. We arrive at our condo early November. Much thanks to your influence. Cheers!
    Laura and Bob

49. Come be HOUSE SITTERS with HOUSESITMEXICO.COM! It’s perfect for you! Hundreds have found their perfect place to be by being responsible sitters, and staying for free.

50. Good for you! We have a house in Puerto Peñasco and are taking a year break to do some “nomading” in the US. We are currently “wintering” (it’s still pretty warm)/workamping in our motorhome in the Florida Keys until April 2022. Next nomad spot will be in areas of Mexico. Can’t wait to see your adventures so we have ideas where to go. Enjoy the ride!

51. We are in the same boat! My hubby wants to settle down here in Bucerias and I want to travel to different places for 2 months or so at a time until we are sick of it. Cheers to new adventures. Can’t wait to see where you guys go!

52. Maria K Cavendish | September 28, 2021 at 1:19 am | Reply

Good for you!!! Congrats and happy trails 🙂

53. Michael Anderson | September 28, 2021 at 1:50 am | Reply

You both are two of my favorite people to watch in your Mexico travels. I wish you the very best on your adventure. Be safe and be well always too!

54. You two are both young and healthy. Go and discover the rest of Mexico. Best wishes to the both of you. Let the adventure begin!!!

55. I feel a bit sad about it. But would also like to follow your travels and house hunting. We have a small condo in West Ajijic . Great neighborhood, but have thought about seeing other places in Mexico and maybe one more house. I hear Mazatlan is a less spectacular beach, but more affordable housing. Maybe you can research for us. Have a nice adventure.

56. We are planning to sell our single home near Playa Del Carmen as well. Built in 2015/2016, we retired end of 2017, and at that time we had planned to enjoy this neighborhood for years ahead. We love this area, very central to the Yucatán and everything we need close by. But after the pandemic we miss traveling to other areas even more and that prompted us to change our plans.

Good luck to you guys, and happy travels!

57. I wish you good luck. We travelled in RV for 6 months throughout Mexico in the years 98-99. We enjoyed several places including colonial cities and ruins. However when we chose to settle, we opted for the beautiful beaches of the Mayan Riviera. We have a house in Puerto Morelos. The community is very welcoming and we find all the services there.

• Hello Jean, my husband and I are considering Puerto Morelos. How do you like the area? Can you pay the utilities by credit card or via the internet? We will split our time between the US but want to buy a small place. I know some areas of Mexico require paying in person at the store or office. I am trying to figure out how the logistics of owning a place without being there all the time. Thank you

• Hi Terri! Just read your post! We leave only 5 month’s in Puerto Morelos. The rest of the time in Canada near Montreal. We are Mex resident and have a Bank account. So we can pay for utilities by internet. Same for the person that takes care of the house , garden and pool: bank transfer. Only PM taxes have do be paid at the city hall. But even then, you could take arangments with your house keeper. If you want more info just Email me at gojean26@gmail.com

58. alice hesselrode | September 28, 2021 at 1:45 pm | Reply

Great! I am looking forward to your travel videos and hearing more from Linda. Yeah. She is a woman after my own heart. I have recommended you to many people and now more reason to recommend. Just so you know I ended up in Huatulco because of you.

59. Congrats Paul! Looking forward to following your adventures here and on YouTube. Spending time traveling around before settling down in a house sounds like the perfect dream!

60. I would be pleased to have you come and visit Sayulita on the west coast of Mexico. We live part-time in an intentional eco-green community of 14 homeowners and some renters. Cheers: Dave Myles

61. What a relief, I’m glad I watched the video. I had initially thought this was the beginning of the end and was bummed out that such a great resource was coming to an end. I’m glad that the both of you have decided to continue this under a new focus and wish you the best on your new journey. I’m looking forward to watching more your videos.

62. Ccongrats on your upcoming adventures! After 4 years being year round homeowners in beautiful Merida area, we decided to become”snowbirds” spending summers on the road in our glamorous RV visiting grandkids in VT, autumn in Hawaii with the other grandchild, and winters at our home base in Merida, we believe we have the perfect setup. You oughta give it a try!

63. Hola! I have been viewing your great videos for a couple years now — this one I actually forwarded to my husband! He retired in January and I have been working on him to do a major road trip to Mexico to scout for possible locations to spend at least 6 months out of the year. (This plan is complicated by a. My 90 year old mother who is stuck on staying stateside despite being a fluent Spanish speaker/Mexican American and b. Hubby’s anxiety about Mexico’s safety factor… ah me… ) (This despite yearly trips to Guaymas/San Carlos…)

In any case, congrats on your big move – I’m sure no matter what you do it will be the next installment on your great adventure and you will find the path to… harmony! (Linda is a woman after my own heart as I also have “gypsy feet’ while my hubby is a bit of a homebody…)

Ironically, I was hoping perhaps to buy you both a beer when we visit Cozumel next March! In any event –best wishes and Vaya con Dios!

Kate

64. I agree with both your plans , since your still young check out different places in Mexico and when it’s time you will find and buy a home , safe travels

65. Let me know if you wander to San Felipe, Baja California. I’ll show you around.

66. Congratulations to you and enjoy your travels ! My husband and I have been “homeless “ for 6 years and enjoyed traveling the world. So much to see! We had lots of plans on overseas travel then Covid hit and not having a base was difficult. Now we are considering establishing a base in the Puerto Morelos / Tulum area and splitting time in the US. Unfortunately that is a really long drive and safety on the roads is a big concern. Does anyone drive from the US to QR and if so do you have suggestions on routes and good places to stay or nice towns to visit? Many Mexicans are avoiding the roads and strictly flying because of safety.

• Hi Terri, it’s me again. For a time I was traveling each year from Montreal, Canada to Puerto Morelos. It’s safe but drive only in the day time and take only toll road our big hiway, Had a smal RV and was visiting all the way down. By the way Mex temp import permit for RV is valid for 10 years!